A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0 - Add-Ons:
Form Editor and other nice add-ons.

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Luis
Veteran

Mar 13, 2003, 4:27 AM

Post #1 of 26 (9758 views)
Shortcut
Form Editor and other nice add-ons. Can't Post

I'm working in a most complete form editor, based on the exellent MODs developed by Ivni. Everything is integrated in one single button and the pop-up pallet is tabs-style. I'm adding abiliity to setup styles and mouse events and control of optional, default and required attributes. See screen capture here. i have also achieved in removing the red dotted style in preview-mode.

1.- in the insert_form.html file, susbstitute

var text = escape("<FORM 'border:1px dotted #ff0000;height:20px'");

with:

var text = escape("<FORM class=borders");

2.- In the configuration section of editor.js add:

this.bordersStyle = 'border:1px dotted #ff0000;height:20px';

3.- Make a search for: // create editor contents (and default styles for editor) and just below

html += 'body {' +config.bodyStyle+ '} \n';

add:
html += '.borders {' +config.bordersStyle+ '} \n';

when you submit the form for saving, you can either strip out the class=borders or leave it as is. If you don't declare it in the styles of your new page, it just will be ignored.

I also have integrated small add-ons, most of them from MS command identifiers: Refresh, Undo, Redo (not stable).

Remove Format, Right to Left, Left to Right, Insert Paragraph, and a Yiddish-Hebrew keyboard emulator, for people that, like me, need to create pages in Hebrew from a western computer (based on the Benjamin's French characters inserter. It works only with Unicode Fonts and the browser encoding in Unicode UTF-8 I'm working in another for Cyrillic.

Right now, my files are literally a mess, so I need to find the time to clean them up for posting. Meanwhile, you can see the additions at http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea/test3.html

Don't give up!!
http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

(This post was edited by Luis on Mar 13, 2003, 4:30 AM)

Benjamin
Staff

Mar 13, 2003, 4:24 PM

Post #2 of 26 (9730 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Luis] Form Editor and other nice add-ons. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow!

Wow!

Can't WAIT for the code. And holy SMOKES your htmlArea has a lot of features. I think it may be time to start developing some better ways to organize the buttons & toolbars...

Great work.
Ben
interactivetools.com

Luis
Veteran

Mar 13, 2003, 5:11 PM

Post #3 of 26 (9722 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Benjamin] Form Editor and other nice add-ons. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Benjamin:
I agree. As we keep adding features to HTMLArea, we are not going to have room for so many buttons or the menubar is going to be bigger than the textarea.

What about sub-menus similar to any other program, organized according to the nature of the functions?

That way we would need to have just a few buttons. Word is a good example. File Edit View Format Insert etc. (or whatever that makes sense) and displaying sub-menus onmouse over or onclick, showing the options available for that category. In addition, it would help to reduce the loading time and would make the user to feel most comfortable working in a program that looks-alike the one they are customed.

My knowledge in javascript and DHTML is even worse than my English and right now I have not a clue on how to do it, but if somebody gives me a hint I could catch the idea and do it myself.

Regarding the Hebrew keyboard emulator, as you originally developed the French characters inserter, I think this is a question for you:
How can I insert those character in other fields besides HtmlArea? I guess with OnFocus but I don't know how to do it. Could you help me on that?
How can I call CMDID from another place different to the menubar? What I want is to take the LTR and RTL buttons appart of the menu bar and put them inside the Hebrew keyboard emulator. Is that possible?

Greetings and thanks in advance.

Don't give up!!

redspider
User

Mar 14, 2003, 1:34 AM

Post #4 of 26 (9700 views)
Shortcut

Luis,

Nice work man !!

Your sollution for the Form buttoms is a great idea. I also was searching for a sollution for managing the many buttoms in the editor, but i think your idea is great

Only one small thing, the form functions are original from Basmul and not from Lvni
greetz

Redspider
Belgium
http://www.tielt.be

AtK
User

Mar 14, 2003, 7:35 AM

Post #5 of 26 (9682 views)
Shortcut

WOW!

