A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0 - Add-Ons:
MOD: Browse Image Dialog V2.0 (.ASP)

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Randy_23
User

Jan 14, 2003, 4:56 AM

Post #1 of 80 (16353 views)
Shortcut
MOD: Browse Image Dialog V2.0 (.ASP) Can't Post

NOTE: The updated version (V2.0 or something) of Browse Image Dialog in .ASP can be found a bit down this message ... The attachment wysiwyg11.zip is the V1.0 and wysiwyg14.zip is the 2.0

V1.0...

Finally here Cool!

Notes;

- Demo available here; http://www.engvall.nu/WYSIWYG11/example.html(uploading has been disabled)

- Download and unzip the files and run example.html trough your PWS or IIS and use the Insert image button. Cool eh?

- Directory called "Uploaded" will contain uploaded pictures. To change location edit the PureASPUpload.asp file. You can also restrict valid filetype for uploading here. Note that PureASPUpload.asp is not an BSD license release. I am looking on another script which contains filesizelimits and overwrite confirmation settings.

- You might finds some strange comments, obsolete code or whatever but thats ofcourse just because it's under developement.

- Visible filetypes for browsing can be changed in the browseimage.asp see, arrValidFileTypes = Array("jpg","gif")

- also see valid filetypes in arrValidFileTypes = Array("html","htm","doc","pdf","xls","ppt","txt","jpg","gif") in the dirwalk.asp

- Change Const strRootFolder = "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\" of the dirwalk.asp to match your setup (e.g the imagefolder or rootfolder)

- Change const strCurrentFolder = "wysiwyg11\" and strCurrentFolderSec = "wysiwyg11\" to match your configuration.

- Notice that theres some swedish especially in the Upload dialog. The application will be used on swedish users, so thats the reason. The reason why the upload dialog does not close after uploading an image, is the fact that it enables you to upload many files without clicking on upload every time (though the text in the dialog states theres a 30KB limit on filesize, this limit is not implemented in the upload routine).

Improvements could be; CSS in the IFRAME (I havent had the time to fix that yet), Filesorting, A new refresh routine which doesnt reload the ASP-script (E.g imagine you dont know which file you are looking for. You select one in the end of a long directory. Now if you want to select next image you have to scroll down again and remeber where you where). Another thing which I havent had time to look into, is to create userfolders based on their session id. Thus creating one folder per user. The upload should then be performed into the session id folder.

For improvments or comments send e-mail to beatle1971@yahoo.se or into the forum....

Best regards // Pat!

V2.0...

Hi all!,
Ok, finally here. For those who need a little bit more functionality of my previous version here you go. I haven’t got any time to write any special documentation. Read the previous versions documentation + the notes found in this thread (e.g first post) + forum.

This version includes;

- Subdirectories sorting first
- Go back to main directory special icon Wink
- Added separeate columns for filename and filesize
- Upload sizelimit/file,
- Upload extension exclusion
- Upload progress indicator bar,
- Upload error/success message indication
- Some other changes in both browseimage and upload routines…

If you extract the ZIP directly under inetpub/wwwroot and take it from there, you should not have too many difficulties to manage it to work (start of by testing the app in the wysiwyg14 folder, example.html). Notice, that there might be some leftovers of code, since the code is extracted from a larger solution. Since it uses folders created per user login name, some stuff might look strange. Hehe! No support included by the way Angelic

There are a few variables that you might or might not need to change to fit your implementation. The variables and their files are (I might have forgotten some, since I am in a hurry, always!);

Browseimage.asp
Const MaxSize
Const strRootFolder
Const strNewFolder
strCurrentFolder
strCurrentFolderSec
arrValidFileTypes

insert_image.asp
directorynameSubs

upload_file.asp
strFolder
lngFileSize
strExcludes
strIncludes

upload_dialog.asp
directoryrefresh

There are no live demo available this time, since I do not want use up resources on my private site. However, you can always register for memebership at www.engvall.nu (swedish) and within a day/few days you'll get access and can try it live (but it depends on how you fill in the registration form like e.g valid e-mail etc, but dont take for granted that you'll get accepted Pirate).

Best regards and have fun... // Pat!

(This post was edited by Randy_23 on Sep 2, 2003, 5:28 AM)
Attachments: WYSIWYG11.zip (72.9 KB)
  WYSIWYG14.zip (80.6 KB)

redspider
User

Jan 14, 2003, 4:58 AM

Post #2 of 80 (16320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Randy_23] MOD: New browse image dialog (works!) [In reply to] Can't Post

just seen your demo, looks great.

