htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Discussion:
htmlArea 3: Alpha release

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

marmor
Novice

May 21, 2003, 12:27 PM

Post #76 of 95 (13651 views)
Shortcut
Re: [marmor] Fault report [In reply to] Can't Post

I just found a fifth version of 3.0 Alpha (of_htmlarea_0_1.tar.gz, 35KB).

Which of all those version is going to be the base for the final 3.0?

And by the way, htmlarea_3beta_wei.zip is not 51KB as I wrote, but 61KB.

weblogger
Novice

Jun 18, 2003, 8:01 AM

Post #77 of 95 (12132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [marmor] Fault report [In reply to] Can't Post

HI i know it is like joking 4 you but i tried to download & use htmlarea 3 ver alpha but i cant find any link to download it pleas type the link of version 3

thx
I am here 4 share my knowlage

nico
New User

Jun 18, 2003, 10:23 AM

Post #78 of 95 (12114 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Benjamin] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I see that the last official version of Htmlarea 3 was released in March; I'd like to know if in your (users') experience the code is already stable enough to be deployed or if it's better to wait for a later release.

What about having multiple htmlareas in the same page? Would it require major rewrites or simple adaptions?

Thanks for this great tool.

Nico

Benjamin
Staff

Jun 18, 2003, 12:05 PM

Post #79 of 95 (12107 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys,

There's been lots of questions concerning the timeline for the final (or at least a Beta) release of htmlArea 3, so I thought I'd post a short update. As some of you know, I've been working on restructuring htmlArea 3 based on recommendations from Dave (company owner, writer of htmlArea). I've gotten a rough working version finished, but it's not worth releasing it yet - there are assorted bugs to work out, and large chunks to re-write. The biggest problem is time. I really couldn't hazard a guess at even a rough timeline, I'm afraid. The trouble is, htmlArea has to take a secondary importance over our paid clients - we have to pay the bills! Money can be such a pain...

For the moment, your best bet for keeping up with latest updates is through SourceForge CVS. The version in there has certain fixes (e.g. full IE 5.5 compatibility) that weren't in the original Alpha release. But in terms of the robustness of the latest build, I just couldn't say.

I do realize that getting a stable version of htmlArea 3 finished is an absolute priority, and I will devote as much time as I can to it.

---------------

And, hi Nico! - having multiple htmlAreas in the same page is no problem. Both versions 2 & 3 support that! Just include separate editor_generate() functions for each individually named textarea. Or, there's even a replaceAll function that (I believe) you place in the onload attribute of the body tag that will automatically replace all textarea's with htmlAreas.
Ben
interactivetools.com

nico
New User

Jun 20, 2003, 8:48 AM

Post #80 of 95 (11913 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I succeded almost at once to use multiple textareas, but I have a little problem: the cut-and-paste code doesn't seem to

understand carriage-returns: is it possible to turn them to <br>?

Thanks,

Nico

HLHarkins
Novice

Jun 20, 2003, 1:19 PM

Post #81 of 95 (11879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Nico --

In response to your question, we are using a very pared-down version of the HTMLArea tool -- with just the following components:

Bold, Italic, Underline; Paragraph align left, center, right; numbers, bullets, and indents; and <HR>.

Once we implemented the recommended fix for IE 5.5 and put in our own browser detector for IE browsers < 5.5, things were pretty great. The only other hassle for us has been getting the textareas themselves to "lose focus." When the textarea is a required field in a form, our script checks to ensure some input was provided. With the tool as it stood in the initial alpha release, the textareas would not lose focus until another field on the form got focus. This has to do with how the data's transferred from the iframe to the textarea field, I believe. We implemented our own fix for this, and now things are fine. Also, we implemented an HTML stripper to enable our validation script to accurately determine if there was true input into the area or whether it was just HTML from the tool.

Just reply if you need more info, and we can either keep it in the thread or take it offline.

Thanks,

HLHarkins

CyberHawk
New User

Jun 21, 2003, 4:19 PM

Post #82 of 95 (11813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HLHarkins] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

Was wondering if there was a way to get the carrage returns to act like the WYSIWYG editor in vbulletin 3beta. They seem to use div tags for each text input and for a new line they use <div>&nbsp;</div> instead of using <p> </p>

Hawk

Mike Keeney
New User

Jun 23, 2003, 10:27 PM

Post #83 of 95 (11669 views)
Shortcut

Hi Benjamin,

I would like to give V3a a shot, but I would like the latest build. I understand it's an alpha, but it's also reasonable to think the latest is the greatest. I went to SourceForge and there is no way that I could see to get the latest build. Any chance you can post the latest build here? Or, what's the secret to SF?

Thanks,
Mike Keeney

nico
New User

Jun 24, 2003, 11:17 AM

Post #84 of 95 (11605 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HLHarkins] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

If I try to generate the editor in "textmode"

editor.setMode("textmode");

IE doesn't do it but doesn't complain, while mozilla gives "this._doc" has no properties.

What's the correct way to do it?

Thanks,

Nico

nico
New User

Jun 26, 2003, 11:21 AM

Post #85 of 95 (11436 views)
Shortcut

I noticed some inconsistence between browsers:

- when you hit <ENTER> in wysiwyg mode in IE, the corresponding textmode shows <p>

- when doing the same in Mozilla the text is <br>.

Is it possible to make both browsers behave the same way, possibly with <br>?

