htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Bug Reports & Fixes:
[BUG RC3] SHIFT+ENTER isn't a <br /> On screen it is but output isn't

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

Doopie
Novice

Feb 1, 2005, 3:27 AM

Post #1 of 6 (22785 views)
Shortcut
[BUG RC3] SHIFT+ENTER isn't a <br /> On screen it is but output isn't Can't Post

If i have some text that i want to display Bold and underlined then i press SHIFT+ENTER for the nest line.

In screen i see:
TEST
TEST LINE

But when I save or view the HTML it says in the output file:
<STRONG><U>TEST</U></STRONG>TEST LINE

If i type TEST and disable the Bold and underline and give it an extra space after this text and hit SHIFT+ENTER it works OK and the output is:
<STRONG><U><TEST</U></STRONG> <BR />TEST LINE

What is causing this strange behaviour?

Lukasz
New User

Feb 10, 2005, 1:58 PM

Post #2 of 6 (22691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Doopie] [BUG RC3] SHIFT+ENTER isn't a <br /> On screen it is but output isn't [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the same issue. Whenever you try to insert br (shift+enter on IE) just after the closing tag it shows break on screen but not in html code. I.e. try to break before 'x' - mine fails:

<p><span class="dblue">asdfas dfas</span>xyz cccc</p>

Lukasz
New User

Feb 11, 2005, 9:41 AM

Post #3 of 6 (22673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [workaround RC3] SHIFT+ENTER isn't a <br /> On screen it is but output isn't [In reply to] Can't Post

One more thing that I have noticed under IE (mine is 6.0.2900):

Switch to text mode and paste:

<p><span class="dblue">asdfasd</span><BR/>xx</p>

then switch back to wyswig mode than back again to text mode. The <br/> will be gone. It looks link great IE removes it.

So far 'ugly' workaround is to insert br and something else (i.e. comment). Here is the change:

Code
 		    case 13: // KEY enter  
if (HTMLArea.is_gecko && !ev.shiftKey) {
this.dom_checkInsertP();
HTMLArea._stopEvent(ev);
} else if (HTMLArea.is_ie && ev.shiftKey) {
this.insertHTML("<BR/><!---->");
HTMLArea._stopEvent(ev);
}

this inserts comment, not ideal solution but it works and is invisible to the user

FxF
Novice

Feb 14, 2005, 7:12 AM

Post #4 of 6 (22594 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lukasz] SHIFT+ENTER isn't a <br /> On screen it is but output isn't [In reply to] Can't Post

As a note, the official tag is <br /> (mind the space between the "r" and the "/"). Also, since this is the XHTML compliant version of a line break, it should all be in lowercase.

It could very well be that IE doesn't recognize the tag <BR/> and therefore removes it...

Lukasz
New User

Feb 14, 2005, 7:20 AM

Post #5 of 6 (22590 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FxF] SHIFT+ENTER isn't a <br /> On screen it is but output isn't [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for response, I have checked the <br /> before and it also did not work:(

Lukasz

fstuurman
Novice

Feb 21, 2005, 4:27 AM

Post #6 of 6 (22500 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lukasz] SHIFT+ENTER isn't a <br /> On screen it is but output isn't [In reply to] Can't Post

I notice the same behaviour with <br /> when there is no text behind the tag it is removed (IE as Mozilla browser)
When I have "<br />test text" then it stays.

Same is true for the insert table, in the previous versions a table was inserted with cells which contains a <br /> in them.
I see in the code that for a mozilla browser this is still true, but it looks like they are removed later on.

Kind regards Fred Stuurman

Search for (options)