A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0 - Add-Ons:
Insert image and window.dialogArguments

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

Sara
Novice

Nov 24, 2004, 3:51 AM

Post #1 of 3 (3772 views)
Shortcut
Insert image and window.dialogArguments Can't Post

I found a lot of messages (without aswers) about the probelms whith insert image and "ERROR: 78 selection is null or not an object".

I found that the problem has to do with the window.dialogArguments that should be sended to the showmodaldialog.

When I run both the htmlarea and insert_image.html on the same server, there is no problem, but when I have the htmlarea on one and the insert_image.html on an other server the window.dialogArguments are lost! (=empty).

I'm not an JavaScript expert and I coud't find a solution. This is really important to me, and I'm willing to pay for a working solution!

Luis
Veteran

Nov 25, 2004, 2:04 PM

Post #2 of 3 (3686 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sara] Insert image and window.dialogArguments [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sara:

This is a security restriction which applies to both, the IFRAME and the ModalDialog. Here is what MS reference website says About Cross-Frame Scripting and Security.

... This article describes how and why these restrictions apply in the DHTML Object Model. All rules about script interaction apply equally to windows, dialog boxes, frameSets, frames, and iframes.

For most content, only interactions with content from the same domain are allowed. For example, a typical page on www.microsoft.com can freely script content on any other page on www.microsoft.com, but cannot script to pages that are located on a different Web domain. The DHTML Object Model uses the document.domain property to enforce this restriction: only pages with identical domain properties are allowed free interaction. The protocol of the URL must also match. For instance, an HTTP page cannot access HTTPS content. (...)

Conclusion: You cannot have your images in a server different to where your editor is.

I hope this helps.

Don't give up!!
http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

Sara
Novice

Nov 25, 2004, 11:16 PM

Post #3 of 3 (3670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Luis] Insert image and window.dialogArguments [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!

Thanks, I came to the same conclusion :-(

/Sara