htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
Somebody is ahead us. Look at this site.

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

Luis
Veteran

Feb 5, 2003, 8:48 PM

Post #1 of 18 (7439 views)
Shortcut
Somebody is ahead us. Look at this site. Can't Post

I found a website with a fully functional WYSIWYG online editor. plus SSM integrated. It's Amazing. I think something like this the goal of everybody in this forum.

The URL is http://webedpro.com/demo/webedit.php

It can take long to load the editor but it is worth the wait.

Post your comments about it.

Greetings.

Don't give up!!
http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

esq
Novice

Feb 6, 2003, 1:36 AM

Post #2 of 18 (7419 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Luis] Somebody is ahead us. Look at this site. [In reply to] Can't Post

I searched for a lifetime for the working online free WYSIWYG -editor. And I can say that there is loads of different codes to choose from. But for the record; They arent free, nope, not even closeUnsure. I find this kind of "public" developing much better and evolving way to create wysiwyg editorWink.

Back to your question. I suppose that most of us are looking in a way solution that is similar to webEdit pro, but let me remind that some of us are looking for user friendly wysiwyg editor. With this I mean that people who doesn´t understand the basics of html or have never seen a HTML editor, would get to change the outlook of their web page without studying a lifetime how program/script works.

WebEdit pro has allmost the same possibilities as htmlArea, but a bit better. BUT with the people around htmlArea I think that the htmlArea has allmost reached the same level: Image upload, table configuration, letter count, colors for the table as well as for letters, css styles and so on. But if one would be seeking a ultimate solution for this online wysiwyg editor, we would be lookin some sort of Dreamweaver MX -solution. Almost like WebEdit but much better.

All I can say that Ben and others at Interactivetools and people developing htmlArea have done a great job Wink

-esq-

AtK
User

Feb 6, 2003, 2:28 AM

Post #3 of 18 (7410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [esq] Somebody is ahead us. Look at this site. [In reply to] Can't Post

hm, i´ve seen webedit on my "lookafteraneditor"-tour..

I´ve we finished to implement all possible table-functions, we should start to implement form-actions, then, i think, we have a perfect editor ;-).

greetz
AtK

astropic
Novice

Feb 6, 2003, 2:57 AM

Post #4 of 18 (7396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AtK] Somebody is ahead us. Look at this site. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi
I think that BEN, DAVE, Ivni009 and others are the best Wink

I prefer to go mildly, and surely with the team of interactivetools

and again thanks you for our team.

romain
Novice

Feb 6, 2003, 3:53 AM

Post #5 of 18 (7389 views)
Shortcut

very interesting but it takes a lot of time to load and it have closed my explorer ... BUG

htmlarea still very sympaticWink

dsearles
User

Feb 6, 2003, 7:28 AM

Post #6 of 18 (7359 views)
Shortcut

Personally, I believe HtmlArea's use of JavaScript alone (on the client-side at least) is the wisest decision. I've looked at almost all of the available WYSIWYG editors (including WebEdit Pro which is NOT free!), and most require some ActiveX elements.

The best feature of HtmlArea is that it is benign on unsupported browsers; the web page STILL WORKS just with limited functionality. All these other editors cause the page to FAIL because ActiveX either isn't available (Netscape) or is down-leveled (pre IE 5.5).

From someone who actually bought one of the commercial products (HTML EditBox by Labs4.com), I much prefer HtmlArea as it's easier to integrate into existing pages (as I've done very easily with VisualShaper's ezContents CMS) and it's very easy to "tweak" as required.

Luis
Veteran

Feb 6, 2003, 11:26 AM

Post #7 of 18 (7333 views)
Shortcut

I apologize for my previous posting. I realize that the title is sort of agressive and it's not well explained the purpose of the posting.

It has never been my intention to make a comparison between one editor or the other, but to find out which of the features already implemented there are likely of being integrated in htmlarea. Personally I would love the JustifyFull ability and perhaps sub context menus and a user friendly forms integration. Since I'm a person of challenges, I would love to make my own contributions on that, but my skills in JS and MSHTML are almost null.

I'm working on an images uploader and manager in perl, which I will post as soon as finished.

I agree BEN, DAVE, Ivni009 and all of you are making a great work and I love htmlarea. I also appreciate that all the work developed here is in benefit of everybody. I had never seen before somebody asking: What do you want? to develop it and give it you for free.

If my intention was to make comparisons, I would go to buy some of those other programs.

Once again, and apology for all of you, and yes,
Htmlarea is the best!!

Don't give up!!

Offlander
Novice

Feb 6, 2003, 3:07 PM

Post #8 of 18 (7308 views)
Shortcut

Great reply, Luis!! SmileSmileSmile

Just another example of what makes the Interactive Tools one of the best forums I've ever seen!

-shane

lvni900
User

Feb 6, 2003, 3:31 PM

Post #9 of 18 (7297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Offlander] Somebody is ahead us. Look at this site. [In reply to] Can't Post

A little patience Luis, I'm working on property pallettes for tables, rows and cells, and the contexmenu's.