I go download your files and test it on my machine

Thanks
greetz

Redspider
Belgium
http://www.tielt.be

snooper
User

Jan 14, 2003, 7:04 AM

Post #3 of 80 (16308 views)
Shortcut

looks great!
Thanks

:)
sn

Randy_23
User

Jan 14, 2003, 1:09 PM

Post #4 of 80 (16281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snooper] MOD: New browse image dialog (works!) [In reply to] Can't Post

For the interested;

I forgot to mention that changes has only been made to the insert_image.html popup + the additional asp files ofcourse. No changes in the editor.js file Angelic. The new insert_imgage.html does not Crazy include full comments to what has been changed and so on. Use a FileDiff program to see the changes made.

Best regards // Pat!

Thanks for your critics... (only good so far Wink)

AtK
User

Jan 15, 2003, 3:26 AM

Post #5 of 80 (16248 views)
Shortcut

i´ll work on the php-version... :-)

greetz
AtK

Randy_23
User

Jan 15, 2003, 6:00 AM

Post #6 of 80 (16238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AtK] MOD: New browse image dialog (works!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Great!

// Pat!

Randy_23
User

Jan 15, 2003, 1:21 PM

Post #7 of 80 (16192 views)
Shortcut

Hello RedSpider,

I recieved your e-mail. But unfortunatly I couldnt reply since the e-mail bounced back. Might be something wrong with the servers at the moment.

Anyway thanks for your mail and I am glad that you solved your problem. The source or readme should contain a lot
more tips and documentation. But you know - more code,
less documentation ;-)

// Pat!

ubaldo
Novice

Jan 20, 2003, 9:18 AM

Post #8 of 80 (16134 views)
Shortcut

Great job on the insert image dialog!

I like your solution much better that another one that I've seen in the forums because it unifies in one dialog the concept of inserting an image from an arbitrary server (http://) and inserting an image from a controlled space or private picture cabinet (previously uploaded by the user)

I, however, think that the usability of this dialog can be slightly improved. I'll take a stab at it (even though it's pretty hard to do it without a white board)

Modified Insert Image Dialog:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Where do you want the image to come from?

1- From my Picture Cabinet

Picture Cabinet
[
Images to pick from (for most applications, no need to browse folders if they're aren't too many images)
Should have preview capability
It it's empty, it should probably say so, not just be blank because it might confuse users)
]

Add image to my Picture Cabinet =>
[input type=file ] [Browse button(to pick an img from the user's hard drive]
[Add to my Picture Cabinet button]

Note: While the image is uploading, it will be nice to have a small pop up with progress indication. Once it's done, it should appear selected in the Picture Cabinet

Note: the "logical" bounds of a Picture Cabinet are application specific. It should be suffice if it's parameterized by a directory.

2- From the internet

ImageUrl: [http:// ]
Note: The same edit field as in the default insert image dialog

The rest of the default insert image dialog follows ------

Alternate Text[...............................]
Alignment etc etc

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Does it make any sense?

ubaldo
www.loquo.com

Randy_23
User

Jan 20, 2003, 2:46 PM

Post #9 of 80 (16106 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ubaldo] MOD: New browse image dialog (works!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Ubaldo,

Thanks for your input.

I agree with most of the things you say. Some of it I do not understand, but I will come back to that. To explain a little bit of why and so on...

Step 1.

- The browse folder function was choosen because of its capabilities of browsing folders. It is possible to strip away some code of the browse function ASP-script and only display one directory chosen in the config. But on the other hand who says things stops with just browsing? I have been thinking of creating/deleting folders etc which the make it more senisible to have a browse function. Another possibility would to select one of the existing folders and based on that, beeing able to upload into the selected directory (I guess this is what you say partially in your comments). The later function is already figured out but I havent got any time for the moment, as I am working on other stuff.

- I have already added Progress indicator to my wish-list (maybe to-do listUnsure).

To get back to your comments could you please explain the following a little bit more... "the "logical" bounds of a Picture Cabinet are application specific. It should be suffice if it's parameterized by a directory."

Step 2.

I understand why you want it and actually partially its already there but in a hidden filed of the .html file.
I dont however see a big point of using it because of the following reasons.

1. Two fields (which you would end up with) could confuse the users.
2. I would use my own images stored on 24/7 up and running server (using the upload function). Linking to others might (after a while) cause the dreaded red X.
3. I would most probably not start to type some link from scratch. I would copy and paste it from the original source into the field provided (the existing one).
4. If I however want to type it, which I, as said probably dont gonna Wink. I can spend an extra 2 secs of typing http:// (as the dialog states).

As said the function is partially there already. Actually I had it working too, but I removed it sinced I believe it should cause more confusion than add functionality.

Best regards // Pat!

ubaldo
Novice

Jan 22, 2003, 5:03 AM

Post #10 of 80 (16056 views)
Shortcut

Hi Pat

Thanks you for you reply.

