A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
htmlArea crashes

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

mbourque
Novice

Aug 29, 2002, 10:27 AM

Post #1 of 5 (5426 views)
Shortcut
htmlArea crashes Can't Post

Sometimes it works, and sometimes not. Win2k with IE 5.5. Here is the error I get before the crash:

iexplore.exe Application Error

The instruction at "0x70c3396e" refereneced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".
Attachments: crash.jpg (18.1 KB)

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Aug 29, 2002, 12:04 PM

Post #2 of 5 (5411 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mbourque] htmlArea crashes [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks very much for the bug report.

Does it crash your browser in whatever page it's in or just in the one you've added it to? Try re-loading this URL a few times and see if you can get it to crash:

http://www.interactivetools.com/staff/dave/htmlarea/

Does the error happen with any other pages (without htmlArea) or has it ever happened before?

Searching on google there's lots of reports of that iexplore error message for all different kinds of reasons, from bad memory to known issues with windows to just about anything else. I've never had it happen to me but I have had IE crash from javascript before. Try clearing your cache, then see if it will cause an error on the above URL and maybe we can track it down.

Thanks again for the report. : )

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

mbourque
Novice

Aug 29, 2002, 12:08 PM

Post #3 of 5 (5408 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave] htmlArea crashes [In reply to] Can't Post

Dave,

It happens randomly on either the same page or different pages. It is not consistent. It may be something else in my file, so I am investigating this too. The page you sent does not crash, but it may have something to do on the content that gets loaded from my page. I also tried on another machine, and the same thing happens randomly. I really hope I can find the culprit. Is this the same exact tool used on your web-page content tool?

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Aug 29, 2002, 12:13 PM

Post #4 of 5 (5406 views)
Shortcut

Yea, it's the same code as is used in Article Manager. Can you send me an URL to the page that crashes (either through the forum, or private message in the forum) or the html of the page and we'll see if we can make my browser crash? : ) We have IE 5.5 on one of our machines here. Does it crash in IE 6 too?

interactivetools.com

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Sep 2, 2002, 6:11 PM

Post #5 of 5 (5298 views)
Shortcut

Michael,

Good news, I was able to get my IE5.5 to crash too! Good news only because repeatable problems are much more likely to be solvable problems. : ) The issue seems to be that the <script> tag that replaces the <textarea> with htmlArea is inside a table and IE is trying to replace the textarea before it finished rendering the table that the textarea is in. IE6 can do this but IE5.5 crashes. Try moving the "editor_generate" script tags outside of the table and let me know if that solves the problem! : )

interactivetools.com

Search for (options)