Home: WYSIWYG Forums: WYSIWYG Editor Discussion:
Need help setting up HTMLArea-3.0-rc1

trabob
Novice

Mar 21, 2005, 11:36 PM

Post #1 of 23 (130894 views)
Shortcut
Need help setting up HTMLArea-3.0-rc1 Can't Post

I could not find any instructions on connecting to the program to add a page into the software

I uploaded all the files to /htmlarea/

I set the permissions for cgi to 755 (I only found 2 cgi files) and 755 for the directories, everything else sounds like it should be 644 permissions.

I added

<script type="text/javascript">
_editor_url = "/htmlarea/";
_editor_lang = "en";
</script>

and

<script type="text/javascript" src="/htmlarea/htmlarea.js"></script>

as per instructions to the page I want to edit. I also added

<script type="text/javascript" defer="1">
HTMLArea.replaceAll();
</script>

for editing the whole page as per instructions. But that was the end of the instructions

I went to htmlarea/examples/core.html as per instructions, and everything seems to be working with the exception of the undo action button (it didn't do anything) and the submit button (on example text that is in the core.html) and got a 500 error.

I am not overlly concerned with those untill I can figure out how to bring up the editor with a page from my website in it, but I can not find any instructions on how to do that.

There seems like there should be some address I should type into my browser or add to one of the files (or both) to bring up the page I want to work on, but there is not any instructions on anything to do with that.

I did type in http://www.mysite.com/areahtml/examples/core.html and it brought up that page so I am lost as to were to go from there. Any help would be very much appreciatted.

Thanks in advance

Trabob

(This post was edited by trabob on Mar 22, 2005, 7:25 AM)

trabob
Novice

Mar 25, 2005, 7:30 AM

Post #2 of 23 (130741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [trabob] Need help setting up HTMLArea-3.0-rc1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Code

I saw were 140+ people have viewed this post and not one answer. Does that mean nobody knows how to help me??? Has no one set this program up??

da_moma
Novice

Mar 25, 2005, 7:36 AM

Post #3 of 23 (130738 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Code

I saw were 140+ people have viewed this post and not one answer. Does that mean nobody knows how to help me??? Has no one set this program up??

Well I am in the same boat as you are, and had the same issue.......I have uninstalled the thing and gave up as I could not get any answers Frown I am just rreplying to let you know that I was also wondering the same thing you just posted.

Have a Super Day!

da_moma

ideffect
Novice

Mar 25, 2005, 9:35 AM

Post #4 of 23 (130732 views)
Shortcut
Re: [da_moma] Need help setting up HTMLArea-3.0-rc1 [In reply to] Can't Post

I was having problems for a while my self getting it set up. Here's the code I used to get it working...

Code
_editor_url = "http://www.Your-URL.com/host_members/members/htmlarea/";
_editor_lang = "en";
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://Your-URL.com/host_members/members/htmlarea/htmlarea.js"></script>
// load the plugin files
HTMLArea.loadPlugin("TableOperations"); var editor = null;
function initEditor() {
// create an editor for the "textarea" textbox
editor = new HTMLArea("textarea");

// register the TableOperations plugin with our editor
editor.registerPlugin(TableOperations);

editor.generate();
return false;
}

function insertHTML() {
var html = prompt("Enter some HTML code here");
if (html) {
editor.insertHTML(html);
}
}
function highlight() {
editor.surroundHTML('<span style="background-color: yellow">', '</span>');
}
</script>

Paste the above conde between your <head> and </head> tags and replace http://Your-URL.com with your website address path to htmlarea. Then add onload="initEditor()" to your body tag. Here's an example: <body onload="initEditor()">

Now you need to give your textarea an ID. Here is a sample textarea tag: <textarea name="bus_info" id="textarea" rows="20" cols="50"><textarea>

And that's it. You can modify the config to meet your needs but this is a good starting point to get the editor loaded into the browser.

(This post was edited by ideffect on Mar 25, 2005, 9:38 AM)

da_moma
Novice

Mar 25, 2005, 9:45 AM

Post #5 of 23 (130728 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ideffect] Need help setting up HTMLArea-3.0-rc1 [In reply to] Can't Post

ideffect,

Cyber hugs and thank you!

