A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
I have a better editor

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

Boris
Novice

Feb 24, 2004, 3:42 AM

Post #1 of 20 (9581 views)
Shortcut
I have a better editor Can't Post

htmlArea can't refine Word-tags.

1. Copy some text from Word and paste it into the htmlArea. You will receive <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 17.85pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.15pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 150%; TEXT-ALIGN: justify; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 17.85pt"><FONT face=Symbol><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 150%; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol; mso-ansi-language: RU"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3><SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></FONT></SPAN></SPAN></FONT><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US">test1</SPAN><SPAN style="mso-ansi-language: RU"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></FONT></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 17.85pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.15pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 150%; TEXT-ALIGN: justify; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 17.85pt"><FONT face=Symbol><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 150%; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol; mso-ansi-language: RU"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3><SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></FONT></SPAN></SPAN></FONT><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US">test2</SPAN><SPAN style="mso-ansi-language: RU"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></FONT></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</FONT></o:p></SPAN></P>
  2. But my WYSIWYG editor can refine some Word-tags (by user request). Paste this example into the my editor (http://psyonline.ru/word2html/?main_lang=eng) and click "Refine", you will receive: <UL>
    <LI>test1
    <LI>test2
    </UL>

Essential distinctions!!!

(This post was edited by Boris on Mar 19, 2004, 9:27 AM)

Luis
Veteran

Feb 24, 2004, 4:13 AM

Post #2 of 20 (9565 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Boris] I have a better editor [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Boris:

I don't know what's your intention with this post.

First. In the best of my understanding -and i'm talking in my behalf and not IT's-, this forum is intended for htmlArea users support and sharing, not to promote other editors.

Second.- Better is a very very relative word. I know around 200 browser based editors and yours is ranked-in my very personal opinion around 100th place (which is also a relative position).

Third.- Visit the address below and you will see why htmlArea is -undoubtly- the best browser-based editor in the world.
Big distinctions! What a poor concept of better you have!

Don't give up!!
http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

(This post was edited by Luis on Feb 24, 2004, 4:28 AM)

Boris
Novice

Feb 24, 2004, 5:08 AM

Post #3 of 20 (9547 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Luis] I have a better editor [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
htmlArea is -undoubtly- the best browser-based editor in the world.

Sly Sly Sly

htmlArea - is a good editor, but not the best! It can't do many things...

finlay
Novice

Feb 25, 2004, 11:09 PM

Post #4 of 20 (9331 views)
Shortcut

where can i download it

MatRay
Novice

Feb 26, 2004, 7:18 AM

Post #5 of 20 (9278 views)
Shortcut

Hi Luis,

I have to admit Luis, that link (of yours?) is pretty impressive. The download link no longer works though.... I was just browsing this site as I was having problems getting the popup fullscreen editor to accept focus onload for some reason that escapes me just now, but something that I notice your example has cracked.

Regards,

Mat.

webmonkey
Novice

Feb 27, 2004, 11:07 AM

Post #6 of 20 (9162 views)
Shortcut

Boris your editor is not working for me in Firefox...

And if it does not work in firefox, you can't use it from a Mac! And that is a big problem...

Boris
Novice

Mar 1, 2004, 9:04 AM

Post #7 of 20 (8965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [finlay] I have a better editor [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
where can i download it

1. visit my homepage (http://psyonline.ru/word2html/?language=eng)
  2. click "about" (top right ico)
  3. click "download" (72 Kb)

Requirements:

Boris
Novice

Mar 1, 2004, 9:07 AM

Post #8 of 20 (8965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [webmonkey] I have a better editor [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Boris your editor is not working for me in Firefox...

And if it does not work in firefox, you can't use it from a Mac! And that is a big problem...

Of course, you can't use it in Mac. It works with IE 5.5+ only.

searain
Novice

Mar 18, 2004, 12:28 AM

Post #9 of 20 (8383 views)
Shortcut

I don't if Boris' one is the better.

But if htmlArea could get rid off these word tags too, that will be great.

Any new developments and new info in this area?

I just had a problem with a client about this exact problem. Sometimes, people just don't listen. I told them don't put the word tags there, only cut and paste the standard html tags. But they don't listen and they would be crazy if it is not working.

Thanks!

Luis
Veteran

Mar 18, 2004, 1:15 AM

Post #10 of 20 (8377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [searain] I have a better editor [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi searain:

When I say HTMLArea is the best editor in the world, I'm not kidding or bluffing.

HTMLArea V2 cannot only clean Word garbage, even more- it does it without the need of any button or filter! It performs the cleanup onpaste.

You can also open a Word document from your local disk, getting it cleaned for the same token. It has also the ability to save from HTMLArea to word as .doc and many other unique features that any other editor in the world has.