Thanks,

Nico

kimkohen
New User

Jun 28, 2003, 4:45 AM

Post #86 of 95 (11318 views)
Shortcut
Simplify tagging [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi folks,

I've just discovered HTMLArea and can see huge potential for what appears to be a terrific product.
I have a (super newbie) question regarding how the tags are formed.
Would it be possible to write a function to 'dumb down' the tags to give a more simplified output? I'm thinking along the lines of simple tagging <B></B> for bold and <I></I> for italic etc. I'd be looking at only bold, italic, underline, font and font size (as an actual pt size)
I ask because my interest lies in developing an application where HTMLArea can be used to create output for both web and print and I need the simplified tags for going to print (where I hope to be able to preg replace them in PHP).
Alternatively, would it be possible to create a second 'print only' tagged output which could be stored in a separate column in the database? HTML for normal web use and editing via the browser and the special tags for final print use.
Apologies in advance if these are obvious newbie questions as I have _no_ knowledge of JavaScript and virtually no HTML - I'm from a pre-press and database background.
regards
kim

WilliamBarbary
New User

Jul 2, 2003, 2:41 AM

Post #87 of 95 (11092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kimkohen] Simplify tagging [In reply to] Can't Post

Also a super newbie to the HTMLArea arena.
however, in regards to your question about Simplified tagging,
Have you considered running the resulting file through a XSLT stylesheet?

I've been doing some work with the Apache AxKit project and believe that I can use the HTMLArea to solve some of my design problems. planning on taking the form submission results, and saving it on disk most likely. then reading it in using their HTML->XHTML filter, to make sure the code is well formed. <br> tags come to mind...

Myself I would prefer to surround the blocks in <div> tags.
in anycase, after that, the application of an XSLT stylesheet should be able to normalize the resulting output.

In regards to the development of the code,
Assuming that the code is avalible on SourceForge (I think that's the repository mentioned ) could we (the hopeful users) get a todo list and submit patches?

We all have to make money, but as a whole, we may be able to work faster than a single developer working in a vacume.

kimkohen
New User

Jul 2, 2003, 6:50 PM

Post #88 of 95 (11016 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WilliamBarbary] Simplify tagging [In reply to] Can't Post

G'day William,

Have you considered running the resulting file through a XSLT stylesheet?

I hadn't but that's probably because I have no experience with XSLT stylesheeets (recall I'm from a pre-press background not web development/programming:) It sounds promising though.

the application of an XSLT stylesheet should be able to normalize the resulting output.

so just to be sure I understand this - I'd store the standard HTMLArea tags in MySQL and then, when it needs to go to print, write it to a temp file and then run that file through the XSLT stylesheet (how do I do that?), and then write the simplified tag file out again. I guess it's not dis-similar to what I had in mind with PHP ereg replacing the tags but the generated code seemed like it would be difficult to filter like this.

Where do I start?

cheers

kim

WilliamBarbary
New User

Jul 2, 2003, 10:03 PM

Post #89 of 95 (11012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kimkohen] Simplify tagging [In reply to] Can't Post

Take a look at AxKit.org

They enable you to have your content provider be just about anything and then configure of pipeline of various diffrent types of stylesheets before sending the resulting output to the browser.

I understand that the cocoon project allows similar functionality.

when going to print, you can have your stylesheets transform your source XML into xsl-fo <layout for pre-press> and from there send it through a TeX engine to PDF...

I won't kid you, there is alot to learn, but the power is impressive

wheels
New User

Jul 20, 2003, 1:16 PM

Post #90 of 95 (9894 views)
Shortcut

Alpha release works great in mozilla 1.4, when will it move into beta ann be available for download?

Benjamin
Staff

Jul 21, 2003, 1:08 PM

Post #91 of 95 (9830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wheels] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad it works with 1.4!

But no release date for you yet...
Ben
interactivetools.com

Tobias
Novice

Jul 24, 2003, 6:36 AM

Post #92 of 95 (9602 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Benjamin] htmlArea 3: Alpha release (images) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I'm currently working on the Zope integration of htmlArea 3. The editor does work already Tongue, but: Is it possible that several images are broken? I noticed that ed_color_fg.gif and ed_format_strike.gif cannot be displayed at all; ed_cut.gif, ed_format_sub.gif, ed_link.gif and insert_table.gif can, but don't look right.

Cheers,
-- Tobias --

mmcw
User

May 30, 2004, 1:02 PM

Post #93 of 95 (6254 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mishoo] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you implement the bottle neck button bar solution to 3.0?

In Reply To

I'm still worried about the performance bottleneck in loading the toolbar. I'm not much of a cross-platform DHTML dude, but I was wondering if it was possible to integrate the solution I posted for 2.03 (see : http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=6235;search_string=search_string;t=search_engine)

mmcw
User

May 30, 2004, 1:15 PM

Post #94 of 95 (6253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [squiz] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

I am using 3.0 RC1.

What to change to make your solution work?

squiz
Novice

May 30, 2004, 4:33 PM

Post #95 of 95 (6249 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mmcw] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, but I wrote my own PHP mod and made that change as part of it. You can take a look at the code on the forum for that version at:
http://www.interactivetools.com/iforum/Open_Source_C3/htmlArea_v2.0_-_Add-Ons_F19/HtmlArea3_PHP_Plugin_Based_Mod_-_New_version_%2810-10-03%29_P10961

It's been a while since I did it though and our company is now moving towards an open source Java WYSIWYG we are building - so I have stopped supporting it.

Greg

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options)