A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0 - Add-Ons:
AddOn Discussion

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

kmiller
Novice

May 2, 2003, 11:10 PM

Post #1 of 8 (7343 views)
Shortcut
AddOn Discussion Can't Post

I would like to pose a question so that I cna better understand somthing.

Why does it seem necessary to make these image/file managers so complicated not only in the coding but in the htm appearence? I mean the code isn't even very modular so that it can be handled in a proper cvs enviroment. What happens when you want to adda a button or a feature, hours of work? Why go through so much trouble to make everything look so windowsey when the look is from windows 95? I just want to understand.

schorhr
User

May 5, 2003, 4:27 AM

Post #2 of 8 (7304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kmiller] AddOn Discussion [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, those Image Browsers/Uploaders do look nicer then a simple popup window with a upload button and a list of pictures. Everyone who is making a CMS should be able to insert a small upload and browse script by themselves, there are plenny available, and they are also easy self made.

Some people share their self made ad ons with us, and I am verry happy that the number is growing. Those Adons are probably fitting into their own systems, so they might have features or designs or even code that will not work out for your personal needs-

Unfortunaly, there is only one way to get exactly what you need: Do it yourself ;-)

On the web are so many upload-script tutorials which allow everyone with a brain to customize it and get it to work with htmlarea if you need / dont need some functions.
For my part, I am happy with the fancy adins, and I dont mind sitting down half a hour to get it to work as I want. If it takes longer, I write my own scripts.

Luis
Veteran

May 5, 2003, 12:34 PM

Post #3 of 8 (7282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [schorhr] AddOn Discussion [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice reply!
I hate that people that only spends time in the forum to criticize what somebody else is doing, instead of making it better and then coming back to share their improvements.
(ok. maybe they don't know how)

Don't give up!!
http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

Luis
Veteran

May 5, 2003, 12:50 PM

Post #4 of 8 (7278 views)
Shortcut

Kmiller:
1.- The mods are in the way they are, not to fit your taste, but to improve the functionality of HTMLArea.

2.- Complicated? According to who? Where is defined what simplicity means?

3.- The most important, because people that has taken the time to do them and the will to share them want so!

I think "simple" and "complicated" are subjective words. It depends on the ability to reason of each one.

I'm replicating below some of your own posts. Maybe you can read them aloud and listen to yourself.

1.- "I am pretty good with php and mysql as well as integrating wysiwyg editors, send me a link and I will take a look."

Very arrogant!

If you are that good integrating WYSIWYG editors, why don't you integrate this one in the way that you better like?

"This mod does not do any filtering for single quotes(') span tags, style tags, macros, yadda yadda yadda. Essentially this works for older evrsions of word but what if there is a table in the document or and image or a hyperlink, if the article is stored inte a sql database for example the sql just got pooched and you will never be able to reload the article into the editor from the database because of all the ms crap code they put in the backend. Unfortunetly word makes a document its own webpage and a filter needs to take all of that stuff out that could affect the query strings and the storage implementation itself. Below is an example of somthing that would work on newer packages.... "

Maybe you are right, but why don't you post an address where to see this mod working, instead of posting some code (borrowed from another editor) that will not work and without any documentation?

You say it is better than the original one. Nobody has been able to prove it.

and finally, your own words will give you the answer to your question:

"For god sakes man, build your own, its not that hard! It takes longer to rip code and make it work for you than make it yourself."

Even when everybody is free to post whatever they want here, since this is an open forum, personally I appreciate more a post with a silly question or a small contribution than those that try to disqualify the work of others.

Don't give up!!

schorhr
User

May 5, 2003, 12:50 PM

Post #5 of 8 (7277 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Luis] AddOn Discussion [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, the ones who critizise must not be suprised when they earn critisizm themself ;-)

Sure, I would love if people would explain a bit more what they did, but this is open source, and some people dont have lots of time, but still share their work.

The last time I looked at some free script and was mad about the missing documentation and functions, i wrote a similar script myself.

Even if someone has problems with scripts, they can still ask in a messageboard like this-
Sometimes even the creators try to help... But un-nice critisizm does not give you any reply at all sometimes.

Just that no one gets me wrong, I understand what the point of this post was, but I just tried to point out some stuff- there are allways two sides!

Thanks!

Marcus

kmiller
Novice

May 5, 2003, 1:37 PM

Post #6 of 8 (7273 views)
Shortcut

Hai-

I am so happy. I was hoping for a heated discussion and dreams do come true! I feel I should address somthing right off the bat, I was not critisizing the code or the people who post my question is why do people make add on with such flashy html? What I mean by this is that the html code is enourmous and very convoluted making updates to the addon more werk and if you aver want to do a redesign it is an overhaul. Now that that is out of the way......Luis......ohhhh.....Luis.

