htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
htmlArea will not show up in my textarea ... Please help!

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

denimpoo
New User

Dec 28, 2004, 11:05 PM

Post #1 of 9 (1884 views)
Shortcut
htmlArea will not show up in my textarea ... Please help! Can't Post

I've dug through as many posts as I could and tried everything I've read and I still can't seem to get it to work. I'm pretty sure I have the code right. (Please see below) I've placed the HTMLarea folder in the root directory and have set up a form. Any help would be most appreciated.

<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<script language="Javascript1.2"><!-- // load htmlarea
_editor_url = "htmlarea/"; // URL to htmlarea files
var win_ie_ver = parseFloat(navigator.appVersion.split("MSIE")[1]);
if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Mac') >= 0) { win_ie_ver = 0; }
if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Windows CE') >= 0) { win_ie_ver = 0; }
if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Opera') >= 0) { win_ie_ver = 0; }
if (win_ie_ver >= 5.5) {
document.write('<scr' + 'ipt src="' +_editor_url+ 'editor.js"');
document.write(' language="Javascript1.2"></scr' + 'ipt>');
} else { document.write('<scr'+'ipt>function editor_generate() { return false; }</scr'+'ipt>'); }
// --></script>
</head>

<body>
<form name="form1" method="post" action="">
<textarea name="textfield" cols="60" rows="15"></textarea>

</form>
<script language="JavaScript1.2" defer>
editor_generate('textfield');
</script>
</body>
</html>

bootlicker
Novice

Dec 29, 2004, 8:47 AM

Post #2 of 9 (1856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denimpoo] htmlArea will not show up in my textarea ... Please help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you tried using the complete URL to the htmlarea folder? "http://yourdomain.com/htmlarea/"

denimpoo
New User

Dec 29, 2004, 10:22 AM

Post #3 of 9 (1851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bootlicker] htmlArea will not show up in my textarea ... Please help! [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried that ... no luck ... I'vm gonna try uploading the scripts onto a different server and see if it has anything to do with my provider. - D

bootlicker
Novice

Dec 29, 2004, 10:36 AM

Post #4 of 9 (1848 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denimpoo] htmlArea will not show up in my textarea ... Please help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm...I just copied your code and tried it on my server (changing the URL, of course) and it ran just fine. I would give you the url to have a look, but it's behind a corporate firewall Frown

I really think it's in the URL. Are you using a URL and not a path?

bootlicker
Novice

Dec 29, 2004, 10:39 AM

Post #5 of 9 (1847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bootlicker] htmlArea will not show up in my textarea ... Please help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, another idea. Try putting your page into the htmlarea folder and running it. If it works, it's not your server, it's a URL issue.

denimpoo
New User

Dec 29, 2004, 12:55 PM

Post #6 of 9 (1840 views)
Shortcut

Ok, I uploaded the same script (changed the URL) to a different server and stil running into the same problem. II must be doing something that should be so simple so seriously wrong.

Here's the URL if you'll take a look.

www.teamdavidtoo.com/htmlarea/test2.asp

The path to the HTMLarea folder is as follows:

teamdavidtoo.com/htmlarea

And that's exactly what I've placed in the URL path with the test file inside of the HTMLarea folder.

It's been on 2 servers and neither works. Thank you for helping me with this.

bootlicker
Novice

Dec 29, 2004, 1:02 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1837 views)
Shortcut

Put in "http://www.teamdavidtoo.com/htmlarea/" (that final forward slash is important).

I just put your complete URL into my script (exactly as above) and it worked just fine.

denimpoo
New User

Dec 29, 2004, 1:16 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1835 views)
Shortcut

You know what?

You can just call me an idiot for not considering the fact that I was trying to make this work on a G5 Macintosh using Internet Explorer and Netscape. Lesson learned for a newbie who didn't read the FAQ's before diving into this with a Macintosh.

I'm sitting here at home now over my lunch hour and checked it with IE on my PC and it all works!

Thanks so much for your assistance. I apologize for not reading the FAQs more thoroughly. In any caes, thanks for your patience and time.

D

bootlicker
Novice

Dec 29, 2004, 1:19 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1832 views)
Shortcut

Oops!

Well, I don't know how many hours I've spent sweating over code that won't run and it's because I've missed the obvious Unsure

Take care,

mark

Search for (options)