A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0 - Add-Ons:
I want to edit AND save to the server

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

digitaltoast
New User

May 19, 2004, 12:56 PM

Post #1 of 2 (3939 views)
Shortcut
I want to edit AND save to the server Can't Post

I cannot get any version I have tried of htmlarea to save directly back to the server.

I had this idea: copy "lives" files to temp dir, edit those files, copy to live when done.

And this should be so easy! I can use globals, my web server has php - everything is OK!

In version 2, it seemed to be adding \ before " etc.

So, I tried version 3 - even though I had no tables at all, I got the "offset" error.

Then I started finding all the enhanced versions. So, in total I have spent perhaps 14 hours trying different versions, and I simply don't see how to save it back directly to the server - it keeps wanting to save on my own machine, and that defeats the entire object!

My php knowledge is limited and my head aches! So, has anyone actually made this simple script to save the page directly back to the server?? The best I can see so far is a version where you download the page, then re-upload via an ftp plugin - but this seems a long way round!

Many thanks.

kwillems
User

May 19, 2004, 2:42 PM

Post #2 of 2 (3931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [digitaltoast] I want to edit AND save to the server [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all: never use globals. Instead: use superglobals. When using superglobals you always know where your variables came from (GET, POST,COOKIE,FILES or SESSION) and more important: superglobals are saver.

In fact, you're problem has nothing to do with htmlArea especially.

What you should do is something like the following.

Make a form with a textarea in it, which of course should be replaced bij HTMArea. After entering or editing the content of the form submit it and write a PHP-script which wil put the contents in your database.

For showing this contents on your site you should write a PHP-script, which will get the required content out of your database and show it in the browser.

I guess this is the main approach. I advise you to make a brief study of PHP. Really it's quit simple.

(This post was edited by kwillems on May 19, 2004, 2:43 PM)

Search for (options)