I will try to get this back installed then this weekend.

You have no idea how grateful I am!

GBU
da_moma

ideffect
Novice

Mar 25, 2005, 10:09 AM

Post #6 of 23 (130726 views)
Shortcut

Wink

If you need more help let me know.

trabob
Novice

Mar 25, 2005, 3:00 PM

Post #7 of 23 (130714 views)
Shortcut

Coodoos and many thanks, ideffect Smile and also to you, da_moma Smile, I guess never send a man to do a womans work Hahaaa as I was beginning to think I was the only one on this planet.

I got an edit panel in the page but the editor is not there, (shows my HTML code in the box)

@ http://www.trabob.com/test.html

Was I supposed to place that code in the editor or on my page that I want to edit??

I will go back and try putting it in the editor and see what happens. I am just so happy to see anything somewere that I wanted to let you know, your input is much appreciatted .

Trabob

da_moma
Novice

Mar 25, 2005, 3:13 PM

Post #8 of 23 (130711 views)
Shortcut

Hi Trabob ,

Cyber hugs to you as well Angelic

Maybe I am too green with this all, starting with basic html and not knowing much about this?

I am stubborn though and do not give up very easy any way. Chmod? No I did not do this and just found out how when I read your first post, so better find out where and how to do that now. This is what I am trying to do if your interested.

I am making a site that teaches online auction sellers the how to build a business from them and also how to bring it offline as well, then we also teach businesses how to use online auctions for advertising, ok......

This editor I wanted to add to the site as a free service so that people cause use it to make their auction templates.

SO back to reading things for me to see about this chmod...too green too green but learning Blush The original directions said nothing about the chmod so off I go looking.

Glad there are some here to speak with!

GBU
da_moma

da_moma
Novice

Mar 25, 2005, 3:23 PM

Post #9 of 23 (130706 views)
Shortcut

Trabob,

I followed your link and saw what you are saying wish I could help you out.

Now my family will be having pizza tonight for dinner, and I am not joking here!Smile

I am sure that ideffect will pass by here to see how we are doing with this, they already have my heart for taking the time to answer so sweet that was.

GBU

da_moma

trabob
Novice

Mar 25, 2005, 3:42 PM

Post #10 of 23 (130702 views)
Shortcut

Hi da_moma Cool

If you had not answered I dont think I would have ever heard from any one SO THANKS for writting. Yea the chmod was in the instructions. Depends on your server, but most are 750 permissions, on my server the number is to the right of the file/directory listing and I just have to click the number and it brings up a window to change it. The instructions said 700 if you can, something about it works faster, but have not got around to it yet to try that, just want to get it running. Hahaha on the green, I moved my site to my new host about a year ago and as they had something simular to what I am trying to install, and when I moved something happened to the html code and ruined every page (I had over 500 pages back then) It took me a year to learn enough about html code to get everything fixed. I recomend you learn it before any problems arrive. Good luck with the new businessSmile Eventually my site will include every business in the world so you may be in there some day Hahaha

See ya

Trabob

da_moma
Novice

Mar 25, 2005, 4:16 PM

Post #11 of 23 (130699 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi da_moma Cool

If you had not answered I dont think I would have ever heard from any one SO THANKS for writting. Yea the chmod was in the instructions. Depends on your server, but most are 750 permissions, on my server the number is to the right of the file/directory listing and I just have to click the number and it brings up a window to change it. The instructions said 700 if you can, something about it works faster, but have not got around to it yet to try that, just want to get it running. Hahaha on the green, I moved my site to my new host about a year ago and as they had something simular to what I am trying to install, and when I moved something happened to the html code and ruined every page (I had over 500 pages back then) It took me a year to learn enough about html code to get everything fixed. I recomend you learn it before any problems arrive. Good luck with the new businessSmile Eventually my site will include every business in the world so you may be in there some day Hahaha

See ya

Trabob

Trabob Angelic

Just sent hubby and son out for pizza for dinner (I realy Did).

