A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
Plain Text Extract From HTMLArea

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

Abi
Novice

Sep 17, 2003, 4:03 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1799 views)
Shortcut
Plain Text Extract From HTMLArea Can't Post

Hi,

I'm new to the wonderful world of htmlArea - I downloaded and installed it just yesterday and am very impressed by its functionality.

However, I did wonder if it is possible to obtain the plain text version (no HTML tags) of the text entered into a htmlArea textbox.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Abi

prenaud
User

Sep 17, 2003, 9:17 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Abi] Plain Text Extract From HTMLArea [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have much time right now...

If you look at my editor, I have a function that grabs plain text. Look for the notepad icon (top right). It's based on a script from Luis. I believe it was for someone who wanted to email plain text.

Pierre

ezHTMLarea - http://fslactivities.sd61.bc.ca/ezHTMLarea/

Abi
Novice

Sep 17, 2003, 9:29 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1787 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prenaud] Plain Text Extract From HTMLArea [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay - thx alot Pierre. I will have a look and shout if I am still having problems.

Abi

Luis
Veteran

Sep 17, 2003, 11:06 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Abi] Plain Text Extract From HTMLArea [In reply to] Can't Post

There are several ways to accomplish it.

What exactly do you want with text-only?

I have several workarounds for several purposes.

Don't give up!!
http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

Abi
Novice

Sep 17, 2003, 11:10 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1777 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Luis] Plain Text Extract From HTMLArea [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Luis - Abi again,

I basically need to save both formatted and unformatted (plain text version) of text in the htmlArea to my SQL database.

The formatted version will be used to generate emails but the plain text version will be put into control files for processing by 3rd parties. I hope this is clear - I'm off home now (It's 17:10 here in London) so I guess any further clarification will have to be tomorrow.

Thanks again!!

Abi

Search for (options)