htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0 - Add-Ons:
Insert images that are sorted into folders (without upload)

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

naughtymutt
New User

Nov 16, 2004, 12:29 AM

Post #1 of 5 (4350 views)
Shortcut
Insert images that are sorted into folders (without upload) Can't Post

Has anyone written (in PHP) a Insert Image pop up that allows the users to browse through folders on a server, then select that file and insert it into htmlArea.

I dont want the users to be able to upload images to this, just browse, select and insert.

Tzvook
Novice

Nov 30, 2004, 4:30 AM

Post #2 of 5 (4201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [naughtymutt] Insert images that are sorted into folders (without upload) [In reply to] Can't Post

I advise a little search for that addon (a few are crawling around this forum :-) )

======
Tzvook
======

gschenk
New User

Dec 2, 2004, 2:09 PM

Post #3 of 5 (4110 views)
Shortcut
Re: [naughtymutt] Insert images that are sorted into folders (without upload) [In reply to] Can't Post

I don´t know if this is of any help to you, but -- I used to have the same problems with quite some WYSIWYG editors which wouldn´t allow me to narrow their functions down to what *I* want, so I found out a different php based solution:

1) I took one of those many "directory/file crawler" scripts...
2) took many functions out, so that it will only display pics and nothing else
3) put them in just those directories which I´ll allow my users to fetch pictures from (just make sure to get a "crawling" script that will let you browse subdirectories...)
4) and finally: in my admin pages (those with HtmlArea) I make hardcoded links to those php files -- kind of "Media Gallery". Just give those links a "target=_blank" attribute, so these pic-grabbing pages will open in a new window

Whenever I need one of the displayed pics (now in original size, as I hate thumbnails :-), I just make a right-click & Copy on it, do a "paste" it in HtmlArea, and there it is.

One major advantage over any editor: even if you can define the base picture directory independantly for each textarea-replacement with some of them (so far I think that only Interakt´s KTML can do this, regretfully not HtmlArea), they´d always begin crawling at that base-directory , what can be tedious if you´d like to stay in sub-sub-directory X for fetching some more pics-- my external solution allows me to do that, and generally more control over the actions my users are allowed to perform or not.

Gunter

Luis
Veteran

Dec 3, 2004, 12:58 AM

Post #4 of 5 (4094 views)
Shortcut

You can download my editor from the address below.

Involved files are:
config.inc.php
browseimage.php
dirwalk.php
popups/insert_image.html

In editor.js, you will need to modify the function:
else if (cmdID.toLowerCase() == 'insertimage')

Currently it allows uploads. If you don't want to allow uploads simply comment out the upload button in insert_image.html.

Use config.inc.php to set up the start directory to browse for images.

Greetings

Don't give up!!
http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

naughtymutt
New User

Dec 3, 2004, 1:10 AM

Post #5 of 5 (4086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Luis] Insert images that are sorted into folders (without upload) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply.

Your version of HTML area looks like complete overkill for what I wanted to do. So I have been porting http://www.savio.no asp version into PHP (easy job). and it works well.

Search for (options)