A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0 - Add-Ons:
Editing Table & Cell Properties

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

vinayras
Novice

Mar 31, 2003, 11:55 PM

Post #1 of 21 (11921 views)
Shortcut
Editing Table & Cell Properties Can't Post

Hello All:
I have added support for modifying table properties as well as cell properties. This works both with Mozilla(1.3b+) and IE (5.5+).
Modifying Table property in Mozilla:
Just place curser in the any cell and click edit table button, a small window will open for editing table properties. Similiarly, cell properties can also be modified.

In IE, one need to select a table explicitily to edit its properties.

I still dont have any icons for edit table properties button.

Vinay Yadav (vinayRas)
SANIsoft
Vinay Yadav (vinayRas)
SANIsoft
http://www.vinayras.com/
Attachments: cell_prop.gif (0.13 KB)
  insert_table.html (6.53 KB)
  htmlarea.js (53.6 KB)
  cell_property.html (3.48 KB)

schorhr
User

Apr 1, 2003, 1:18 AM

Post #2 of 21 (11903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinayras] Editing Table & Cell Properties [In reply to] Can't Post

Great! ;-) Now this is what I needed... And of course the PHP img upload/browse/insert-script ;)

schorhr
User

Apr 1, 2003, 1:30 AM

Post #3 of 21 (11901 views)
Shortcut
Re: [schorhr] Editing Table & Cell Properties [In reply to] Can't Post

..uhm... Kick me if I am stupid, but table properties opens a alert-box ("select a table"), even though I replaced all old files with yours, and selected the table.

Cell properties works fine though ;)

Also, in the EWE editor there was a button to make tables visible, that had border set to 0 (dottet lines).

...but maybee I am just to stupid ;)

Otherwise its great!

Marcus

vinayras
Novice

Apr 1, 2003, 6:31 AM

Post #4 of 21 (11882 views)
Shortcut

Hello,

Thanks for pointing that silly mistake.
Anyhow i have fixed it.

HTH
Vinay Yadav (vinayRas)
SANIsoft
Attachments: htmlarea.js (53.6 KB)

schorhr
User

Apr 1, 2003, 7:05 AM

Post #5 of 21 (11879 views)
Shortcut

I replaced the file with the new one, but now the HTML Source button (<>) states "Insert & Edit HTML ", and there is a new button with no immage ([x]), and mouseover/alt-text=code view.

I suppose you have a additional Button in your HTMLarea-powered system?

Can you give me some instructions on how to fix it, since I suck at JS? ;-)
Also the Insert new Table needed about 50px more in the height setting since I could not see the OK button, might be because german dialogs are a bit longer?

Anyway, the whole Table thing works great now! ;-)
Only downsides: I can not make invisible tables visible like in the free EWE Editor (similar to htmlarea, http://www.openmymind.net/products/ewe/index.php -> DEMO... no mozilla support yet)
..and a delete cell/row.... insert.... is missing. There was a addon for HTMLarea2 arround, but it will probably wont work with v3, at least not with mozilla :-/
Don't be upset because I am pointing these out :-) Your AddOn still rocks!

Now I just need to figure out how to paste the insert immage Script which is also here in the add on-forum. I wish I knew js as good as php :-/

I hope someone takes himself/herself some time and makes a ultimative htmlArea version out of all add ons... Well, I can dream, can't I? :-(

Ciao!

(This post was edited by schorhr on Apr 1, 2003, 7:14 AM)

vinayras
Novice

Apr 1, 2003, 7:33 AM

Post #6 of 21 (11877 views)
Shortcut

Hello

Here is the image you are looking for. The images of 'View source' and 'Insert HTML' have been swapped for better understading.

HTH
Vinay Yadav (vinayRas)
SANIsoft
Attachments: source.gif (82 B)

schorhr
User

Apr 1, 2003, 7:44 AM

Post #7 of 21 (11875 views)
Shortcut

Hi, thanks, but I did not have two functions, just code view- Is my version out of date?