You can download it from the address below.

Don't give up!!

searain
Novice

Mar 18, 2004, 1:23 AM

Post #11 of 20 (8374 views)
Shortcut

Luis:

What version is that one on the link you gave me? it is not the same one as the demo in this site.

Searain.

searain
Novice

Mar 18, 2004, 2:07 AM

Post #12 of 20 (8363 views)
Shortcut

Luis:

I tried the link you gave. Is it the htmlArea version 2 plus your additions? or it is a totally new product?

Could I still use the htmlArea version from the interactivetool here and just add your addition to handle the codes cleaning? if yes, how to do that?

If I can just add that function, that will be a great help.

Thanks!

Luis
Veteran

Mar 18, 2004, 2:38 AM

Post #13 of 20 (8359 views)
Shortcut

Hi searain:

It's V2 plus my additions. The easier way to add the word cleaner is attaching your editor here and I'll gladly do the changes for you. It's much faster than writing a huge explanation. I'm sleepy now but I can do it tomorrow.

greetings.

Don't give up!!

searain
Novice

Mar 18, 2004, 10:43 AM

Post #14 of 20 (8268 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi searain:

It's V2 plus my additions. The easier way to add the word cleaner is attaching your editor here

Luis, thank you. I copy the whole package htmlArea version 2 from interactivetools site.

Are you talking about that package, or only the codes of the javascript apply to the textarea which I change to the htmlarea field? I have many text area using this htmlarea method, will I be able to mirror copy your changes to other textarea fields all over my site?

Boris
Novice

Mar 19, 2004, 9:21 AM

Post #15 of 20 (8164 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I don't if Boris' one is the better.

But if htmlArea could get rid off these word tags too, that will be great.

Any new developments and new info in this area?

I just had a problem with a client about this exact problem. Sometimes, people just don't listen. I told them don't put the word tags there, only cut and paste the standard html tags. But they don't listen and they would be crazy if it is not working.

Thanks!

You can use htmlArea with my function "Refine"

Also, you can use my editor with my function "Refine"

Lanceman
New User

Apr 6, 2004, 4:58 PM

Post #16 of 20 (7463 views)
Shortcut

COnsidering im on Windows 2000 with IE 6.0 and I cant even see the demo page's editor on the interactivetools.com site... Id say this one is inherently better... seeing as though I could actually see it ..

Weird thing is.. on this forum I can see the bar and use it. weird

kimss
User

Apr 9, 2004, 7:52 AM

Post #17 of 20 (7271 views)
Shortcut

Great editor Boris. The refine function was really great, tested it with some complex word pages and the result was very nice. Nice job indeed.

Myself have been using Erik's licensed RichEdit component from webfx.eae.net for a long time. This editor I would think is the same method as yours, IEv5.5+ specific. It has after what I can see much better performance than htmlArea regarding speed. On the other hand, what made me switch to the htmlArea is mainly two things which the other editors doesnt supply :

* Table editing
* Context menu

There are several more features inside HTMLArea aswell, but most of theese can be done in the other editors aswell with some programming, thats why I only mention the two above which stands out of the crowd. Surely, the above can also be made - but its hard to argue the fact that its already there...

As a "sideeffect", the HTMLArea also works in other browsers, even MAC given the right sircumstances, which is a real nice feature.

I would think that if your editor, could get some sort of Table editing and a context menu, it would be much easier to infact sell the editor for professional usage. Not having the option do du this (tables and context) atleast made me look for another editor. I have been in contact with several people reagarding programming a table editor with context menues, but again its hard to convince one selves to do such when its already there - open in the public, with people helping out. Even the people Ive contacted for this said the same. (It all boils down to reinventing the wheel... )

All in all, thumbs up for a yet another editor, I just wanted to share some of my thoughts on the subject. Keep it up.

Kim Steinhaug
kim-at-steinhaug-dot-com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
www.steinhaug.com - www.easywebshop.no - www.webkitpro.com
Norwegian office : +47 88 00 92 45, Swedish office : +46 31 704 43 40

Boris
Novice

Apr 15, 2004, 7:05 AM

Post #18 of 20 (6516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kimss] I have a better editor [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you need "Table editing"? Here you are... Wink

Crirus
Novice

Apr 16, 2004, 12:53 AM

Post #19 of 20 (6366 views)
Shortcut

I'm very much interested in uploading images to a location retrived from a session variable. I cant recreate session that is used when I open image manager in upload images window. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Boris
Novice

Apr 22, 2004, 1:25 AM

Post #20 of 20 (6024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kimss] I have a better editor [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you need "Context menu"? Here you are... Wink

Search for (options)