No my instructions does not say one word about chmod wonder why?

I am learning html pretty well, enough that I have 6 sites that we are builing on now.

Will check my cpanle out to see if I have that feature under file manager then to chmod before I try it through ftp,

Hope to talk to you later and I think there would have been a reply just takes some time at some places cause they are busy programming. I searched for two hours to find this chat and I am most glad that I did now.

Your site sounds very exciting it will be nice to watch it grow, please keep me posted on that as I love to watch and see how people are growing with thier sites.

GBU

da_moma

da_moma
Novice

Mar 25, 2005, 4:33 PM

Post #12 of 23 (130698 views)
Shortcut

SmileYIPEE got my two cgi files set to 755 through cpanle jeesh that was kewl!

Now back to reading what Else I need to do. TY TY TY Trabob

trabob
Novice

Mar 25, 2005, 9:14 PM

Post #13 of 23 (130688 views)
Shortcut

Hi ideffect
That code you posted I found out is for the editor, and you are right, on needing to put the full path to the htmlarea files, so I learned something,

The only problem is I was asking how to call up a web page to the editor and to save it back to that page. It seems like at least part of the answer is in the <form> at the end of the script. just before it, or after the form, but nothing seems to work and I do not have any idea what I would put in there. Any help with that?? I would think everyone in here either solved that problem to get it to do what it is supposed to, (get the page, edit it, and save/post the page) or needs the same answer on how to do that and you are the only one to offer any help, except the same problem from da_moma.

Thanks

Trabob

seth
New User

Mar 27, 2005, 4:29 PM

Post #14 of 23 (130651 views)
Shortcut

Smile Thank You also. I can get everything to work but dont know how to get it to save/submit

Please Help Again

This is what i have right now, click here

If you want ill give you ftp access if you want to try and do it. If you get it to work ill give you 100 mb of space with php,asp,perl,cgi, support and unlimited bandwidth, (ftp access, no ads at all)Cool

And if anybody esle out there needs web space for free email admin@comservices.ws and ill set it up for you. It would include 50 mb of space with php,asp,perl,cgi, support and unlimited bandwidth, (ftp access, no ads at all)

(This post was edited by seth on Mar 27, 2005, 4:30 PM)

ideffect
Novice

Mar 27, 2005, 5:27 PM

Post #15 of 23 (130645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [seth] Need help setting up HTMLArea-3.0-rc1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey guys,

I've been busy so I have not had time to help you guys.

First a few things. The cgi files are for testing purposes only. Yes the cgi files do need to be chomod to 755 and in some web hosts the files need to be in the cgi-bin folder. This editor is mostly java based so no chmod is needed for the editor itself to work. You just have to make sure the files get uploaded in ascii instead of binaray.

Now the most important thing I need to know is what you are planning to do with the editor(custom CMS, forum, etc...)? What type of form is it getting submitted to? Is it going into a database?

The primary purpose of this editor is to convert textarea boxes into wysiwyg editor via html. It's not a full solution but rather a addon for custom coding.

Right now I see all the current posts and I get a bit overloaded. I'll take a better look at all of them tomorrow.

Until then Happy Easter!

(This post was edited by ideffect on Mar 27, 2005, 5:41 PM)

savior_br
New User

Mar 27, 2005, 10:23 PM

Post #16 of 23 (130636 views)
Shortcut

Hi guys !

I have a another problem with this wysiwyg editor ...

The image,table,color pick popups doest not work !

http://www.gameslife.softhost.com.br/editor/teste.htm

See te code , it is correctly, but the pop-ups dont work FrownFrownFrown

Thnx for help !

ideffect
Novice

Mar 27, 2005, 11:46 PM

Post #17 of 23 (130627 views)
Shortcut
Re: [savior_br] Need help setting up HTMLArea-3.0-rc1 [In reply to] Can't Post

The link http://www.gameslife.softhost.com.br/editor/teste.htm isn't working.

