A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors


Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
lost text

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.


New User

Feb 3, 2005, 9:40 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1780 views)
lost text Can't Post

I have a problem with randomly losing text when posting using htmlarea 2. I have actually not been able to duplicate the problem on my computer, but users are indicating that they occasionally experience this problem. I have a form with 4 textareas, each with a unique name. I have placed the editor_generate script at the end of the page right before the </body>. Normally the users indicate that they are editing some existing data that has been saved in a sql server database. They will retrieve the data and everything looks good. They will make some changes and click save. most of the time everything works as advertised, the data is saved and everyone is happy. Occasionally however it seems the all of the textareas end up transferring with nothing in them so when I save them in the data base I overwrite what was in the database with nothing, losing all that was there. If anyone else has experienced this let me know, especially if you have solved the problem.

New User

Feb 4, 2005, 4:08 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1769 views)
Re: [Ted] lost text [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe this problem has been solved. It appears that is was a timing problem. I once particular case the user could try to save the page before it had completely rendered. In that case the htmlarea was empty.


Feb 5, 2005, 12:05 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1764 views)
Re: [Ted] lost text [In reply to] Can't Post


I had the same problem on a CMS a made; everyone was working fine and no fault occured. But on an a day i edited some records myself ... you can guess what happened.

I made a solution like this

<!-- Begin
function loadImages()
{ document.getElementById("hidepage").style.visibility = "hidden";
// End -->
<body OnLoad="loadImages()";>
<div id="hidepage"
style="position: absolute;
background-color: #efefef;
layer-background-color: #efefef;
height: 100%;
width: 100%;">

Of course you can add a preloding notification.

(This post was edited by kwillems on Feb 5, 2005, 12:07 PM)


Search for (options)