If you need help, or if i/we can help you, post the source, we┤ll have a look at it and help you as good as we can :-).

greetz
AtK

Benjamin
Staff

Mar 14, 2003, 12:17 PM

Post #6 of 26 (9660 views)
Shortcut

Hi Luis,

Sure I can help out on the special character insertions! But I'll have to get back to you on this - I'm getting backlogged, here! :-)

> How can I call CMDID from another place different to the menubar? What I want is to take the LTR and RTL buttons appart of the menu bar and put them inside the Hebrew keyboard emulator. Is that possible?

And yes, this is perfectly possible too. Sorry for being so hopeless - will respond soon!! Smile

You might want to post your code here, too - there are lots of other very capable developers who may well help (Atk...? :-)
Ben
interactivetools.com

Luis
Veteran

Mar 14, 2003, 5:30 PM

Post #7 of 26 (9644 views)
Shortcut

Thanks a lot Benjamin, Atk and everebody else.
I appreciate there is not selfishness here.

I'm certain that working as a team, ideas flow better and awesome results are achieved.

I'm going to work hard this weekend cleaning up my files (and my mind).

Don't give up!!

saman_sweden
Novice

Mar 15, 2003, 2:57 PM

Post #8 of 26 (9608 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I'm working in a most complete form editor, based on the exellent MODs developed by Ivni. Everything is integrated in one single button and the pop-up pallet is tabs-style. I'm adding abiliity to setup styles and mouse events and control of optional, default and required attributes. See screen capture here. i have also achieved in removing the red dotted style in preview-mode.

1.- in the insert_form.html file, susbstitute

var text = escape("<FORM 'border:1px dotted #ff0000;height:20px'");

with:

var text = escape("<FORM class=borders");

2.- In the configuration section of editor.js add:

this.bordersStyle = 'border:1px dotted #ff0000;height:20px';

3.- Make a search for: // create editor contents (and default styles for editor) and just below

html += 'body {' +config.bodyStyle+ '} \n';

add:
html += '.borders {' +config.bordersStyle+ '} \n';

when you submit the form for saving, you can either strip out the class=borders or leave it as is. If you don't declare it in the styles of your new page, it just will be ignored.

I also have integrated small add-ons, most of them from MS command identifiers: Refresh, Undo, Redo (not stable).

Remove Format, Right to Left, Left to Right, Insert Paragraph, and a Yiddish-Hebrew keyboard emulator, for people that, like me, need to create pages in Hebrew from a western computer (based on the Benjamin's French characters inserter. It works only with Unicode Fonts and the browser encoding in Unicode UTF-8 I'm working in another for Cyrillic.

Right now, my files are literally a mess, so I need to find the time to clean them up for posting. Meanwhile, you can see the additions at http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea/test3.html

very complete editor

I have q.

do you know any Enter and back function for the keyboard

please let me know

thanks

Luis
Veteran

Mar 18, 2003, 4:00 AM

Post #9 of 26 (9498 views)
Shortcut

Find the code in the attachment. I'm still working in the form editor. I'll be posting updates as soon as finished.

Enjoy it and feel free to make suggestions.

By the way, I moved my test editor to:

http://www.webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

Luis

Don't give up!!
Attachments: htmlarea.zip (121 KB)

Luis
Veteran

Mar 18, 2003, 4:15 AM

Post #10 of 26 (9494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AtK] Form Editor and other nice add-ons. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure you can help.

I'm a beginner in javascript, so I'm sure the code for the forms editor can be optimized. There are many things to be done as for example:

1.- a better menubar

2.- Editing options to forms (Right now I'm working on insertion only).

3.- Integrate the link option to text and images in the same tool.

4.- Add the ability to have A Name= , A HREF= and TARGET in the same function, allowing to have <A HREF="this" NAME="that" TARGET"_blank">

5.- Work around the Undo/Redo misbehaving

and etc. etc. etc.

