A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0 - Add-Ons:
htmlArea 2 Generator 1.0

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

Benjamin
Staff

May 13, 2003, 12:51 AM

Post #1 of 21 (16693 views)
Shortcut
     htmlArea 2 Generator 1.0  

Hi all,

Well, I finally pieced together a stable version of my htmlArea Generator, so I thought I'd post it here for you guys in the forums. What this program does is allow you to dynamically build an htmlArea (2.03 hybrid) through a simple-to-use interface. After creating it the way you wish, just click on Generate, and it actually creates the html / javascript for you. I also included lvni900's table modification functionality, so a BIG thankyou to him for that.

Here's a link to the demo. It contains a link to the user documentation from the main page.
http://www.interactivetools.com/staff/ben/generator/generator.html

What I plan on doing is releasing all new versions in this very post once they come out. There's a lot that can be improved and no doubt bugs to sort out. (One juicy one is that occasionally it hangs when trying to boot up. I've been trying to wrap my head around that one for a month now...!)

Anyway, I'm tired. I'm going to bed. :-)
Ben
interactivetools.com

(This post was edited by Benjamin on May 16, 2003, 12:55 PM)
Attachments: generator1_0.zip (108 KB)

mixmuis
User

May 13, 2003, 3:19 AM

Post #2 of 21 (16672 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Benjamin] htmlArea Generator 1.0 [In reply to]  

damnz what a hell of a tool! i like it! great work

chet
User

May 13, 2003, 7:02 AM

Post #3 of 21 (16656 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Benjamin] htmlArea Generator 1.0 [In reply to]  

Great work ! Cool

Luis
Veteran

May 13, 2003, 11:19 AM

Post #4 of 21 (16632 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Benjamin] htmlArea 2 Generator 1.0 [In reply to]  

Congratulations Benjamin! Great work!

Can't hardly wait to see a cgi version.

Don't give up!!
http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

6 ANUR
Novice

May 14, 2003, 8:00 AM

Post #5 of 21 (16571 views)
Shortcut

Great work Benjamin.

BTW do you plan to support htmlArea 3 in this tool ?

Benjamin
Staff

May 14, 2003, 10:50 AM

Post #6 of 21 (16551 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [6 ANUR] htmlArea 2 Generator 1.0 [In reply to]  

Hey Anur,

Eventually, I hope so - but certainly not until the htmlArea 3 code reaches some sort of stable form. Mishoo and I are currently working on it.
Ben
interactivetools.com

joa1
Novice

May 16, 2003, 12:43 PM

Post #7 of 21 (16353 views)
Shortcut

Hi Ben,
SUPERB HTML Area 2 Generator! KUDOS! WOW!... Please NEVER take it out of there!... :)
Also, you may wanna check you' pages. A couple of pointers to samples.html turn out 404 errors as the page is named Samples.html... and your server most probably is 'nix and case sensitive!?
Thought you might like to know.
BestEST!
Joao

Benjamin
Staff

May 16, 2003, 12:54 PM

Post #8 of 21 (16349 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [joa1] htmlArea 2 Generator 1.0 [In reply to]  

Haha thanks very much! :-) - yeah, it's an old outdated hobby site. I'm actually about to move the demo page onto our server here at interactivetools. Mine is way too unstable.

(But thanks for the comments :-)
Ben
interactivetools.com

Luis
Veteran

May 19, 2003, 1:18 AM

Post #9 of 21 (16140 views)
Shortcut

Hi Benjamin!

While working in my Help File (which is a hard task), it came to my mind an idea/suggestion for a future release of your HTMLArea Generator.

What about having the Help File dynamically generated, showing up only the information for the features in use? I'm not a programmer and don't know much about javascript, but I think that it could be done by adding an additional field in this.btnlist, containing the description for each function.

My English is not good, but if you think this is a good idea and agree to incorporate it in a future release of your program, I could help creating a hard-coded version which you could later convert to js and correct in grammar and spelling. Let me know if you think this feature is useful.

Greetings
Luis

Don't give up!!

Benjamin
Staff

May 20, 2003, 10:56 AM

Post #10 of 21 (15943 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Luis] htmlArea 2 Generator 1.0 [In reply to]  

Hey Luis,

Great idea! Though I must admit, I wonder how useful the help documentation would be... I know I'm a little more technically inclined than most people who'd be using the htmlArea, but surely it's pretty self-explanatory? Having said that I'd very much like to take a look at your help documentation - and I can certainly provide a cleaned-up English translation if you need it. :-)

There's quite a few things to address with cleaning up the Generator code, but this isn't a bad idea! Thanks, Luis -
Ben
interactivetools.com

Luis
Veteran

May 20, 2003, 9:57 PM

Post #11 of 21 (15870 views)
Shortcut

Hi Benjamin!

Thanks for your quick response and your willingness to help.

I'll contact you as soon as I have at least a draft of what I think my help file will include and I'll accept your offer to refine the English.