The popup for editing does not show anything.

vinayras
Novice

Apr 1, 2003, 11:30 PM

Post #8 of 21 (11841 views)
Shortcut

Hello,
I have attached a tar.gz file contaiing the latest htmlarea.js and all popups and images needed to run the HTMLArea addon features. This is my working copy. check it out.
Vinay Yadav (vinayRas)
SANIsoft
Attachments: final.tar.gz (30.6 KB)

schorhr
User

Apr 2, 2003, 1:19 AM

Post #9 of 21 (11839 views)
Shortcut

Thank you verry much (again) ;-)

Keep up the good work!

Lionel
User

Apr 2, 2003, 1:43 AM

Post #10 of 21 (11832 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

would love to install this. Can you please tell me where you made the changes in the js so I do not have to overwrite current one?

thanks

vinayras
Novice

Apr 8, 2003, 12:33 AM

Post #11 of 21 (11713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lionel] Editing Table & Cell Properties [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,

Dowload the latest files and check the diff. Everything is written in comments.

HTH
Vinay Yadav (vinayRas)
SANIsoft

Tonio
Novice

Apr 18, 2003, 10:42 AM

Post #12 of 21 (11517 views)
Shortcut
Little Problem with Cell Properties configuration [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

First, congratulations for your job !!! It's great !!!

But, it seems to have a little bug. To explain it, I'm going to give you an example that could help you better to understand... Indeed, for the vertical alignment of the cells, if you select "Bottom" in the cell_property.html for example and you come back (after having clik on ok of course) one more time on this configuration window, the program has well saved the alignement "Bottom"... but, if you close the window editor and reload another editor with in his code the pTD tag with a "valign" option, it doesn't work anymore (-> undefined, blank selection) and when you change this parameter, it adds to the td tag another "valign" option... so this TD tag has finally 2 "valign" options, that is not pretty good Crazy !!!!

NB: The problem doesn't occur with the align option, surprising ?!? I tried to find the solution on your code but without success, if you have an idea ?!?

I hope you understand my english... Unimpressed

In spite of this little bug, no more remarks about your code... thanks a lot for your sharing! Smile

Tonio

Tonio
Novice

Apr 22, 2003, 10:36 AM

Post #13 of 21 (11385 views)
Shortcut
Another problem ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I've already sent you a post about a little bug in the cell properties configuration interface 2 days ago... (Cf. http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=9333;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread )

Indeed, for this problem, it seems to come from the option "valign" that we can't assign !!! I tried during 3 hours to find why, but without success !!! NB: After the getCode function, the selectedTD.valign is always "undefined" when it comes from a HTML source with in his cell content a already placed option "valign" ?!? Precision : I'working on IE6, could it be the reason ?!? Any other suggestions for this ?!?!? It would be very sympathtic if you could help me because I'm not very experimented with JS !!

But I've reported, to my mind, another issue... and without solution.... yet !Frown

For example, if you have resized a table with the help of the mouse. (It includes a style tag with the appropriate dimensions in the table tag) and the tag "width" is so not considered anymore in case of resizing with the Table property window!! Crazy

Bye, have a good day

Tonio

Tonio
Novice

Apr 23, 2003, 10:34 AM

Post #14 of 21 (11333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tonio] Solutions : Little Problem with Cell Properties configuration [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello everybody !!!

As nobody didn't answer me, I had to find the solutions myself... (and it's not the worst thing !!!) So I'll give you now how I resolved these little bugs.

For the first one, about the the "valign" option, you have just to replace all the "valign" word by "vAlign" in the initial code of "htmlarea.js" to make the code work everywhere. (IE or Mozilla)

And for the second one, about the resizing by the mouse, you have only to change the "table.width" by the variable "table.style.width"... so the dimensions of the table will always set by the "style" option and not anymore by the "width" one.

NB: Sorry for this monolog, but perhaps it will help someone, it's the reason for what I publish it ! Tongue

Bye,

Tonio

ezagent
Novice

Apr 24, 2003, 9:04 AM

Post #15 of 21 (11285 views)
Shortcut
Editing table shouldn't be so complicated [In reply to] Can't Post

I removed the row merge button. Why have a row merge button if it doesn't work? I removed several features from the table, row and cell properties dialogs. My feeling is that, related to color and backgrounds, anything other than bgcolor is overkill because the purpose of a wysiwyg textarea is to make content management easier. Who is a content manager for? Not someone who wants to spend any more time than necessary learning how to use it. I also removed the id, background image, bordercolor and whatever wasn't necessary. What is necessary? Width, height, size, bgcolor. After resizing the components the properties pages, first of all, work, second of all, they're not so overly complicated. I rearranged the toolbar somewhat, removed the resize editor button, included a remove formatting button and added a link button that works with targets and images.

