A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
problem with htmlarea

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

bebil
New User

Dec 8, 2004, 7:47 AM

Post #1 of 7 (3905 views)
Shortcut
problem with htmlarea Can't Post

HI guys,

I have installed the htmlarea as per instructions. I have tested it on a simple HTML file I made, however now I want to implement the htmlarea in my php files. I've done exactly the same as I did for the basic page, however the php page doesnt seem to work with the installation.

the textarea that I want the htmlarea to be applied to doesnt show, its just invisible. Not sure why. I also get a javascript error: Invalid source HTML for this operation.

A few questions I have which are not covered in the docs:
Do you need the <form> tags for the htmlarea to work?

does the
<script language="javascript1.2" defer>
editor_generate('overview');
</script>

have to be before or after the textarea?
can it be in the <head> with the other javascript?

I have more than 1 textarea on the page, could that possible be causing the htmlarea not to work?

thanks in advance
Bebil

jonnyl
Novice

Dec 8, 2004, 11:49 AM

Post #2 of 7 (3895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bebil] problem with htmlarea [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it is possible to edit files with dynamic content. You can get htmlArea to edit either the file directly or it's output. Either way you end up with an impossible situation. You should focus on editing strictly html which then can be included in a PHP-page.

htmlArea will not recognize the <?= ?> tags and simply ignore them, hence they will dissapear as soon as you save and replace the file.

I would say that htmlArea works best with a database. You can save HTML content to the database for inclusion in a PHP page.

guyofsound
New User

Dec 11, 2004, 1:36 AM

Post #3 of 7 (3825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jonnyl] problem with htmlarea [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the same symptoms on my page -- workes great on an HTML test page, but when put into a PHP page it doesn't display the editor or the original textarea field. I'm not trying to edit PHP files, just use PHP to insert the editor code.

Scott

jonnyl
Novice

Dec 12, 2004, 4:20 AM

Post #4 of 7 (3792 views)
Shortcut
Re: [guyofsound] problem with htmlarea [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, something is wrong with how you implement htmlArea into the page. If you send me your php-file I can take a look and see if I can find the problem. Meanwhile take a look att my implementation in JSP, attached below, and see if it helps.

Also check out this post. There's a good chance it will solve your problem.

http://www.htmlarea.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=33452;t=search_engine

(This post was edited by jonnyl on Dec 12, 2004, 4:36 AM)
Attachments: htmlArea.jsp (6.80 KB)

bebil
New User

Dec 17, 2004, 4:41 AM

Post #5 of 7 (3636 views)
Shortcut

is there any way that we can get it to work with <? ?> tags? because obviously the text will be outputted from the php.

If htmlarea can't help us is there another tool/code/whatever that can assist us?

thanks in advance.
Bebil

jonnyl
Novice

Dec 17, 2004, 7:11 PM

Post #6 of 7 (3594 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bebil] problem with htmlarea [In reply to] Can't Post

You can get it to work with HTML area in so far as making it ignore those tags. But it is problematic. If you for example write:

Code
<?= "Hello" ?>

And then save it, sure enough, this will be parsed as a PHP snippet and display "Hello". When you load this into HTMLarea again this snippet will not be visible unless you are in HTML-mode.

But sure it works, but I would say it's bad style to use it as a coding environment. Confusing to say the least. htmlArea is good for editing layouts and contents not dynamic scripting.

bebil
New User

Dec 20, 2004, 9:01 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3510 views)
Shortcut

any suggestions on an alternative html area for dynamic scripting?
thanks

Search for (options)