Overhere in Belgium we say that 'Rome wasn't build in 1 day', but isn't it one of the greatest cities in the world?

timepoint5
New User

Feb 10, 2003, 10:57 AM

Post #10 of 18 (7167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lvni900] Somebody is ahead us. Look at this site. [In reply to] Can't Post

With all the addons i think there isnt that big diffrence anymore! I poked a few add ons (including lvni900 very coold add on) to one big htmlarea... Impressive!
Webeditpro looks to me just like a normal html editor. Well i can do that offline too, so were is the big deal?

Benjamin
Staff

Feb 11, 2003, 6:00 PM

Post #11 of 18 (7069 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timepoint5] Somebody is ahead us. Look at this site. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys,

Great thread, I've really enjoyed reading your posts - it's certainly nice to see all the support! Let me offer a few of my own comments:

At risk of sounding treacherous, I like the webedit program very much! It has some really great functionality and looks extremely simple and intuitive to use. But its aim is very different. htmlArea was intended to be a lightweight, client-side alternative to plain textareas - providing WYSIWYG functionality at very little expense (in terms of speed, size, server resources).

webedit is server side. This has its benefits and drawbacks. Benefits: browser friendliness - it can (or should) be able to run on all browsers. Drawbacks: you need PHP and you can't modify the code. That one's a biggie. htmlArea is open-source. I can't even begin to explain how great this is. Rip the code apart! Tear it to shreds, rebuild it from the bottom up! Go for it! We can't wait to see what you do with it!

But I could go on and on about the good and the bad, but what it comes down to is they're just plain different - they're designed for different things. I'm personally very impressed by the webedit guys, and would like to spend more time working with their program.

And thanks again for all the support! You guys really make working on htmlArea worthwhile! (And just wait for the next release... we're working on some pretty cool things... ;-)
Ben
interactivetools.com

(This post was edited by Benjamin on Feb 11, 2003, 6:01 PM)

zippy
Novice

Feb 11, 2003, 11:54 PM

Post #12 of 18 (7036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Benjamin] Somebody is ahead us. Look at this site. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ben,
I am just wondering whether the next version is going to take a similar approach to the configuration of the editor as the existing one?

Reason I ask is because I am building a .net server control and would like to do it once and not have to change it to upgrade it Smile

Also what is the eta on this next version?

Thanks,
zip

Benjamin
Staff

Feb 12, 2003, 10:44 AM

Post #13 of 18 (7000 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zippy] Somebody is ahead us. Look at this site. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Zip,

The main difference seems to be that version 3 will be object-oriented - the config settings will remain the same - you'll still be able to set your configuration in the same manner.

I'm not sure about the eta for the next version... but I seem to remember a post by Dave thinking it could be 2 or 3 weeks.
Ben
interactivetools.com

Phil Revill
Novice

Feb 13, 2003, 3:42 AM

Post #14 of 18 (6929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Benjamin] Somebody is ahead us. Look at this site. [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I STRONGLY agree with Ben!
(can you strongly agree with someone?Wink).

Webedit looks very good, seems easy and intuitive, but no more or less as HTMLArea, but the main points of agreement are the client side and lightweight comments in Ben's post. I really cannot stress this enough.

- Do you guys rememeber how easy HTMLArea is to implement?
- Look at how fast it is to load vs. webedit
- Once it has loaded (and it really does take AGES), how many users/applications are actually going to take advantage of the additional features? Not many of mine would.

I'd go on and say that webedit appears to be built to allow users to create full pages for changing the entire look and feel of a website, undoubtedly you need some more advanced features to do this, whereas most HTMLArea applications seem to be focussed on adding html content to an existing framework (if that makes sense) and the advanced features of HTMLArea do just fine thanks very much.

If you can make HTMLArea do all the things that other products can do (and judging by some of redspiders/ivni/Ben and Dave et all are getting up to, it won't be long...) fantastic. But, please, please don't make it slow, difficult to implement just for the sake of additional features that I would venture to say not everyone wants. Perhaps an easy way of implementing a "bog standard" HTMLArea, then using an object oriented approach to add additional modules...

Great product, great forum, great developers.

Phil

mmcw
User

May 30, 2004, 12:58 PM

Post #15 of 18 (5674 views)
Shortcut

Did you finish the

In Reply To
I'm working on an images uploader and manager in perl, which I will post as
soon as finished.

If so can it be downloaded somewhere?

Luis
Veteran

Jun 1, 2004, 12:25 AM

Post #16 of 18 (5568 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mmcw] Somebody is ahead us. Look at this site. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi mmcw:

This is a very old post. I never finished it because there are some better image managers here in the forum in PHP.

greetings

Don't give up!!

mmcw
User

Jun 1, 2004, 12:29 AM

Post #17 of 18 (5566 views)
Shortcut

Sorry to hear because I did not found anyone using perl?!?!

TripleTuned
Novice

Jun 3, 2004, 6:06 AM

Post #18 of 18 (5379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mmcw] Somebody is ahead us. Look at this site. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm waiting for 5minutes now and the editor isn't up.

Hey, and they don't have a forum that rocks! Even if I pay, there's still no cool forum!

Greetings,
Triple Tuned Cool

ps: the editor is still not up....

Search for (options)