Ok. This is what I think according to my needs. Maybe we should ask for suggestions to everybody.

I just uploaded my files. If you have any suggestions, I'll appreciate them. Best Regards.

PD. Just in case you dont see the previous posting:

I moved my test editor to: http://www.webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

Luis

Don't give up!!

(This post was edited by Luis on Mar 18, 2003, 4:17 AM)

bchatterley
Novice

Mar 18, 2003, 11:51 AM

Post #11 of 26 (9471 views)
Shortcut

The work you have done on the htmlarea editor is super. I did find one small thing however, the "Delete Row" in the dropdown menu is missing. In earlier versions it was there. Hopefully just a quick. Thanks again for all of your work. Im working on an asp based form posting addition that will allow users to build and save new web pages as well as modify existing pages through the editor. Basically, Website in a box kind of thing.

bchatterley
Novice

Mar 18, 2003, 12:25 PM

Post #12 of 26 (9466 views)
Shortcut

I just downloaded your latest version of htmlarea editor just to find out it is PHP. Not sure how this thing went from redspiders asp version to your latest version in PHP. I haven't used perl for 6 years and don't plan to start again. Do you know if there will be or is an asp version of your latest htmlarea editor? While I'd drop back to redspiders version, it is not all in english and is missing some of the refined addons you have developed.

Thanks,

Bud

Luis
Veteran

Mar 18, 2003, 12:44 PM

Post #13 of 26 (9462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bchatterley] Form Editor and other nice add-ons. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good catch!
All the available Table's options are in editor.js, just uncomment the option you want to show up in the context menu. They are between lines 1834-1865 of my editor.js file.

Regarding your second posting, in the best of my knowledge the image manager has nothing to do with redspider's. It was developed by somebody else in the forum (I don't remember the name and I'm not in my production computer right now to obtain the information).

Anyway, I also feel frustrated when something I need is available in ASP only (I still love perl). If my memory keeps working right, I'd bet this image manager is based on ASP and converted to PHP (maybe you are right and it's the redspider's one modified), therefore I'm certain you can find it somewhere in this forum or doing a search in a major search engine.

Don't give up!!

(This post was edited by Luis on Mar 18, 2003, 12:58 PM)

bchatterley
Novice

Mar 19, 2003, 1:24 PM

Post #14 of 26 (9397 views)
Shortcut

Ok, I gave-in and loaded PHP for Windows. Now after a couple of hours trying to get everything to work, here's the problem. PHP works, but when I go to Insert image I get the following errors in the directory/file window. Notice: Undefined Variable: Maxsize in d:\web\htmlarea\config.inc.php on line 76. The same type errors go on and on with "in dir", Warning: /html/gallery failed to open Undefined argument etc. Any ideas what I need to do?

Thanks,

Bud

Luis
Veteran

Mar 19, 2003, 2:52 PM

Post #15 of 26 (9387 views)
Shortcut

I don't know how windows servers work (I work in Unix), but it seems to me that it has something to do with the paths.
You are using back slashes but your error message shows fore slaches ┐┐??

Regarding to the dir failed to open, in unix are errors related to chmod permissions. I don,t know if setting permissions in windows is also required.

Don't give up!!

doug
Novice

Mar 20, 2003, 10:06 AM

Post #16 of 26 (9333 views)
Shortcut

Luis,

There seems to be a problem with the full screen mode.
It takes forever to do anything, 2-3 seconds for a charater to show up.

Here is the problem code in function editor_updateToolbar

Code

// check if buttons are set in the config

var IDList = Array('TableProperties','RowProperties','InsertRowBefore','InsertRowAfter','DeleteRow','InsertColumnBefore','InsertColumnAfter','DeleteColumn','CellProperties','InsertCellBefore','InsertCellAfter','DeleteCell','SplitCell','MergeCells','SplitRow','MergeRows');

for (var i=0; i<IDList.length; i++){

var found = false;

for (var j=0;j<config.toolbar.length;j++){

if(config.toolbar[j]){

for (var k=0;k<config.toolbar[j].length;k++){

if ( IDList == config.toolbar[j][k]){

found = true;

}

}

}

}

Very nice work though.

