htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0 - Add-Ons:
Spellchecker (Speller Pages & w/ GNU Aspell)

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

brockb
Novice

Mar 20, 2004, 2:58 PM

Post #1 of 5 (4372 views)
Shortcut
Spellchecker (Speller Pages & w/ GNU Aspell) Can't Post

Good afternoon. I'm not able to use Luis' version of the spell checker because of security implications with Active X controls at our place of business... so I've found an alternative that seems to work great (when using it with text areas or text fields). However, eventhough it works great when not using it with htmlArea, when trying to use it with htmlArea... it still works, but it doesn't put the results back into the text area field after it finds the misspelled words and corrects them. It finds the misspelled words and lets you correct them, but it doesn't put the corrected results back into the htmlArea text area.

It does however put them back into a text area if it is not the htmlArea text area.

I think this spell checker would be a perfect compliment to htmlArea if there was a way we could intertwine the two... but I think it may be just a bit out of my league. Anybody think they could get the corrected results from this tool back into the htmlArea text area?

You should check it out... it seems to be a great tool.

Speller Pages: http://spellerpages.sourceforge.net/index.html

You must install GNU Aspell for Speller pages to work: http://aspell.net/

billspeg
Novice

Mar 28, 2004, 11:23 PM

Post #2 of 5 (4299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brockb] Spellchecker (Speller Pages & w/ GNU Aspell) [In reply to] Can't Post

I am having the exact same problem the javascript is really deep but there is a section on speller pages where the values i think it is window.speller.textInputs.value line 265 of spellcheck.js i think there has to be an htmlArea workaround so that these values get replaced in the editor

rehab_shouman
Novice

Apr 7, 2004, 3:14 AM

Post #3 of 5 (4209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brockb] Spellchecker (Speller Pages & w/ GNU Aspell) [In reply to] Can't Post

i have a very stupid problem and i don't know where is excatly the problem :

i have javascript error "Syntax error", and after alot of tracing the error i found the problem but i don't know the solution.

in spellchecker.php file, this part is what causing my problem:

<script language="javascript">
var suggs = new Array();
var words = new Array();
var textinputs = new Array();
var error;
<?php

print_textinputs_var();
print_checker_results();

?>

because the function "print_textinputs_var()" cause to print more than one line, so its like using document.write in javascript on more than one line and that gives error on javascript....!!!

i guess noone else is facing this problem, i don't know what difference do i have..is it the php version??? i'm really so confused.

THX in advance

mmjaeger
Novice

Sep 21, 2004, 10:58 AM

Post #4 of 5 (3818 views)
Shortcut

how do you get the htmlarea text into the spellerpage.

thanks for your input

brockb
Novice

Sep 21, 2004, 5:16 PM

Post #5 of 5 (3812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mmjaeger] Spellchecker (Speller Pages & w/ GNU Aspell) [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a link to how I implemented htmlarea and spellerpages together. Hope it helps:

http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=27833

-Brock

Search for (options)