I think my proposed changes are more gear to unsophisticated users (e.g someone using the htmlArea widget in the context of posting to a forum, etc) and not in a more complex application, such as CMS.

Hence the idea of asking the user

“where does the image that you want to insert comes from?”

1- From my picture cabinet (with the option to upload images from hard drive to the picture cabinet)

2- From the internet

However, as you pointed out, sophisticated users, might find the “two” edit fields confusing. It would be interesting to hear the opinions of information architects or usability experts.

Then I proposed to “flatten” the dialog by having the browse image button right “in the dialog”, not in a separate pop up window. Ideally, when the use uploads an image to the picture cabinet, a little pop up should appear saying that the image is being uploaded and then disappear once it makes it to the picture cabinet.

As of my unfortunate phrase "the logical bounds of the picture cabinet”, I meant to say something that’s already in place, that is, the ability to specify a directory (via a parameter) where you want the images to go in the server. It also occurs to me that if the interface (POST parameters, etc) are well documented and standardized, other people could supply server side scripts (PHP, C#, pearl, servlet, etc) to handle the upload for serveral platforms and perhaps, in the future, extra niceties such as image reduction, image rejection if size is greater than X, etc, etc.

Let me know if I’m still not making much sense.

I wonder whether your contribution is going to be officially included in the next rev of htmlArea widget.

Best regards

Ubaldo

www.loquo.com/english

Randy_23
User

Jan 23, 2003, 3:20 AM

Post #11 of 80 (16010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ubaldo] MOD: New browse image dialog (works!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Ubaldo,

Now I understand you perfectly and it makes sense from your point of view at least.

I work with the htmlArea for including it partially in a CMS. Therefore I look at it the way I do.

If you add an "ask user where the picture comes from", which easily could be done, and the user wants to add it from the internet. Most parts of the modified insertimage would be unneeded and could also confuse the user. Therefore the question should be asked directly when the user selects the insert image icon. Based on the choice then show the standard insertimage dialog or the modified one. I will not implement this as it does not serve my purpose for the moment.

I will add some sort of image beeing uploaded/progrees bar and an indication of that a picture has been uploaded.

Regarding creation of folders I have also some ideas about it. Right now I will start by creating a user specific folder based on their session (loginname), which will be connected to the upload routine. Thus forcing the specific user uploads to be placed in their directory. They will however be able to browse all other users directories as well if they choose to. Another variant would be to add a create folder option anywhere. I will work on that later.

I guess Interactivetools will not include this function in their app (next release) as the script is for ASP only. To make it as a standard someone have to make an CGI, PHP and maybe JSP version. For some one experinced in those languages that should not be too difficult. What do you say, the guys at Interactivetools? Blush

For me personally, the addition of this MOD to the next realease would be perfect since its the way (basically) as I want it to work.

Best regards // Pat!

(This post was edited by Randy_23 on Jan 23, 2003, 3:29 AM)

Tzvook
Novice

Jan 26, 2003, 4:40 AM

Post #12 of 80 (15854 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
i´ll work on the php-version... :-)

PPLS

I have a php "Browse-Image" version, just help me with that:

http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/forum.cgi?post=5971

And I'll post it fixed ...
Looks almost the same as the asp version, though I still needs to connect the "upload Image" staff.

Reg.
Tzvook

======
Tzvook
======

AtK
User

Jan 27, 2003, 4:30 AM

Post #13 of 80 (15800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tzvook] MOD: New browse image dialog (works!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually i work on this function, the Browse-Dialog works, now i should put it in the editor.. give me a few hours and i´ll post it in a new thread :-).

AtK

greetz
AtK

Tzvook
Novice

Jan 27, 2003, 5:11 AM

Post #14 of 80 (15793 views)
Shortcut

Hi ATK

Yep, I saw you're working on it, but I Thought It won't be a problem for me to modify this piece of code to my needs... (I failed in the JS section) ... 10x for helping here ........

I didn't knew if you're working on a browse-Image solution, or on something like the other php solutions ( I saw them in the forum add + del without a browse function)

Though probably the browse func. should need an upload+delete solution, that won't be so hard to add using one of the php solution out there in the wild (free code Crazy ) ...

By the way, I have something similar (Browse-Files in directory for linking to them), so after you'll post your fix/add/... I'll send it to you to see (I don't have much time to deal with it now, but it will probably be a piece of cack for you)...

Reg.
Tzvook

======
Tzvook
======

(This post was edited by Tzvook on Jan 28, 2003, 2:36 AM)

AtK
User

Jan 28, 2003, 8:52 AM

Post #15 of 80 (15708 views)
Shortcut

So now i have a working php-solution, but there is many code in there from my CMS, so if someone is a good php-coder, and needs the tool, he can mail me at "atk@chello.at" and i send him the editor.. but he should modify it.

ASAP i´ll do this and open a new thread.. 24h/day is to less :-).