Doug

(This post was edited by doug on Mar 20, 2003, 11:15 AM)

Luis
Veteran

Mar 20, 2003, 1:58 PM

Post #17 of 26 (9308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doug] Form Editor and other nice add-ons. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the advise.
I don't see nothing wrong in that segment of code but I've got good news. I found the bug.

Replace
// popup editor
if (cmdID == 'popupeditor') {
window.open(_editor_url + "popups/fullscreen.html?"+objname,
'FullScreen',
'toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=yes,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes');
return;
}

with:

// popup editor (original V2.0)
else if (cmdID == 'popupeditor') {
showModalDialog(_editor_url + "popups/fullscreen.html?"+objname, window, "resizable: yes; help: no; status: no; scroll: no; ", 'popupeditor');
}

then: replace <HTML> with <HTML STYLE="width: 800px; height: 600px; "> (or whatever the dimensions of your monitor are)

in fullscreen.html

This will work beautiful.

Don't give up!!

doug
Novice

Mar 20, 2003, 2:01 PM

Post #18 of 26 (9306 views)
Shortcut

There is not anything wrong with the code, it just takes a long time with all the looping.
I commented out that code and everything seems to work OK for me.

Doug

bchatterley
Novice

Mar 21, 2003, 12:04 PM

Post #19 of 26 (9243 views)
Shortcut

I believe the problem does concern the path, but it appears that, after spending over 7 hours trying to get this to work, it has becaome apparent that your version simply won't work on a Windows based IIS server. No matter how I try to define the paths in config.inc.php, they don't work (insert image has errors). The config.inc.php file you provide has a different set of path terms than the original htmlarea dirwalk.asp file and it appears your php file dosen't rcognize windows based absolute paths which are in the form "c:\something\something else". This is vey disappointing since you have obviously spent some time developing what is no dought the most complete hymlarea editor yet.

Is there anyone out there that has or can get this version of htmlarea to work on an IIS windows based server using PHP?

Thanks

Bud

bchatterley
Novice

Mar 21, 2003, 5:47 PM

Post #20 of 26 (9223 views)
Shortcut

I have tried everything and can't get the image thing to work. here is my path statments in the config.inc.php file.

// This is the FULL path to the directory where the program files
// are located.
// NOTE: If you put it in your "web root" directory, the $ROOT and
// $PATH settings will then be the same. DO NOT add a trailing slash.
$PATH = "d:/web/htmlarea";

// This is the FULL path to the directory where your website files are
// located on your server (Your web root). DO NOT add a trailing slash.
$ROOT = "d:/web";

// Set to the full url to access the value you set for $ROOT
$PREVIEW = "http://its.bz";

// Set to the full url to access the value you set for $PATH.
$URL = "http://its.bz/htmlarea";

I continually get the error on line 76: Undefined variable MAXSIZE d:\web\htmlarea\config.inc.php.

and

Line 36 error in d:\web\htmlarea\browseimage.php

CAN YOU PLEASE fully explian each of the path settings as they are confusing. both path and root say they are the root directory. Just where are these settings supposed to point. As far as the the / and \, IIS must put the \ because thats a windows thing.

Thanks,

Bud

Luis
Veteran

Mar 21, 2003, 6:02 PM

Post #21 of 26 (9220 views)
Shortcut

I regret I can't help.

First. As I have explained several times in this forum, the image manager is not of my authoring. I'm using it as I downloaded, I just changed the paths to my server and it worked without any problem.

Second. I have never used a Windows based server so, I don't understand how they work and if this version is or is not suitable for Windows.

Third. My knowledge in PHP is absolutelly nothing. ZERO. My programming language is Perl and my server is Unix.

Anyway, if it is of help to you, there are some other very good PHP Image Managers in this forum. DSEARLES' for example. It works with PHP newer versions. I'm using it in other site. If you don't find it here. I can post my copy, but once again, I don't know how PHP works, so I can't help with technical questions on it.

