htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
Dumb Newbie Question ... User restriction?

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

Jim Hughes
New User

Feb 8, 2005, 9:49 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1683 views)
Shortcut
Dumb Newbie Question ... User restriction? Can't Post

I am very interested in using this product -- I have a website on which a couple of different sub-user groups would like to have Bulletin Board features that they could edit themselves.

So far I have not found any reference to restricting the use of such editable areas so that not all viewers of the website could mess around with the editable areas (post unsuitable material, etc).

I am assuming that such restrictions must exist: will somone please point out how it is achieved?

TIA,

Jim H
Doin' the Shift-Click Drag ....

Jim Hughes
New User

Feb 8, 2005, 1:55 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jim Hughes] Dumb Newbie Question ... User restriction? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote from previous posting:

> So far I have not found any reference to restricting the use of such editable areas so that not all > viewers of the website could mess around with [these] areas (post unsuitable material, etc).

Well, 7 or 8 Posters have now viewed this message, and no-one (so far) had any response.

I am beginning to think that this kind of functionality is just not present in htmlArea ...

I know I could set my web page up so that it required a login+password, and privileged users could log in as Authors whereas all other users would be set up as just plain Readers, but that is not an acceptable mechanism for this particular website.

So unless I am missing something obvious (right under my nose, probably) I am afraid that htmlArea will not meet my needs.

A pity -- it looked so promising ...

JimH
Doin' the Shift-Click Drag ....

Luis
Veteran

Feb 8, 2005, 2:35 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jim Hughes] Dumb Newbie Question ... User restriction? [In reply to] Can't Post

If password protection is not an acceptable mechanism to authenticate users or restrict access, which yes is?

Anyway, whatever you need to do, you will need to do it server-side. HTMLArea's only purpose by itself is to allow Rich-Content without having to type the HTML yourself. For anything else like posting your content, edit it or whatever, you need some kind of server-side scripting.

Greetings

Don't give up!!
http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

Search for (options)