A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
I NEED HELP, EMERGENCY!!

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

Qwest
New User

Dec 16, 2004, 1:46 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1384 views)
Shortcut
I NEED HELP, EMERGENCY!! Can't Post

Hi I am a webmaster for a small firm and though I'm great at PHP I am clueless with JS. I've convinved them to use HTMLarea on our website but if I can't fix this problem very soon they are going to force me to remove it.

I have installed HTMLAREA 2 and it works fine. Except I need certain areas in the user input to NOT HAVE HTML.

Meaning when I submit something like this.....

Code
 function handle_error($type, $string, $file, $line, $vars) 
{
// Decide which type of error it is, and handle appropriately
switch ($type)
{
// Error type
case FATAL:
// Select debug level
switch ($this->debug_level)
{
default:
case 0:
echo 'Error: '.$string.' in '.$file.' on line'. $line.'<br />';
print_r($var);
// Stop application
exit;
case 1:
echo 'There has been an error. Sorry for the inconvenience.';
// Stop application
exit;
}
case ERROR:
echo '<pre><b>ERROR</b> ['.$type.'] '.$string.'<br />'."</pre>n";
break;
case WARNING:
echo '<pre><b>WARNING</b> ['.$type.'] '.$string.'<br />'."</pre>n";
break;
}
}

I need it to submit in just plain text because I have a syntax highlighter that will highlight the code for me. So no &nbsp; and no HTML tags like <br> just the plain text. How can I do this?

Please help as soon as you can!

jonnyl
Novice

Dec 17, 2004, 7:38 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1341 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Qwest] I NEED HELP, EMERGENCY!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm... I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you want to strip the output of html? Do you want to dissallow html already in htmlArea? Do you want to set up areas in the textfield in which html is dissallowed?

You need to be a lot more specific if you're looking to get some help. What is the exact purpose of the error handling transcript you supply? Which parameter is the output from htmlArea...? All in all... your post is confusing.

The only thing I can say which may or may not have some bearing on this situation is: You can do almost anything with the output from htmlArea on the SERVER SIDE. But htmlArea is everything BUT a text editor and your company would be right not to use it as such.

If you still want to use it as such find the line
editor_setmode(objname, 'init'); And below it add:
editor_setmode(objname, 'textmode');

If you want to, you can remove the button 'htmlmode' from the button list, which leaves the user with no option but to stay in textmode.

I don't know if any of this helped... but if you would clarify your question maybe someone can help.

Search for (options)