AtK

greetz
AtK

simplyme3
Novice

Jan 28, 2003, 11:13 AM

Post #16 of 80 (15696 views)
Shortcut

Pat,

I was wondering how to use your add-on to insert other items than images. In your instructions, you mention:

"- also see valid filetypes in arrValidFileTypes = Array("html","htm","doc","pdf","xls","ppt","txt","jpg","gif") in the dirwalk.asp"

but when I try to make "doc","pdf","xls","ppt" valid, I still get an invalid file type error. Is it possible to insert these types of items in-line (not a link) with the content that my users are creating with HTMLArea? If so, how would I enable this functionality? Ultimately, what I'd like to accomplish is the same type of functionality as MS Word has for "Insert..."-->"Object..."-->"Create from file..." for inserting items into the webpages we create with HTMLArea.

Thanks,

John

Tzvook
Novice

Jan 28, 2003, 12:44 PM

Post #17 of 80 (15690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simplyme3] MOD: New browse image dialog (works!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Well John
If someone would look at the code I sent and will tell me how to insert the code back to the textarea field, I'll do that mod with linking other files too (link-files-in-directory mod) and so on .... so please ppls' help me here with the Java-Script...

Tzvook

======
Tzvook
======

jlaursen
New User

Jan 28, 2003, 2:36 PM

Post #18 of 80 (15677 views)
Shortcut

SmileThanks for at great image functionSmile

Johnny Laursen

Randy_23
User

Jan 29, 2003, 11:11 AM

Post #19 of 80 (15630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simplyme3] MOD: New browse image dialog (works!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello John,

It is possible to use other extensions like arrValidFileTypes = Array("html","htm","doc","pdf","xls","ppt","txt","jpg","gif") describes. This is however not possible in the "Browse image mod", where you only can use images as the rest of the JS-script (within insert_image.html) is made for inserting images. The browse routine can however be used in other apps/functions. If you are able to "take-care" of the passed link and format it in the way you wish, you can use it for other functions. It is not possible to use it to do "In-line"-objects as it always return the link to the object, not the object itself (i have never seen a WYSIWYG with e.g an in-line PDF or DOC etc. Its always links)

Hope something is getting clearer. My mistake not to remove e.g doc, pdf etc in the array. But as said it is possible to browse for other stuff, but not right now as it's made for images Smile.

Best regards // Pat!

u101440
Novice

Feb 7, 2003, 9:55 AM

Post #20 of 80 (15462 views)
Shortcut

I'm having a small problem with this mod. Just extracted the zip and added it to my site (Intranet site running on NT/IIS4) and I've altered the strRootFolder to match my pathway.

When I upload an image it uploads okay but when I try to preview or add an image then the image doesn't appear properly (I get the image not found icon).

I know what the problem is, my domain is MC05IMPA and my site sits in a directory called snitz34v3 so my URL (internal remember) is http://mc05impa/snitz34v3

So when I try to add an image I get the following properties:

http://mc05impa/wysiwyg11/uploaded/cloud.gif

The snitz34v3 part of the url is missing.

Could someone point me to which file I need to amend to get the url correct.

Thanx in advance.

S

Randy_23
User

Feb 7, 2003, 1:15 PM

Post #21 of 80 (15442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [u101440] MOD: New browse image dialog (works!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello S,

Change the browseimage.asp

Where it says;
strPath = "/" & Replace(CutRootFolder(strPath), "\", "/")

To this instead;
strPath = "/snitz34v3/" & Replace(CutRootFolderstrPath), "\", "/")

I believe it will work out better for you. Hopefully Crazy. I think its the solution. I havent had the same problems though. On the other hand I have another configuration Sly

Thanks to Redspider for pointing it out to me (in a private msg).

Best regards // Pat!

bchatterley
Novice

Feb 26, 2003, 1:31 PM

Post #22 of 80 (15109 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Randy_23] MOD: Browse Image Dialog [In reply to] Can't Post

I downloaded the image browser and I can't view files. I can see the folder but no files and when I click on a folder with images in it, nothing happens. Can you help?

Thanks,

Bud
email: bchatterley@yahoo.com

risto
Novice

Feb 27, 2003, 3:27 AM

Post #23 of 80 (15092 views)
Shortcut

love your image dilalog!! are you planning an update to 3.0 any time soon?Wink

keir
New User

Feb 27, 2003, 3:34 AM

Post #24 of 80 (15091 views)
Shortcut

Could someone let me know where the ZIP file containing the files for this add on are available?

Many thanks

Keir

risto
Novice

Feb 27, 2003, 4:11 AM

Post #25 of 80 (15087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [keir] MOD: Browse Image Dialog [In reply to] Can't Post

have a look right under the first post here! attachments!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options)