If you finally think it's worth to include the auto-create option in a future version of the generator, I'll be the first to include it in my programs.

Thanks again and greetings.

Don't give up!!

snooper
User

May 25, 2003, 6:19 PM

Post #12 of 21 (15433 views)
Shortcut

Hey Ben

just came by, and saw this - really amazing! excellent stuff!
snooper

hoangnt
New User

Jun 2, 2003, 11:01 PM

Post #13 of 21 (14745 views)
Shortcut

Have some error for generator1_0:
  1. Cannot insert table to form
  2. cannot create hyper link to text
  3. insert image to have chose file with Browse
  4. I send file with error

Benjamin
Staff

Jun 3, 2003, 10:51 AM

Post #14 of 21 (14669 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [hoangnt] htmlArea 2 Generator 1.0 [In reply to]  

Great - thanks for the bug report! I'll look into them shortly :-)
Ben
interactivetools.com

Benjamin
Staff

Jun 3, 2003, 9:48 PM

Post #15 of 21 (14620 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [hoangnt] htmlArea 2 Generator 1.0 [In reply to]  

Hi Hoangnt,

I took a look, and couldn't find anything wrong, but it's quite possible that the bugs are dependant upon particular combinations of buttons / dropdowns, etc. Would you mind posting me back with a few more details about how to reproduce the bugs?

Concerning (1), you will need to include the "Insert Table" button for all of those other table handling buttons to work. Concerning (3), the program just uses the default image upload popup, and that doesn't include a browse button unfortunately.
Ben
interactivetools.com

Fred
User

Jun 20, 2003, 12:45 PM

Post #16 of 21 (13407 views)
Shortcut

Ben,

Thank you so much for your hard work. If you wouldn't mind, though, I have a question about integrating the output of your generator into Article Manager.

Is it just a matter of replacing our current "editor.js" with the one generated?

Because I want to integrate the new table editing functions, which have new icons, I suppose I need to FTP over the whole htmlArea folder, right? And then swap out the editor.js that gets generated?

The Article Manager text areas I want enabled are 'summary' and 'content'. Are these important to the generated editor.js?

Thanks for your patience, I'm a javascript dunce.

Fred

Benjamin
Staff

Jun 20, 2003, 1:30 PM

Post #17 of 21 (13401 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Fred] htmlArea 2 Generator 1.0 [In reply to]  

Hi Fred,

Depending on what buttons / dropdowns you choose, you'll have to update different things. For instance, as you noticed, the table modification button images included in the Generator aren't included in the standard release of htmlArea inside Article Manager.

However, before I proceed, a little disclaimer is required...

In theory, absolutely - you could overwrite Article Manager's htmlArea one created by the Generator. The thing is, the htmlArea Generator was just a pet project which has never been fully tested... you may find problems with it which slipped by unnoticed. As such, I'm a little hesitant recommending it to replace your Article Manager htmlArea...

Okay, disclaimer over. :-) If you do choose to give this a go, make a backup of your whole /htmlarea directory, so you can always revert to your old settings.

----

To get it going, try the following:

1. Create your custom htmlArea through the Generator, and in the "generate" tab, specify the editor name to be editor.js. (You can call the example page whatever you want - I'd just go with the default). This will create two new files - the one you're concerned with is the one in the second textarea, 'editor.js'.

2. Now let's test everything's working properly. Copy and paste the contents of the generated code into two files (the names of which are written just above the textareas), and store these files in the /files directory. Then open up example.html (or whatever you called it) in your browser. Everything works fine? I hope so...! :-)

3. Next (after backing up your old /htmlarea directory), FTP the contents of the /files directory over the contents of your /htmlarea directory.

And that should be it... post me back if you have any trouble. I'd love to see if this works... Smile

Ben
interactivetools.com

egg
Novice

Jun 20, 2003, 6:28 PM

Post #18 of 21 (13379 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Where's the version of the htmlarea folders that have all the icons, etc., that are used by the hybrid editor.js created using the generator?

All those icons have to be uploaded as well, no?

Thanks.

Benjamin
Staff

Jun 23, 2003, 2:45 PM

Post #19 of 21 (13303 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [egg] htmlArea 2 Generator 1.0 [In reply to]  

Hey egg,

The zipfile in the first post contains all those icons used by the editor - once you unzip the whole shebang, they're stored in the /files/images directory. So, when you FTP the contents of the /files directory to your server, that will contain all the images that could be used.

Hope that helps! :-)
Ben
interactivetools.com

egg
Novice

Jun 23, 2003, 3:13 PM

Post #20 of 21 (13299 views)
Shortcut

Crazy Oops, sorry, I must be blind! Thanks Ben! -Eduardo

Benjamin
Staff

Jul 26, 2003, 5:19 PM

Post #21 of 21 (12976 views)
Shortcut

I just updated this script to 1.01, so I'll lock this thread to avoid any version ambiguity.
Ben
interactivetools.com

Search for (options)