htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Add-Ons:
Plugins ASP or .net

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

JonoB
Novice

Apr 20, 2004, 7:14 PM

Post #1 of 8 (29223 views)
Shortcut
Plugins ASP or .net Can't Post

Hi

Has anyone converted any of the plugins to ASP or .NET ?

Thanks

Jono.

nikotto
User

Apr 21, 2004, 1:52 AM

Post #2 of 8 (29216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JonoB] Plugins ASP or .net [In reply to] Can't Post

most of the plugins don't rely on a server-side-script... most are pure javascript...

of course not spellchecker or htmltidy...

and i think for a OpenSource-script not too many people would use asp (at least i wouldn't)

mfg

swalch
New User

Apr 23, 2004, 9:23 AM

Post #3 of 8 (29169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nikotto] Plugins ASP or .net [In reply to] Can't Post

I too am interested in ASP.NET and would invest time to port some of the server-side handlers (including the spell checker and Wei's image uploader stuff). Since I am neither a Perl or PHP guy, I think it would be extremely helpful if there was some documentation as to the interfaces between the client-side javascript and the server pages (what parameters are encoded in the URL, etc.)

In my mind, the client side of any plugin should be written in a server-agnostic way and the interface to the server-dependent part should be well defined, thus allowing easy porting of the server parts.

EuphoriasChild
New User

Apr 29, 2004, 3:58 AM

Post #4 of 8 (29109 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JonoB] Plugins ASP or .net [In reply to] Can't Post

Not really Plugins, but to use it with some special features of my CRM, I added a view Buttons, that open ASP Pages in an PopUpWindow and allow you to choose Links or Images from the other Content of the CRM which are given back over opener.editor.surroundHTML()

kimss
User

May 3, 2004, 2:49 PM

Post #5 of 8 (29077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [swalch] Plugins ASP or .net [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the "powerful" plugins, as the Spellchecker and the HTMLTidy rely mostly on serverside modules which are independent from OS. Meaning, the Spellcheker uses the Aspell library which runs both on windows and *nix.

The HTMLTidy uses the tidy library which also runs both on windows and *nix. The accual scripting is really not many lines of code and should very easilly be converted to whatever system you'd like. I would think for example a fluent ASP programmer with some PHP experience would port a typical plugin in 30 minutes.

Maby we are not seing any ASP versions in here is because the ASP coders just wont share their code with the others... Most ASP and .NET developers are developing their software for sale, or for their company and therefor are not able to share / wont share. Whatever their reason, it aint showing up in here, :)

And by the way, I dont know any ASP or .NET myself so I cant help you in that department, pure PHP here.

Kim Steinhaug
kim-at-steinhaug-dot-com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
www.steinhaug.com - www.easywebshop.no - www.webkitpro.com
Norwegian office : +47 88 00 92 45, Swedish office : +46 31 704 43 40

skaue
New User

May 13, 2004, 4:57 PM

Post #6 of 8 (28875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kimss] Plugins ASP or .net [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea, thats probably not so far from the truth. Even though there is a lot of free asp (vbscript) applications out there, its not as much as all the free/open php applications...

However, I am programming asp for a living, and I am interested in working on an image-uploader/image-manager, maybe one similar to a php-version I've seen around in these forums. But one of the problems is that some of the code available for free in php is not free in the asp-world, like editing an image through a web interface.

I'm watching these forums to see what happens on the asp-side, and I want to participate myself, if I only get around to code some (established familyman, with little spare time speaking)....

:)

(This post was edited by skaue on May 13, 2004, 4:59 PM)

eisa
User

May 14, 2004, 8:50 AM

Post #7 of 8 (28856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skaue] Plugins ASP or .net [In reply to] Can't Post

I made (or more specifically mainly rewrote some php-stuff) some add-ons for ASP for the 2.03, and will try to make the same add-ons work for version 3.0. Upload-function for ASP isn't a problem to make, I guess it will be more problems with inserting images and insert link/link to file as seen in my 2.03 version.

Unfortunately, time is also a problem for me.

http://www.savio.no/htmlarea/example.asp | Webdesign

skaue
New User

May 14, 2004, 2:20 PM

Post #8 of 8 (28842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eisa] Plugins ASP or .net [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I saw your add-on. Nice work.
However I'm not sure your solution is the most practical and userfriendly solution (upload with additional searchable info). Its a good idea, but somehow I feel providing a classic tree-view with the ability to create sub-folders would be better. But I'm not convinced on that solution either.

Would be cool to hear from the users of the php-upload-manager (for 3.0) what their experience is. I took a brief look at that one too, and it looked very good, but I missed the treeview (its very userfriendly), and it would be a lot better if you could attack metadata to the files (searchable ofc).

The main idea is to provide an easy way to upload files (images or other) and make it easy to organize the files so they can easily be refound when your looking for them half a year later....

Search for (options)