A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
htmlarea 3.0 - what do you want to see?

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kewell
Novice

Jan 29, 2003, 8:19 PM

Post #26 of 35 (4027 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sgarrity] htmlarea 3.0 - what do you want to see? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your outstanding works
From china

jeffro
Novice

Feb 6, 2003, 4:10 PM

Post #27 of 35 (3979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave] htmlarea 3.0 - what do you want to see? [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I don't really think that most people are concerned with being able to use the tool in Netscape and other browsers. I think that so much more can be done with this is a much shorter period of time if you just stick with IE, not to mention the powerfulness of IE's capablities. Here are 2 things that I think can really enhance this tool:
1.) The ability to create nested lists Visually, and to be able to create different types of lists (roman numeral, alphabetical, etc). I know this can be done using the htmlview mode but the people who will be using this tool generally won't know HTML, and nested lists are used frequently. Editing them in the code itself can be too confusing for people who don't deal with HTML regularly.

2.) The ability to maintain the cursor position when switching from WYSIWYG view to code view and vice versa.

Also, I'm willing to help out (for free) in the continued development of this tool if you are interested.
I frequently create content management interfaces, and this tool really helps the end user.

Jeff

Offlander
Novice

Feb 6, 2003, 5:38 PM

Post #28 of 35 (3968 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to make suggestions. You guys are great!

Support for browsers other than IE 5.5 on Windows would be our number one request. Since I don't know a lot about the DOM as it relates to Gecko based browsers -vs- MS products, I don't know what is possible.

But if there is a way to develop htmlArea 3 to work in Mozilla/Netscape, IE, or Safari on the Mac then it would make a huge difference to us and a lot of our business clients that have been switching to Macs (and loving it!!). Cool

-shane

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Feb 6, 2003, 6:10 PM

Post #29 of 35 (3964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jeffro] htmlarea 3.0 - what do you want to see? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions! If you want to help that's great, we're releasing a beta of htmlArea 3.0 soon so stay tuned.

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Feb 6, 2003, 6:11 PM

Post #30 of 35 (3963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Offlander] htmlarea 3.0 - what do you want to see? [In reply to] Can't Post

>But if there is a way to develop htmlArea 3 to work in Mozilla/Netscape, IE, or Safari on the Mac

We have a beta version of htmlarea 3.0 with support for Mozilla 1.3 (on mac or otherwise). We'll release that in the next couple days so stay tuned.

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Offlander
Novice

Feb 6, 2003, 6:22 PM

Post #31 of 35 (3962 views)
Shortcut

SmileCoolLaughSlyCoolSmileWink!!!!

Larentium
New User

Feb 10, 2003, 6:38 PM

Post #32 of 35 (3912 views)
Shortcut

htmlArea is awesome. Dom rewrite sounds wonderful, but I bet browser compatibility will still prove a nightmare for the developers.

I'd like to see the Cut, Copy, Paste, Quote, Reply and Code buttons in this editor added to the next release, or are they already available?

My number one request would be a Spell Checker. A file manager integration would be interesting...

Thanks for the excellent work so far.

Larentium

pdjohe
Novice

Feb 11, 2003, 7:48 AM

Post #33 of 35 (3881 views)
Shortcut

I used htmlArea for email purposes and webpage updates. For my users to use the email better, I'd really like to see the ability to hit the tab button from a 'subject' field and come immediately to the edit area.

I know in Yahoo!Mail's editor, you can tab directly in to your message field. Hitting the tab starts with the menu buttons on my webpage. Is there someway we could set a tabindex or something for this?

Thanks!

jeffro
Novice

Feb 11, 2003, 9:47 AM

Post #34 of 35 (3860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pdjohe] htmlarea 3.0 - what do you want to see? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got an idea for the Word cleaning and other types of cleaning that some people have requested. You could have a "clean HTML" button, that upon clicking opens a popup that contains various checkboxes of options to clean (such as " remove DIV tags", remove <DIR> tags, remove <P> tags, remove <FONT> tags, "tags to lowercase", "attributes single quoted",". Then upon clicking a button on the popup such as "Clean Now", it will call a function on the calling page and pass in parameters based on what they have selected (or just call separate functions based on what they have selected). Here's a function with a few reg. expressions I wrote to clean up pasting from Word.

function cleanHtml(htmlIn){
var htmlOut=htmlIn.replace(/<DIR>/gi,'');
htmlOut=htmlOut.replace(/<\/DIR>/gi,'');
htmlOut=htmlOut.replace(/<DIV([^>]*)>/gi,'');
htmlOut=htmlOut.replace(/<\/DIV>/gi,'');
htmlOut=htmlOut.replace(/<(P)([^>]*)>/gi,'<br>');
htmlOut=htmlOut.replace(/<\/(P)>/gi,'');
htmlOut=htmlOut.replace(/<(FONT)([^>]*)>/gi,'');
htmlOut=htmlOut.replace(/<\/(FONT)>/gi,'');
return htmlOut;
}
-- the g modifier is for global (replace all) and the i is for case-insensitive (match and replace upper and lowercase tags - or mixed case).

I've done this because I don't want any of these tags in the CMS system I have built because the overall page formatting is already there. The only formatting I want to allow is <br> and &nbsp; , but a large function with select cases, or elseif statements could be used to make a function that works based on user selections.

ama
Novice

Aug 14, 2004, 3:55 AM

Post #35 of 35 (3034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jeffro] htmlarea 3.0 - what do you want to see? [In reply to] Can't Post

can you write the whole code

and expline what to pass to this function (( htmlIn)) what do you mean by it>>>

thanks alot

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options)