htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Discussion:
'open' 'save' and 'new' functionality in 3.0?

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

njcajun
Novice

Sep 3, 2003, 3:17 PM

Post #1 of 5 (3509 views)
Shortcut
'open' 'save' and 'new' functionality in 3.0? Can't Post

Hi,

I've tried a bunch of hacks people have posted, and my html directory is a complete mess now, so I'm starting over (I'm not really good at javascript), and I thought it wise to seek some advice before I do - so here's my question:

Does anyone have code that will add 'open', 'save' and 'new' functionality to htmlarea 3? Is this something that's 'on the way'?

I found instructions on how to add a save button, but it didn't work quite correctly and was contrary to all of the comments in the code which said you should use the button register functionality, which also didn't work as described. :( I'm thinking these instructions must've applied to 2.0 or something.

Anyone have code or instructions on how to do this in 3.0?

Is documentation on this stuff coming?

rickroot
Novice

Sep 9, 2003, 12:39 PM

Post #2 of 5 (3462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [njcajun] 'open' 'save' and 'new' functionality in 3.0? [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no javascript or HTML you can write that will open an existing HTML file or save an HTML file to your directory on the server or locally using htmlarea.

That requires some kind of server side programming - ie, PHP, Cold Fusion, Perl, ASP, JSP, Servlets, or some other CGI-type language (C programs, shell scripting, etc.. god help you if you're doing shell script cgi's though)

- Rick

njcajun
Novice

Sep 10, 2003, 8:30 AM

Post #3 of 5 (3445 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rickroot] 'open' 'save' and 'new' functionality in 3.0? [In reply to] Can't Post

I *shan't* be writing any shell CGIs! Crazy

Thanks for the reply. I do write a good bit of PHP (and PERL, lately), but I never did much with JavaScript, so thanks for the info. Don't know why I didn't think of it (JS being client-side and docs being on the server and all).

exorcist
New User

Jun 10, 2004, 2:41 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [njcajun] 'open' 'save' and 'new' functionality in 3.0? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi !

I got a piece of code for the 'save' function. I think it will be useful.

Code
   config.registerButton("save", "save", "addon/save.gif", true,  
function(editor, id) {
editor._textArea.form.onsubmit();
editor._textArea.form.submit();
}
);

chakal
Novice

Jun 11, 2004, 3:14 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [exorcist] 'open' 'save' and 'new' functionality in 3.0? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

In IE, you could try editor.execCommand("SaveAs").
Check execCommand/SaveAs in MSDN.

chaKal

Search for (options)