A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0 - Add-Ons:
Problems pasting text with " and ' from word

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

ej
New User

Oct 28, 2004, 11:35 AM

Post #1 of 4 (4113 views)
Shortcut
Problems pasting text with " and ' from word Can't Post

I'm using HtmlArea on a jsp. It works fine when you enter text into it directly. However if you paste the same text from word I get wierd characters getting sent back to the struts layer when the page submits.

I fixed a problem with the £ character by putting the following code in cleanHTML

unclean = unclean.replace(/\x163/gi,"£");

however, I've tried doing a similar thing for " and ' but I still get the unicode values /u0092, /u0093 and /u0094 sent back in the request. These are later interpreted as upside question marks.

Anyone have any ideas on how I could fix this?

Your help would be most appreciated.

EJ Frown

dubiousJones
Novice

Nov 8, 2004, 10:11 AM

Post #2 of 4 (4021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ej] Problems pasting text with " and ' from word [In reply to] Can't Post

word uses smat quotes,, they are ascii characters 145-149

I use something like :

for(i=145; i LT 149; i=i+1) {
content=Replace(content,chr(i), "&###i#;", "all");
}
building empires

(This post was edited by dubiousJones on Nov 8, 2004, 10:13 AM)

dubiousJones
Novice

Nov 8, 2004, 10:15 AM

Post #3 of 4 (4017 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dubiousJones] Problems pasting text with " and ' from word [In reply to] Can't Post

oh, extra pound signs are coldfusion vars.. i.e. #i#

and ## = #

so if i = 1,

&###i#; = 
building empires

Swetha
New User

Dec 15, 2004, 5:19 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dubiousJones] Problems pasting text with " and ' from word [In reply to] Can't Post

hey,

I am running into a similar problem, can u tell me where exactly I should include this code????????Should this be included in editor.jsp. Can you tell me where????Its very imp for me at this point of time...my project has gone live into production and this issue has to be fixed as early aas possible....please let me know..thanz

Search for (options)