First off alot of the code here is great, most of the CMS solutions I see are for webdesigners not customers. There is a huge difference. Customers are stupid, they don't know jack and can't learn it quickly, which requires a dummy solution. This is why I make dynamic websites with mysql and php (and yes I am very good at it, arogance is one thing, confidence wins you the bid) I am more of a back end programmer so I look at things like modularity, updates, CVS!!! Does anyone here know what CVS is or how it works? If you know what CVS is you will understand my line of thinking.

I want to give props to a man who recently posted some code, great job, this is software engineering people, this is modularity, this is a great job! This is how htmlarea should look in the future.

http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=10961#10961

So why don't I post code? I do sometimes, I go to alot of forums, some people have better code, its not a competition. There is a difference between bragging about code you write and contributing and Luis you do both, but I have yet to see any werk done on the SourceForge CVS for htmlarea??!?!?!?!? I will not post my entire code because I don't use htmlarea or any other for that matter, I made my own from about 8 months of research and trial and error. I dont have a webpage editor, custoemr would break their webpage, I have a very nice and ocmplex article managements system than after much trial and error is bullet proof. I like to contribute ideas help out with problems if I can and maybe post code if it will be useful to someone. Also for your imformation I have sent Benjamen a snippet of code for a visual table editor.

Image/File uploads.... Has anyone heard of checking all incoming data??? For god sake it is a 777 dir. I have yet to see someone who checks for the name of the file and fixes it, checks the file format, checks the file itself, is no one worried about someone crashing a website or attatching code? SECURITY! md5 or ldap or somthing.

As for the borrowed code I posted, no duh, this forum is not about hand holding Luis (I apologize if you actually are a teacher) it was a start. My filtering is much more than that right now. If you are a ateacher let me answer the rest in a simple manner your used to seeing.

Complicated - not modular, not easily updatable, a pain in the bum to read.

Simple - modular, easy to update, easy to overhaul.

Phrase of the day - "Software Engineering"

Anyone can make a webpage, anyone can code, not everyone can design and implement a solution.

On a final note, I think that the work done by Interactive tools is good, htmlarea is effective and clean, and I am sure these guys have a nice development system. Also alot of the ideas and code presented in the forum are outstanding thats why I check it out almost every day. So instead of attacking some one for asking for a discussion on the style of coding for HTML maybe you should read the post for what it is, a question prompting an intelligent discussion on the coding style seen most often in this forum and many others.

Thanks for the time.

kmiller

Luis
Veteran

May 5, 2003, 7:34 PM

Post #7 of 8 (7252 views)
Shortcut

First of all, I regret for having misunderstood the intention of your posting and I truly apologize for my reply.

Now I see clear what you mean and let me answer why I do it in this way: Because I don't know other.

I'm just a beginner with less than two years since first involved in Web design and less than one year in scripting and although I know a little bit of Perl and have implemented some complicated and sophisticated CMS too (Maybe not so modular, easy to update or easy to overhaul, but they work and my clients are satisfied) this is my first incursion in Javascript. Most of the things I've done for HTMLArea, are not more than experiments. My lack of knowledge doesn't allow me to do it better, although I strive to learn everyday. I know my coding is not good from a programmer point of view but, when I get something work I feel very satisfied. I'm certain that the day when I'll be able to code and implement a solution in an optimal way is coming, if I keep striving.

I'm not a teacher nor a programmer, far less a software engineer. I'm an architect by profession, learning this magic of computers by myself. (never had a formal education in this). The little bit I know, I've learned it sitting in front of my computer hitting some keys and reading some books. From time to time, Bingo! I get to hit the right key and things work. Maybe this explains you why you have not seen my work in the SourceForge CVS.

I agree with you in something. HTMLArea is getting out of our hands. I'd like to have the knowledge and the patience to clean it up and put everything together in a comprehensible manner for everybody, (Software Engineers or dumb clients).

I hope you to accept my apologize and even when it was not my intention to be offensive I must confess that my anger got out of control. (I have to learn how to manage that part).

Greetings.

Don't give up!!

kmiller
Novice

May 12, 2003, 1:23 PM

Post #8 of 8 (7179 views)
Shortcut

Hai-
No problem, we vented all done, to bad the discussion seemed to have died though ah well. heheh

Kevin

Search for (options)