htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Discussion:
adding modīs

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

AtK
User

Feb 24, 2003, 5:38 PM

Post #1 of 4 (5401 views)
Shortcut
adding modīs Can't Post

So, now we have htmlArea 3.0 Alpha.

The Question to all the other Userīs and Developerīs is:

what Status have htmlArea 3.0 really for making modīs to this Version?

Iīm asking because i was thinking about to add the other modīs of htmlArea 2.0 to the 3.0 Version, but itīs not usefull to add this modīs if this Version is not the real Release.

any Ideaīs from the Developerīs Side? :-).

Iīm fascinated of the Speed and the Browser-Compatilibty of this Version.. like all the otherīs.

greetz
AtK

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Feb 24, 2003, 10:51 PM

Post #2 of 4 (5393 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AtK] adding modīs [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Atk,

I'd hold off for now, lots of stuff will change, lots of things are broken. We plan to fix them in the coming days/weeks. However, I was thinking about creating a separate forum just for htmlArea addons. To keep all those posts together in one place. What do you think about that?

Some examples of broken things... If you're curious. : )

Pressing enter does different things in IE and Mozilla, in Mozilla it adds one line, in IE, two lines.

The built in browser function "execCommand" behaves differently in both browsers. IE makes things bold like <b>this</b>, where as Mozilla does it <span style="font-weight: bold">like this</span>. We're thinking about emulating everything that execCommand does in javascript, for consistency between browsers. That may not happen for 1.0 though.

Also, we're working on a new system to make it really easy to add buttons. So less code has to change when you want to implement a new feature or add a feature someone else has implemented.

PS: I'm really fascinated by the reported speed difference too... I've been meaning to track down exactly why that was faster. Right now I'm not totally sure. heh. : )

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

redspider
User

Feb 25, 2003, 1:35 AM

Post #3 of 4 (5386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave] adding modīs [In reply to] Can't Post

Think it's a great idea to make a new forum item for the add-ons.

Maybe users with a public accessible site can post the URL also so we can see who is using what and where. Yesterday i found a application that use HtmlArea, must say it's fun seeing where others using HtmlArea for.

For development or re-design add-ons I certainly will wait for a more finished version.
At this moment HtmlArea 2 is doing everything I need (certainly if you know that I first use normal textboxes) so for me there is now hurry and i can wait for a stable release.
But when there is a version 3 I will convert my version to Htmlarea 3 as fast as I can.
greetz

Redspider
Belgium
http://www.tielt.be

AtK
User

Feb 25, 2003, 7:25 AM

Post #4 of 4 (5367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [redspider] adding modīs [In reply to] Can't Post

A single Phorum is to less or?

We have htmlArea 1/2/3a :).

I think a CVS is the best solution *hugh* :).

But in this alpha-release itīs not necessary, cause a lot of things will change.

greetz
AtK

Search for (options)