A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
Automatic Code Rewriting???

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

jase@tomato
Novice

Dec 7, 2004, 3:23 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2194 views)
Shortcut
Automatic Code Rewriting??? Can't Post

Hi,
I've inherited a site that uses HTMLAREA and have found some strange things happening such as the following tag:

<script language="javascript"></script>

when it shouldn't be there, "value" tags dropping off the end of form field definitions (which breaks the site), and occasionally code for the included CSS file disappearing which breaks the design of the site.

Is there a way to turn off any code rewriting functionality on HTMLAREA as it is driving me mental!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jase.

jonnyl
Novice

Dec 8, 2004, 11:14 AM

Post #2 of 3 (2181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jase@tomato] Automatic Code Rewriting??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm. I'm not sure I understand. It sounds like a really crappy implementation of htmlArea but it doesn't sound like problems usually associated with htmlArea. Also, it sounds like you are using htmlArea to edit entire pages rather than just limited parts of them. Are you? In that case I suppose a lot of very strange things can happen. In my experience it is better to set up htmlArea to edit just content, not the overall framework of the site. If this isn't the case just ignore the above and read below:

htmlArea doesn't in itself have the capability to rewrite css files, sounds like a problem on the server side. What happens when you submit the htmlArea content? Database operations, file writings.. etc?

When does the <script language="javascript"></script> turn up?

Are you using htmlArea to edit forms?

jase@tomato
Novice

Dec 9, 2004, 8:50 PM

Post #3 of 3 (2155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jonnyl] Automatic Code Rewriting??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,
thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately this site is locked down so that some elements of the content containing a reference to a style sheet and a couple of forms are currently being managed via HTMLArea.

While not ideal, I would have thought that any HTML input via HTMLArea would remain as is.

And yes, there are a couple of little forms in there (sign up to newsletter etc) - does HTMLArea modify hidden form variables in some cases?

Cheers,
Jase.

Search for (options)