htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Bug Reports & Fixes:
Bug with <textarea> closing tags.

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

FataLTaLon
New User

Jan 26, 2005, 2:44 PM

Post #1 of 3 (10402 views)
Shortcut
Bug with <textarea> closing tags. Can't Post

Problem: htmlArea can't handle certain textarea closing tags-- "crashes" it.

Browser: IE 6.0.2

Steps to reproduce:

If you click the <> button on the WYSIWYG to switch between WYSIWYG and the direct HTML code mode, and paste the source code to, for example, a form that includes the following code:

<textarea name="comments" cols="45" rows="6"></textarea>

...it will accept it and go back to preview mode. Now switch back to direct HTML code mode (whatever it's called) and it will have changed the code to:

<textarea name="comments" cols="45" rows="6" />

Now-- when you go back to WYSIWYG mode-- all the HTML code will have been cut off and placed within the text area text box, filling it with apparent html code, and killing the rest of the website.

nels
Novice

Jan 27, 2005, 11:17 AM

Post #2 of 3 (10350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FataLTaLon] Bug with <textarea> closing tags. [In reply to] Can't Post

The sam ething happens with <form ...> </form> tags. The fix is to make sure the closing tag is retained. Find this line:

Code
HTMLArea._closingTags = " head script style div span tr td tbody table em strong b i code cite dfn abbr acronym font a title";

and add " form textarea " to the list.

I also added " h1 h2 h3 h4 h5 h6 " to the list to get around a bug in IE that messes up self-closed heading tags in some situations. For example, enter:

<p>text</p><h3 /><h3>heading</h3><p>text</p>

and switch from html mode to wysiwyg mode and back.

Sarpedon
New User

Jan 30, 2005, 12:29 AM

Post #3 of 3 (10297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FataLTaLon] Bug with <textarea> closing tags. [In reply to] Can't Post

It still does that in the lastest version I downloaded today.
For example if you put this in the window under HTML view:

<table><tbody><tr><td><textarea name="comments" rows="1" cols="53"></textarea></td></tr></tbody></table>

and switch to Wysiwyg mode and back to HTML view it'll have taken out the </textarea>.
I put textarea and form into that closingtag line but it didn't help me stop that problem.

Also when I saved a page using the latest version I noticed it threw the positioning of an image off on the page, so look out for that. Don't have time right now to track that down.

Next I noticed in both the original and the newest version if you have an input statement like,

<input type="submit" value="submit" name="B1">

where you are using value="submit" to make the button say Submit instead of the deault Submit Query,
HTMLArea will strip the value="submit" out so you're stuck with the button always saying Submit Query.

Another thing it did to my code on some pages was to place the code all on one line, meaning it took out all the cr lf's I guess.
In FrontPage I got to edit a big long line, while in HTMLArea I could still see lines of code.

Search for (options)