htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0 - Add-Ons:
Intro to MOD'ing questions... architecture & combining multiple.

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

apinstein
New User

Aug 10, 2003, 10:43 PM

Post #1 of 6 (4218 views)
Shortcut
Intro to MOD'ing questions... architecture & combining multiple. Can't Post

Hi all-

First of all, thanks to interactivetools and everyone on the forum for the great htmlarea tool and mods... I just found it 2 weeks ago and it's great!

I have gotten htmlarea installed and working beautifully on PHP 4.3.0 under linux, and even added my own 'Create a link to a DB-based page' mod. I understand how it htmlarea works, but there are still a few simple things that I am lost on.

1) Is there a place where I can see a list of all MOD's that are out there? I cannot find one...
2) I don't see a 'formal' architecture for MOD'ing, so I am a little confused as to how I can use MOD's from multiple people without lots of integration issues... is there a way, some kind of plugin architecture?
3) I have created a PHP class that I use to 'create' my textarea-wysiwyg's. If it's useful to others, I would post it, but I don't know where...

Here's what it looks like in use:

$textarea = new textarea_wysiwyg($name, $value);
$textarea->toolbar_enable('subscript');
$textarea->toolbar_enable('superscript');
$textarea->toolbar_enable('insertimage');
$textarea->toolbar_enable('inserttable');
$textarea->toolbar_enable('insertdbpage');
print $textarea->get_control();

For me, it's great, because I use the htmlarea control in different ways on different places. Plus, it makes it easy to integrate into any PHP page and also plays nice with Smarty.

Thanks in advance for any info...

Alan

teddyalf
New User

Aug 11, 2003, 5:54 AM

Post #2 of 6 (4209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [apinstein] Intro to MOD'ing questions... architecture & combining multiple. [In reply to] Can't Post

you can simply add an attachment in your post :) . i don't know solutions for other questions..sorry
bye bye

(This post was edited by teddyalf on Aug 11, 2003, 5:55 AM)

apinstein
New User

Aug 14, 2003, 1:21 PM

Post #3 of 6 (4169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [teddyalf] PHP wrapper for textarea, warn on unsaved changes MOD [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info!

I have attached my PHP class for 'encapsulating' htmlarea. this is the exact code to my htmlarea, which means it has one of my custom buttons (insertdbpage).

Also, I've recently added support for a 'Warn on Unsaved Changes' that I think is very useful. I and a customer were both unhappy recently after clicking a link instead of "Save Changes" button and lost 10 minutes of work Frown

If you want to use the 'warn on unsaved changes' you must edit your 'editor.js' file to add a call to my js routine that provides this feature. This needs to be done in both editor_obj.onkeypress lines.

// add setDirtyForm();
editor_obj.onkeypress = function() { setDirtyForm(); editor_event(objname); }

This will cause the web page (on win/ie) to popup a WARNING if the page is being dismissed (link clicked, close box, etc) before saving the form.

Also, you'll need to add:

onClick="saveChanges();"

to your form's submit input that contains the htmlarea/textarea.

Enjoy,
Alan Pinstein
http://www.showcasere.com
Attachments: textarea_wysiwyg.php (10.5 KB)

squiz
Novice

Aug 18, 2003, 1:58 AM

Post #4 of 6 (4148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [apinstein] Intro to MOD'ing questions... architecture & combining multiple. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had a go at writing a PHP plugin based version of HTMLArea 3. You can check out the forum at:
http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=10961

or the demo at:
http://dev.squiz.net/~gsherwood/htmlarea

If your also using PHP, maybe you'd be interested in developing this by adding your own plugins or improving the plugin architecture?

Greg

webmonkey
Novice

Aug 20, 2003, 1:37 PM

Post #5 of 6 (4123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [squiz] Intro to MOD'ing questions... architecture & combining multiple. [In reply to] Can't Post

Greg, Have you updated or are you updating to the beta release? There is a PHP spell checker in anouther forum.

Let me know.

squiz
Novice

Aug 20, 2003, 4:47 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [webmonkey] Intro to MOD'ing questions... architecture & combining multiple. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have made significant changes to a lot of core components of HTMLArea during this MOD. I have not just tried to make it plugin basedm but also to expand features of it and fix some bugs in the early 3.0 release it is based on. I have also tried to improve the speed (loading of toolbar for example) but it wont be noticeable at the test site as it is only a dev server for internal use.

So what I'm really trying to do with future releases is to find the time to go through the code and see what has changed since my original, work out what that is doing, and put it in if it is a bug fix or something. For added functionality, I will need to rewrite the code as a plugin.

I know of the Spell Checker but just dont have time to take a look at it at the moment. We have already written a PHP spell checker using PSpell in another WYSIWYG we are using as so will probably prot this accross as stage one, but I will take a look at the current HTMLArea MOD to see if it can be integrated.

Search for (options)