A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
Very Newbee Question - Saving HTML to text

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

LarryN
New User

Jan 3, 2005, 10:32 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1804 views)
Shortcut
Very Newbee Question - Saving HTML to text Can't Post

I apologize for how basic this question is.

Could someone please send me a short list of the steps I need to perform to use the editor_gethtml function to gather up the HTML and save it to a text (.html) file on my server? I would like to use a Perl CGI script on the server side. Just need some help to get me started in the right direction. I have successfully set up HTMLArea on my site and could use help in getting started on the next steps (I know that somehow I have to call the Perl Script from HTML - how do I do that? Any samples of a perl script that will do this would be awesome.) I am integrating this with my church website to allow the office folks to do some simple content management.

Any help - even pointing me to other resources - is greatly appreciated.

Larry Unsure

LarryN
New User

Jan 3, 2005, 8:16 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LarryN] Very Newbee Question - Saving HTML to text [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile OK - I figured out how to save the form. I just set up a cgi script to pull from my form.

Can someone tell me? Is there an easy way to pre-load the editor with this same html file from the server. I don't want to make my users type from scratch each time they make a change.

Please help if you can. Thanks!

LarryN
New User

Jan 6, 2005, 7:06 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1726 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LarryN] Very Newbee Question - Saving HTML to text [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful response and help to the new guy. I have implemented a form submit to a flat html file via a perl cgi script and have put in iframe tags to dynamically load the saved html to my web page. I have installed Luis' version of the editor and IT IS AWESOME!

Larry

Dogcatfish
New User

Jan 7, 2005, 4:48 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1704 views)
Shortcut

This really is a total newbee question:

I am looking at upgrading my current static site to PHP, using an admin panel for the page editing. Does htmlArea replace the standard text fields in a FORM field? This would seem to make sense, but the instructions are unclear as to what the htmlArea outputs to. Could I use htmlArea on my admin panel for formatting, and producing an html output through the FORM (POST/GET) function to modify fields in my database?

Search for (options)