A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
um, duh . . .

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

bloominidiot
New User

Feb 1, 2005, 3:43 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2055 views)
Shortcut
um, duh . . . Can't Post

ok, I am a REAL idiot! I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use this! Do I need an ASP based site? a forms based site?

Are there true step-by-step instructions as to how to use htmlarea for a novice?

kingmoore
Novice

Feb 2, 2005, 12:09 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2026 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bloominidiot] um, duh . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

the directions given tell you exactly what to do. if you cannot understand them, you need to hire a web developer.

Luis
Veteran

Feb 2, 2005, 5:32 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2016 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kingmoore] um, duh . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

kingmoore:

This forum is supposed to exist to help to whoever doesn't understand the instructions whether they were given or not. If you have not a possitive answer please don't reply. I'm pretty sure somebody will come with a real answer.

Don't give up!!
http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

Luis
Veteran

Feb 2, 2005, 5:40 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2013 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bloominidiot] um, duh . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi bloominidiot:

Htmlarea doesn't work by itself. It needs of somekinde of server-side scripting to post in the server the documents you create in HTMLArea.

The purpose of HTMLArea is to allow RICH HTML in a textarea, without having to write the HTML yourself.

As for your question, Yes you need both. You need to have your HTMLarea inside a FORM and a script (ASP, PHP, CGI, CMF, JSP, etc). to process the form and store the results in the server.

This last part is out of the scope of HTMLArea, that's why you won't find too much information regarding and this part is not for novices. You need to have a little bit of experience in programming some server-side language, However, once you have integrated your HTMLArea it becomes a valuable tool for the most novice of the novices.

Greetings

Don't give up!!
http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

kingmoore
Novice

Feb 2, 2005, 6:38 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Luis] um, duh . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

i appologize! i didn't mean that to come off in a negative way at all. i appreciate the product being here and this community. i am also a developer, and am aware that many people don't understand the scope of web development and would be better off served hiring someone to help them get things done right. i will state myself more eloquently next time :).

bloominidiot
New User

Feb 3, 2005, 6:28 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Luis] um, duh . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

This is exactly the info I needed; thank you VERY much for your answer, and for taking the time necessary to respond with such useful info!

Search for (options)