A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0 - Add-Ons:
Check Spelling

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

remi.clavier
New User

Jun 6, 2003, 1:39 AM

Post #1 of 7 (6902 views)
Shortcut
Check Spelling Can't Post

How to use in my own HTML Area a check spelling as this used in this post windows ?

Luis
Veteran

Jun 6, 2003, 12:09 PM

Post #2 of 7 (6879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [remi.clavier] Check Spelling [In reply to] Can't Post

The only working workaround for HTMLArea is using the user's Word's Spellchecker. It requires the user to have ActiveX enabled and the site added to trusted sites.(Tools/Internet Options/Security).

You can test it at http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea/

Greetings.

Don't give up!!
http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

kmiller
Novice

Jun 6, 2003, 2:49 PM

Post #3 of 7 (6874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Luis] Check Spelling [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello-

I don't use htmlarea, I built my own but I have been looking at the spellcheck option on and off now for quite some time. I tried yours and cannot get it to check anything, what are all the steps I need to do to get it to work on my pc (WIN2000/XP IE6)? Also what kind of code is required to implement this feature?

kmiller

-hasn't been checking the forums for awhile.

Luis
Veteran

Jun 6, 2003, 3:25 PM

Post #4 of 7 (6874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kmiller] Check Spelling [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Kmiller, glad to hear of you again.

In your browser, click on Tools/Internet Options/Security

Select Trusted Sites and then click on the button that reads Sites.

Add http://webstationone.com to the box labeled Add this website to the zone. and click ok.

From the previous screen, Click on Custom Level and enable:
- Run ActiveX controls and Plug-ins. and
- Initialize and script ActiveX Controls not marked as safe for scripting.

and it should work. If I'm missing something, try the other ActiveX settings.

The code is this:

else if (cmdID == 'spell') {
if (confirm("This function works when only the text is selected.\n\n* Make sure your selection does not include images or other objects as they might be lost.\n\n* If the text you want to spellcheck is inside a table, You will need to select either the complete table or the text inside a single cell. If a table is partially selected the spellchecker will return unexpected results.\n\n* Make sure to select complete paragraphs. If you select single words, they will be split in a new paragraph.\n\n* For most detailed instructions click on the Help icon.\n\nTo continue click OK. To make changes before proceeding click Cancel")){
editdoc.execCommand('copy');
if (editdoc.selection.createRange().text != "") {

CheckDocument(); return true;
}
else {alert('Nothing to spellcheck. Please select the text you want htmlArea to check.\nTo avoid unexpected results, we recommend you to select complete paragraphs.');}
} }

function CheckDocument()
{
oShell= new
ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
oShell.SendKeys( "^c" ); // copy
oWord = new ActiveXObject("Word.Application");
oWord.Documents.Add();
oWord.Selection.Paste();
oWord.ActiveDocument.CheckSpelling();
oWord.Selection.WholeStory();
oWord.Selection.Copy();
oWord.ActiveDocument.Close(0);
oWord.Quit();
var nRet= oShell.Popup( "HTMLArea finished checking your document.\nApply changes? Click OK to replace the corrected words.",0,"Spell Check Complete",33 );
if ( nRet == 1 ) {oShell.SendKeys( "^v" );}// paste
}

Don't give up!!

rehab_shouman
Novice

Apr 14, 2004, 4:51 AM

Post #5 of 7 (6122 views)
Shortcut

do i have to register any extra activeX controls befor i use the editor?? because everything is working just fine but the spellchecker isn't working !! i followed all your steps but still...!!!

Thx for helping in advance

rehab_shouman
Novice

Apr 14, 2004, 5:10 AM

Post #6 of 7 (6121 views)
Shortcut

i figured out the problem :)

now i have another one: if i have a sentence like : "hi theu how are you" and i make spell check it retuens: "hi

them

how are". it puts the checked word in a new<p>.

Luis
Veteran

Apr 14, 2004, 11:13 AM

Post #7 of 7 (6109 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rehab_shouman] Check Spelling [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi rehab_shouman:

Unfortunatelly, this is the way as Word return partial selections. I've not found a way to avoid it. That's why I put an alert recommending to select complete paragraphs.

Greetings

Don't give up!!

Search for (options)