htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Support Requests:
Newbie needs help getting started.

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

knichel
New User

Jan 27, 2005, 9:35 AM

Post #1 of 3 (11508 views)
Shortcut
Newbie needs help getting started. Can't Post

I have downloaded and installed the beta for htmlarea3. I can see all of the examples and they work fine. I am using FireFox on Mac. I just need a bit of assistance getting started. I have an existing site I wish to use HTMLArea with.

What exactly do I need to do do get an existing textarea to use HTMLAREA?

I am looking for the idiots guide here. I tried to use the examples as a template and have had no luck.

For example, could someone please insert what I need in this example of an existing text area...

<HTML>
<BODY>

<TEXTAREA rows=20 cols=80>Test</TEXTAREA>

</BODY>
</HTML>

I am eternally grateful in advance for the help.

--
Mike

reg
Novice

Jan 27, 2005, 3:54 PM

Post #2 of 3 (11488 views)
Shortcut
Re: [knichel] Newbie needs help getting started. [In reply to] Can't Post

Reference.htm contains about the easiest stuff I've ever seen (and I needed it easy): following is the relevant snippet

Define some global variables. "_editor_url" has to be the absolute URL where HTMLArea resides within your website; as we discussed, this would be /htmlarea/. "_editor_lang" must be the language code in which you want HTMLArea to appear. This defaults to "en" (English); for a list of supported languages, please look into the "lang" subdirectory in the distribution.
  1. <script type="text/javascript"> _editor_url = "/htmlarea/"; _editor_lang = "en";</script>
  2. Include the "htmlarea.js" script: <script type="text/javascript" src="/htmlarea/htmlarea.js"></script>

3. If you want to change all your <textarea>-s into HTMLArea-s then you can use the simplest way to create HTMLArea:<script type="text/javascript" defer="1"> HTMLArea.replaceAll();</script>

Note: you can also add the HTMLArea.replaceAll() code to the onload event handler for the body element, if you find it more appropriate.

Reg

luiga
New User

Jan 30, 2005, 2:36 PM

Post #3 of 3 (11388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [reg] Newbie needs help getting started. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, it's exactly the same information as the reference.html says, but it doesn't work for me anyways. Any other that has ideas about what might be the problem?

EDIT: Oh, I got it to work now. Actually I had to make a non-absolute path to the htmlarea-directory before it worked. And language can't be set to "se". That screws the editor up completely. Gotta check it out.

(This post was edited by luiga on Jan 31, 2005, 12:29 AM)

Search for (options)