Do you have a pop-up blocker or firewall running? Remember internet explorer now has a built in pop-up blocker and I've seen firewalls interfere with htmlarea. Are there any errors when you attempt to open the color picker?

trabob
Novice

Mar 28, 2005, 4:45 AM

Post #18 of 23 (130617 views)
Shortcut
Re: [seth] Need help setting up HTMLArea-3.0-rc1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Seth

One problem you are having is you do not have the submit form in your script. (for the submit button to appear and work)

probably the easiest way to add it would be to go to my post in the other thread that reads the same as this one but with (cont) in the heading. I pasted the form script in there, and add it to your page after </head> (delete what you have on your page below </head> first). Hope that helps you.

I viewed the source of the page you have and you seem to be missing a lot of script. You may want to look at the html part of the file inside examples/ fully-loaded.html

I just copy/pasted the html code from that one to my page and added the full address to the file. I had to move the test.cgi file from the htmlarea/examples/ directory to the front so it was htmlarea/test.cgi to get it to bring up the test .cgi when I clicked "submit" button.

Trabob

trabob
Novice

Mar 28, 2005, 5:25 AM

Post #19 of 23 (130611 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ideffect

Sounds like we are overloading you SORRY!! I promise you I will set up a test page on my site that will cover all these things for other newbies if we get it working, as it just seems that the script package left out a lot of information for newbies. I have looked at and tried to install over ten different script packages, and not one of them says how to "save and bring up a page you want to work on" which is the most important thing that people want to accompish I would think?

"Now the most important thing I need to know is what you are planning to do with the editor(custom CMS, forum, etc...)? What type of form is it getting submitted to? Is it going into a database?

The primary purpose of this editor is to convert textarea boxes into wysiwyg editor via html. It's not a full solution but rather a addon for custom coding."

The above is probably part of the problem, and maybe these programs were designed for people that had a program to work this with. (the information didn't mention that)

I don't know about the others but I I do not have another program to work with this. I thought it was a stand alone program.

As for me, I want to add it to my site so that people will be able to edit their page(s) that I am giving them on my site, which may include me setting up the page for them or giving them templates to work from. (example) I have a pizza business I added to my site with a menu and prices of items in it. She will be changing the prices from time to time if nothing else, and I was hopeing she could use this to edit her prices or anything else she wanted to do with it. As I am building a world wide site for business everywere you can see how much work this would save me if I can get it working.

I dont know what type of form it will be going to, as I did not know it needed other forms, so anything you can tell me about what kind of forms I need or were I can go to find them would be appreciattedSmile.

On the database, I dont think I have a database for it, or at least I have not set one up for it. Do I need to do that??

Do I need to contact my website host about that??

What would they need to know from me??

Can you touch on the addon for custom coding and were I can find out more about that??

ThanksSmile

Trabob

trabob
Novice

Mar 28, 2005, 5:37 AM

Post #20 of 23 (130610 views)
Shortcut

savior_br
One problem is the link to your page you posted doesn't work ????

Trabob

trabob
Novice

Mar 28, 2005, 5:40 AM

Post #21 of 23 (130606 views)
Shortcut

Sorry above post was answered by ideffect

savior_br
New User

Mar 28, 2005, 10:38 AM

Post #22 of 23 (130593 views)
Shortcut

Hmmm ... I must try the full feature script? it will work ?
coz i copied the sample for an post wath i find here ...

I'll try change to full loaded to see if this works Wink

PS: the page works for me, not broken link Laugh

trabob
Novice

Mar 28, 2005, 11:02 AM

Post #23 of 23 (130590 views)
Shortcut

Hi savior_br

The full version has the "submit" button in it. I forget as I have looked at so many of them but, I think the one you mentioned is just the basic script w/out the button.

It is possible you and some of the others may not have what "we" need to activate this (script-program)

read the other responses from ideffect and my reponses to them in this thread and in the other thread with the same title except it starts with (cont).

ideffect mentioned a "mambo" and the address is in that response, I am reading the info in that mambo website now before I answer him.

Haha on the link works for you, It didn't for me and not for ideffect so I don't know. ideffect offered some comments in his post above to what may be the problem so you may want to read his comments

Trabob

Search for (options)