The attachment also contains my ColdFusion image manager. Sorry, no demo available at the moment, but this represents my collection of add-ons all rolled up for CF. You can easily substitute your own preferred image manager. My point here? The editor does not need to address every possible attribute of a tag. Getting it to work is a nightmare and expecting an end user to work with it effectively is a lost cause.

ezagent
Novice

Apr 24, 2003, 9:06 AM

Post #16 of 21 (11287 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ezagent] Editing table shouldn't be so complicated [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's try uploading the attachment again...
Attachments: htmlareaFINAL_CF.zip (115 KB)

Tonio
Novice

Apr 29, 2003, 9:41 AM

Post #17 of 21 (11137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ezagent] Editing table shouldn't be so complicated [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,

I looked you last post and I appreciated what It contains... but I should have a question that could interest you in the same way for your source (if it was not ever the case ?!?) Indeed, for 3 hours now, I've tried to find the way to permit to an user of my wysiwyg editor to replace a simple cell (a <td> one) in a header one (<th>) but it seems to be more difficult what I imagined Pirate !!!

For this, after constating that the tagName attribute was ReadOnly Mad, I found the way to insert a cell (after deleting it) in a row (with the JS command tr.insertcell() but this function implement infortunatelly only a <td> tag and not a <th> one !!! Have you another idea to implement what I want to do ?!?

Thanks for advance for your response, Smile

Bye,

Tonio

Denver Dave
User

May 16, 2003, 2:39 PM

Post #18 of 21 (10896 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tonio] Editing table shouldn't be so complicated [In reply to] Can't Post

Update
-----------
After taking a look at the expanded options in 3.0, it does look like it may have the features that I need discussed below. Looks somewhat overwhelming, I'll have to study the examples - thanks.
------------------------------

Pardon me for jumping in here, this is very important to me. I run several 2.02 editors, and like described in messages above, it is virtually impossible for my users to delete a table row, add a row, modify a cell to span columns. I end up doing it for them and it is very hard for me to search though the html to make changes.

Please view my questions in the context that I love the editor and the free price. I'm really torn whether to fork up the money for one of the commercial versions that allow table structure editing or not. First I thought I should findout what htmlArea's plans were. I'm not quite clear if the tableoperations addons discussed in other threads incorporate what we need or not.

Can someone provide information on htmlArea's direction and if the 3.0 version or some of the addons may be of help for editing table structures.

Thank you - love the product.
Dave

(This post was edited by Denver Dave on May 16, 2003, 3:44 PM)

javi
New User

Jun 3, 2003, 6:30 AM

Post #19 of 21 (10616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Denver Dave] Editing table shouldn't be so complicated [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everybody from Spain:

Please, please, could anyone tell me how to make border of tables visible in edition-time, despite the border property is "0".

Hope someone answer me. Is very important. Thank you?

Luis
Veteran

Jun 3, 2003, 12:15 PM

Post #20 of 21 (10589 views)
Shortcut
Re: [javi] Editing table shouldn't be so complicated [In reply to] Can't Post

Which version? ¿Que versión?

In version 2, it's too complicated to explain in words. If you want, download my editor and search for showborders everywhere to find out the changes.

Don't give up!!
http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

Denver Dave
User

Jun 4, 2003, 2:03 PM

Post #21 of 21 (10545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Luis] Editing table shouldn't be so complicated [In reply to] Can't Post

Of couse the standard way to show table borders it to set the borders="1" or some other number other than "0". However, sometimes this is not the look that we want. Then I set the border to "0" but make cellspacing="2" and bgcolor="black" then in the td make the bgcolor="white" and we have a flat border.

If the table must contain more than one cell, I wrap another one celled table around the table to get the effect.

Pardon me if this is not the effect you were looking for.

Search for (options)