htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
Luis: htmlArea and CodeCharge Studio - Does not display with dynamically named textarea fields

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

googswelle
New User

Jan 31, 2005, 11:34 PM

Post #1 of 1 (1865 views)
Shortcut
Luis: htmlArea and CodeCharge Studio - Does not display with dynamically named textarea fields Can't Post

Hi Luis:

I am designing a CMS using CodeCharge Studio, in which I would like to incorporate htmlArea in place of all textareas. I have already downloaded the zip file containing all the necessary files to display htmlArea and installed it successfully under the following folder structure:

/Inetpub/CMS/htmlArea

All the asp pages that reference this htmlArea are located within CMS whilst the htmArea files are found in the htmlArea folder as above. However, when CodeCharge Studio adds any control (including textarea) onto a form, the name attribute appears to be dynamic and has curly brackets around it. For example, suppose I have already added a textarea known as Description1 onto a form; its name appears as {Description1_Name}. So, my editor_generate construct appears as follows (just before the </body> tag):

<script language="JavaScript1.2" defer>
editor_generate('{Description1_Name}');
</script>

The entire implementation of the code is as follows:

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="CodeCharge Studio 2.3.2.24">
<meta name="CONTENT-LANGUAGE" content="en">
<style type="text/css">@import url("CSS/stylesheet.css");</style>
<script language="Javascript1.2">
<!-- // load htmlarea
_editor_url = "./htmlarea/"; // URL to htmlarea files
var win_ie_ver = parseFloat(navigator.appVersion.split("MSIE")[1]);

if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Mac') >= 0) { win_ie_ver = 0; }
if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Windows CE') >= 0) { win_ie_ver = 0; }
if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Opera') >= 0) { win_ie_ver = 0; }
if (win_ie_ver >= 5.5) {
document.write('<scr' + 'ipt src="' +_editor_url+ 'editor.js"');
document.write(' language="Javascript1.2"></scr' + 'ipt>');
} else { document.write('<scr'+'ipt>function editor_generate() { return false; }</scr'+'ipt>'); }
// -->
</script>
</head>
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" charset="iso-8859-1" src="Javascripts/liveclock.js"></script>
<body onLoad="show_clock()">
<div class="data-entry">
<!-- BEGIN Record UserTypes -->
<form method="post" action="{Action}" name="{HTMLFormName}">
<table class="form-table" width="90%">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td class="field-info" valign="top" width="150"><b>Description<b><br>
<small>A short description of this User Type.</small></td>
<td class="field" valign="center" width="*"><textarea class="textarea" name="{Description1_Name}" rows="5" cols="51">{Description1}</textarea></td></tr>
<tr>
<td class="form-buttons" colspan="2">
<!-- BEGIN Button cmdInsert --><input class="button" name="{Button_Name}" type="submit" value="Add" title="Execute add operation."><!-- END Button cmdInsert -->&nbsp;
<!-- BEGIN Button cmdUpdate --><input class="button" name="{Button_Name}" type="submit" value="Update" title="Execute update operation."><!-- END Button cmdUpdate -->&nbsp;
<!-- BEGIN Button cmdDelete --><input class="button" name="{Button_Name}" type="submit" value="Delete" title="Execute delete operation."><!-- END Button cmdDelete -->&nbsp;
<!-- BEGIN Button cmdCancel --><input class="button" name="{Button_Name}" type="reset" value="Cancel" title="Return to the list."><!-- END Button cmdCancel --></td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</form>
<!-- END Record UserTypes -->
</div>
<script language="JavaScript1.2" defer>
editor_generate('{Description1_Name}');
</script>
</body>
</html>

Am I right in using editor_generate('{Description1_Name}') or should I use editor_generate('Description1')? There is an example in the forum where you suggested change of square brackets to the normal brackets in editor.js. Can I also try this also? Looking forward to your suggestions; I am very frustrated because I have spent the last three days trying to get this htmlArea to work and reading other forum posts which described a similar problem.

Thanks, Googs!

Search for (options)