A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0 - Add-Ons:
Templates Manager and Save to Local Disk Done!!. For Version 2

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

Luis
Veteran

May 18, 2003, 5:17 PM

Post #1 of 10 (9402 views)
Shortcut
Templates Manager and Save to Local Disk Done!!. For Version 2 Can't Post

Hi guys!!

This has been a very productive weekend and I have two new mods finished: Templates Manager and Save To Local Disk.

Templates Manager: Download the attached file and follow the instructions in the .txt file. The templates are for testing purposes only and are property of Prenaud (Thank you Pierre). Please make your own or ask his permission to use them. The mod works everything in client side and as it is pure HTML and javascript, it is intended for a set of just a few templates. I'm starting to work in a more complex CMS in cgi which will allow to manage hundreds of templates, code snippets and will include clipart and image gallery. A tough and time consuming task, so I don't promise to have it ready soon and probably I'll launch it as a commercial product, due to the time I'll need to invest in it.

Save To Local Disk: This mod. allows to save the contents of htmlArea in a HTML file to your local disk. however it is not 100% percent bullet proof and have some restrictions. The original work of this mod was made by Prenaud and I made some small modifications only.

Bads:
  1. You can only save the file in unicode (default) format. If you intend to save it in a different encoding, it will save the complete page. (why? - I don't know)
  2. As the file is being saved in unicode, maybe it will look corrupted in your desktop HTML Editor when you open it. To correct it, open the file in Notepad and save it as ANSI. After that, you will be able to open it in any other HTML Editor without any problem.
  3. You can only save when you are in normal size or in HTML mode. I've not been able to have it working in Fullscreen mode yet. Any help will be appreciated.

Goods:

It works with the execCommand('SaveAs') command identifier, therefore there is no need of ActiveX controls, special permissions or licenses as in other WYSIWYG commercial editors.

I'm not including the code for the save function. If somebody is interested, I'll send it upon request. I'd rather you to test it before to install it and decide if it is good enough for your purposes.

You can see both functions working at:

http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

Greetings and enjoy it.

Don't give up!!

(This post was edited by Luis on May 20, 2003, 9:59 PM)
Attachments: insert_templates.zip (11.7 KB)

chet
User

May 19, 2003, 4:32 PM

Post #2 of 10 (9317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Luis] Templates Manager and Save to Local Disk Done!!. For Version 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks great Smile

I noticed you save the template through cgi to a new page. Is this also possible with php ?

Great work !

Luis
Veteran

May 19, 2003, 4:36 PM

Post #3 of 10 (9317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chet] Templates Manager and Save to Local Disk Done!!. For Version 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks.

Sure it is possible in PHP, but I don't have any script to do it.

Search here in the forum. I remember to have seen one posted time ago or post a request for one from a PHP user.

Greetings.

Don't give up!!

prenaud
User

May 21, 2003, 10:34 AM

Post #4 of 10 (9198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Luis] Templates Manager and Save to Local Disk Done!!. For Version 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for mentioning my name. I hope everyone knows that you're doing all the hard work.

Pierre

ezHTMLarea - http://fslactivities.sd61.bc.ca/ezHTMLarea/

frank7l7
Novice

Jul 9, 2003, 3:07 PM

Post #5 of 10 (8746 views)
Shortcut

i was wondering you found a working php version for the insert template option? this would be the ultimate;)

thanks

fra7l7 Smile

Luis
Veteran

Jul 9, 2003, 3:27 PM

Post #6 of 10 (8742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [frank7l7] Templates Manager and Save to Local Disk Done!!. For Version 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Frank717:

Let me see if I understood your question:

I don't see any valid reason to insert a template into the editor dynamically, since all templates are different and share very very little in common.

To save the page to the server is another ball game, (which is the question above by chet). I don't have any script in PHP. I use cgi (perl) to post my pages.

If it is useful for you, I can share it.

Greetings.

Don't give up!!

frank7l7
Novice

Jul 9, 2003, 4:14 PM

Post #7 of 10 (8736 views)
Shortcut

hi,

i already have my solution i was a little hasty on the posting there:) i was not thinking of steps ahead... and of course now that i saw the link in the form i understand the cgi question.
im using your modification and i jsut can say exellent work ... thou i dont even understand 5% of the javasript code ....Crazy

i have a question for the ms word module -> when insert word window pops up the fileroot path is shown would it be possible to write this in a extra only readable input text field so that the user can always refer to the original file. i think this would be very nice - i know that my guys here love ms word like crazy:) the path of the extra input field would be also stored in the database. possible?

should i post this in a new thread?

thank you very much for the template idea anyway ...

fra7l7

Luis
Veteran

Jul 9, 2003, 8:49 PM

Post #8 of 10 (8724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [frank7l7] Templates Manager and Save to Local Disk Done!!. For Version 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Frank717:

The WordOpener is intended to open files from a local computer. I think what you pretend about storing the files in a database is possible but I don't have an idea of what it would require, but for sure it's a very different approach. Regarding the other question, about a text field, it's absolutelly possible. try it yourself, changing the <INPUT FILE> for an <INPUT TEXT>

Don't give up!!

frank7l7
Novice

Jul 10, 2003, 2:46 AM

Post #9 of 10 (8713 views)
Shortcut

thanks for the reply,.

yes the file input would do the job ... but how nice it would be if the path would be written automatic to the document input text field on your htmlarea footer. the full path appears in the ms word pop up maybe this can be stored in a variable and handed over to the input text field ,... just an idea? anyway the file input way somehow does it to.

thanks anyway -> great job .. really!

fozzybare
New User

May 28, 2004, 3:13 AM

Post #10 of 10 (7525 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Thanks for this mod .. using it with an implementation of version 2 for use by school teachers so it has to be simple !! Tongue

Just one comment .. on my server any page which uses SSI has to have a .shtml suffix. I just changed the insert_template.html to insert_template.shtml and the same for the reference in the custom button function.

Hope this helps someone.

Search for (options)