A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
problem with links

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

david e
New User

Sep 9, 2002, 7:21 AM

Post #1 of 3 (3196 views)
Shortcut
problem with links Can't Post

If I write a message body that contains a link, for example: www.xyzxyr.co.uk, and I omit to include a subject field, after pressing the submit button the form is programmed to return and say 'you must fill in ...' and of course put the submitted message back into htmlArea. This works fine except that the link in the message gets put back as something like: file:///"http://www.xyzxyr.co.uk////"

A bit of background: I'm using php together with a php templating engine (phpLib) - the htmlArea is used within a template; though I can't see any obvious reason why this may be causing the problem (everything else that I have tried with htmlArea works fine)

Any help gratefully received

David

david e
New User

Sep 10, 2002, 7:09 AM

Post #2 of 3 (3161 views)
Shortcut
Re: [david e] problem with links [In reply to] Can't Post

cracked it! Smile

The problem is entirely due to a php gotcha that is confusing htmlArea.

So, for those of you that use php with htmlArea:- do not forget (as I did) that on some machine configurations php 'automatically' escapes certain characters, such as backslashs with a backslash, that are submitted by a form. So if I submit a message that contains a url (as in the case of a link) php escapes each '\' within the url with a another '\'. This becomes a problem if that message is put straight back into the control that sent it - if the control is a normal textarea the url in the message shows twice as many backslashes while if the control is htmlArea it seems to look even stranger. The solution is simple - remove all additional backslashes before putting the message back into the control (using the php stripslashes() funtion)

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Sep 10, 2002, 9:17 AM

Post #3 of 3 (3155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [david e] problem with links [In reply to] Can't Post

David, thanks for the tip, much appreciated. Glad you were able to figure it out! : )

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Search for (options)