A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
htmlArea v1.00 pre-release - download now

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Aug 19, 2002, 6:25 PM

Post #1 of 7 (5006 views)
Shortcut
htmlArea v1.00 pre-release - download now Can't Post

Ok, here's a pre-release version of htmlArea v1.00. Basically, it's the full version except without the docs or product webpages completed yet. We'll post those as soon as they're ready.

Unzip the file (maintaining the directory structure) and see "example.html" for an example of how to turn a <textarea> into a "htmlArea". : )

edit: I've deleted the attached file. A newer version of htmlArea is available, download that one instead! : )

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

(This post was edited by Dave on Aug 22, 2002, 4:30 PM)

MalaK_3araby
User

Aug 20, 2002, 12:04 AM

Post #2 of 7 (5000 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave] htmlArea v1.00 pre-release - download now [In reply to] Can't Post

I d-loaded my cop and now am off to test and spread the word after that.

Dave, would you please try to respond to my post in this forum when u have time?

Many thanks.

--------------
Sure you can spell it, but do you get it?

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Aug 20, 2002, 1:51 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MalaK_3araby] htmlArea v1.00 pre-release - download now [In reply to] Can't Post

Will do, and I'll respond to your message as well.

interactivetools.com

thankful
Novice

Aug 21, 2002, 2:12 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Just downloaded this, and got it working on our site as a test. The paint bucket icon doesn't work, but everything else does. (I'm using IE 6).
URL: http://nc.healthandhealing.info/test/example2.html

Great stuff you have here... we have sponsor forms with many text boxes, and of course most folks can't do HTML, so this script could be a Godsend for us. But would there be a way to have it function for an entire form, rather for a single text box?

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Aug 21, 2002, 2:44 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thankful] htmlArea v1.00 pre-release - download now [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to hear you got it working!

You need to upload the other HTML files into your /javascripts/ folder. It can't find them and that's why there's a 404 error. (The image button also has an error).

But would there be a way to have it function for an entire form, rather for a single text box?

How do you mean? Do you mean have it turn all the textareas into wysiwyg fields? Or all the text fields?

interactivetools.com

thankful
Novice

Aug 21, 2002, 3:07 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4978 views)
Shortcut

Yep, that was what I'd forgotten.

Our actual forms are returned in perl scripts, but here is an HTML example:
http://nc.healthandhealing.info/prac/prac_sponsor.htm
http://nc.healthandhealing.info/prac/prac_sponsor2.htm

Several of these fields can have pretty extensive text in them (but, not all of them). It just seems it would be a pretty common occurence that there would be several text fields in a single form. And, that the textfields might not be wide enough to each handle a complete menu of formatting tools on each text field. Even if they were across the whole page, it would take a lot of realestate to have the tools duplicated for 5 or 6 textfields.

I was imagining that in a perfect world the editor icons could float on a movable strip over the webpage, and you could use them to format information in any (or selected?) of the various text fields within a form. That may be too specialized, or it may be a large niche need. Dunno. But I like what you folks do here. For another site, I'm considering your Article Manager. Can't find technical specs yet (but I ain't looked that hard).

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Aug 21, 2002, 5:20 PM

Post #7 of 7 (4966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thankful] htmlArea v1.00 pre-release - download now [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh ok, I see. You might want to try only using it for the larger fields on your form (the <textarea>'s). If you used it for them all it would definitely look odd. You probably don't want users entering rich text or HTML in a lot of those fields anyway, just the description type of fields.

You can reduce or remove buttons from the menubar by editing the editor.js file. Just comment out the buttons you don't want displayed. They're in the function called editor_generate(). Also you can completely control the size of the editor and make it whatever size you like.

Hope that helps!

If you want any questions about Article Manager feel free to post in the forum, or just email support@interactivetools.com (or give them a call @ 1-800-752-0455), they'll be happy to tell you whatever you need to know.

interactivetools.com

Search for (options)