Don't give up!!

(This post was edited by Luis on Mar 21, 2003, 6:07 PM)

bchatterley
Novice

Mar 22, 2003, 9:26 AM

Post #22 of 26 (9186 views)
Shortcut

Ok, now I am totally confused. I don't know what PHP is either. I thought is was part of Perl. All of your pages have PHP extensions and the terms being used for the two different versions of the htmlarea editor are asp and php. There is no mention of Perl.

Maybe I installed the wrong program interpeter. I installed PHP, not Perl because all of your pages use the php extension. But you stated that you know nothing about PHP and use Perl. How were the php pages developed and should I have installed Perl rather than PHP to run your htmlarea editor? Could that be why I am having all of these "undefined" statements. By the way, what is the extension for Perl if not .php, perhaps cgi?

Thanks,

Bud

Tzvook
Novice

Mar 22, 2003, 6:39 PM

Post #23 of 26 (9173 views)
Shortcut

Hi Bud
You're a bit confused in here :-)
As much as I can see, Luis is using a slightly modified version of my php Image browser mod (with Sharkom's help)..... Mod is in php, part of it was taken from another php aplication (the dirwalk.php)...

All is php out there, not perl... perl extention is .pl or .cgi, both perl and php works fine on win and *nix servers, though win is not exectly an operating system but a collection of bugs :-) and though it's fine to work on it for personal use, It's not recomended to be used as a webserver (very hackable, slow and is simply bad for ppl's helthMad)

anyway, unfortunatly I have to develop and to host on both op systems and there's also an asp solution (Image browser) in asp (atk I think or redspider) ... just tour the forums and find it, I got it to work fine, but it was long ago :-)

And - last thing..... as much as I like my solution, it's not the best solution, There's a better one , so take a look in here:http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/forum.cgi?post=6391
I use it too now, just pay attantion to the instructions (there's a place you need to put the path from the server's root and it might be tricky :-)

Folks
I made an amasing mod !!!
A file-manager mod ( recognise kinds of files and gives the right icons, for now just 14 kinds of extentions, move, copy, delete files, CHMOD files, all with a yes/no approve, getting into directories from the "defined root" can edit (in a regular textearea) files like css or whatever you define, can view images if you desine it to, and well... more is added everyday, now I'm working on it's integrated help, but I have some bugs to fix too
I'll post it one day, when I'll have the time to separate it from my php tool.
Time is simply my worse enemy (every post here is not doing something else)

But I Simply Love this forum :-)
Tzvook Wink

======
Tzvook
======

(This post was edited by Tzvook on Mar 22, 2003, 7:18 PM)

Luis
Veteran

Mar 22, 2003, 6:44 PM

Post #24 of 26 (9173 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tzvook] Form Editor and other nice add-ons. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Tzvook. You saved me another large explanation.

Thanks for the MOD too. It's excellent. I'm only missing the ability to create new folders. Have you some work on that? You know the human condition. We are never glad with what we have and want always more.

greets.

Don't give up!!

Tzvook
Novice

Mar 22, 2003, 7:07 PM

Post #25 of 26 (9167 views)
Shortcut

Hi luis

Since there was a better mod then mine I didn't continue working on it
and decided to go to a much full solution (the **php file explorer** I talked about ) which can do almost all what the real windows explorer does in windows from your chosen path... copy,rename,move,delete,chmod in unix,browse,create new html file from template,create new dir, upload any kind of file to selected dir..... but it's not finished yet - time .................................. time ....................................

No known bugs, but i has more features to include (choose between some new templates for pages and so.... more files to recognise ....... and that way my htmlArea can do everything from my chosen root dir!

By the way Luis, I'm from Israel and your hebrew keyboard is cool, I use it, though it makes my life hard - sometimes gives JS mistakes with other scripts on my apps

So hello from Israel to you all :-)

======
Tzvook
======

(This post was edited by Tzvook on Mar 22, 2003, 7:12 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options)