A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0 - Add-Ons:
mail merge

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

dingleberry
New User

Apr 3, 2003, 4:21 PM

Post #1 of 3 (5808 views)
Shortcut
mail merge Can't Post

Hi, I love this application. I'm creating a contact management system using php and mysql on my companies intranet. What I would like to do is to be able to use this text area for a letter/email template and have a pull down menu with a bunch of row headers for my mysql database. So that I could do this...

Dear {contact}

Thank you for your inquiry about {product}. We are sending some information to {address1}

{city}, {state} {zip}

and that menu would be dynamically populated by whatever row headers exist in the mysql table. Does anyone have any ideas on how to start this?

Thanks,

Dan
Just a fella trying to make his way.

kmiller
Novice

Apr 3, 2003, 6:43 PM

Post #2 of 3 (5801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dingleberry] mail merge [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,

This is a very easy thing to do first make your editor a php file.

connect to the database.

retrieve your info and populate the html form element.

have the form post to another php file or any other script that will do the mailing.

If you need any more help, thow some code in here or maybe the table structure.

Kevin P Miller

dingleberry
New User

Apr 4, 2003, 9:02 AM

Post #3 of 3 (5777 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kmiller] mail merge [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the immediate response, but unfortunately, I'm still unclear. I can easily popluate a list using some simple

echo "<select name=tags>"

mysql_db_connect=database ...etc.

$query = "select * from table limit 1";

while (list($tag1, $tag2, $tag3) = mysql_fetch_array($qeury))

{echo "<option value=\"tag1\>$tag2</option>";}

And this would populate the form list. Is it possible to take that drop down and place it in the htmlArea toolbar and have the actions when one of those elements is selected locate that {tag} ie

{contactname} into the text area where the curser is. It's a pretty tall order I think but just looking to see if someone has done it before. Another option would be to have that list on the same page as the htmlarea and have a submit button that would do the same thing (ie bring the form element into the html area but that opens up a whole new can of worms in terms of submitting a form that rewrites the html area text area everytime a new form element is added. I'm totally looking at this from a server side compiler angle. I'm pretty okay at php and perl and mysql, but very very very very ver ynewbie at javascript.

Thanks,

dan
Just a fella trying to make his way.

Search for (options)