A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
htmlArea v2.0 (beta1) released!

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Sep 13, 2002, 2:22 PM

Post #1 of 23 (15979 views)
Shortcut
htmlArea v2.0 (beta1) released! Can't Post

Hello,

htmlArea 2.0 (beta1) is ready to go. Please give this a try, see if you can find any problems, and let me know you feedback on the new features and functionality. Also, when you install, make sure to overwrite the images, they've all changed! Here's the changelog:

visual changes
- added mouseover/mouseoff events and style for toolbar ui buttons
- update toolbar to take up less space and be smaller
- display point sizes beside HTML font sizes (eg: 7 (36px)
- change "about this editor" icon to an "i"
- created a help popup (content still needs to be written).
- added version number to about page.

code changes
- added "defer" to script tag to prevent editor from being created untill page loads
- simplified header that needs to be added to pages that contain editor
- generated script include tag using _editor_url so users don't have to enter URL twice
- moved CSS for editor toolbar buttons into editor.js
- switched to using object to pass configuration arguments to editor_generate
- general code improvements, optimizations and re-organization
- added hooks for keypress events for future use

new features
- added pulldown for CSS style classnames
- added many many more config options including:
- ability to select which toolbar elements you want displayed
- ability to specify the order of toolbar elements
- ability to specify fonts, sizes, and CSS styles for pulldowns
- ability to set default font and style used in editor window
- debug flag that lets the see the source of the wysiwyg field at all times
- add more sample code and comments showing how to add custom buttons

bug fixes
- fixed error caused when height/width were manually specified (reported by jpeto, thanks!)
- "about this editor" window now works when in textedit mode

If you want to take a quick look before installing, you can see it in my user folder (view source to see the new config options at the bottom). http://www.interactivetools.com/staff/dave/htmlarea/

Lastly, we've added a button for "help" but haven't done a help page yet. If anyone would like to help write one, let me know! : ) I was just thinking of something simple. A single page document with icon pictures, keyboard shortcut keys and a description of each function.

Update Sep 14 - I removed the hard coded _editor_url link from example.html (see below). Also, when you install this, just look at example.html as the "example". The readme.txt file hasn't been updated yet.

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

(This post was edited by Dave on Sep 14, 2002, 5:09 PM)
Attachments: htmlArea_v2.00_beta1.zip (28.5 KB)

chidera
Novice

Sep 13, 2002, 3:09 PM

Post #2 of 23 (15967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave] htmlArea v2.0 (beta1) released! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, guys. I'll take a peek at it as soon as I can.

Keep up the good work! :-)

-------------
Travis Elkins
Chidera Software
http://www.chidera.com
interactivetools@GET_RID_OF_THISchidera.com

chidera
Novice

Sep 13, 2002, 3:15 PM

Post #3 of 23 (15966 views)
Shortcut

Dave,

I did notice that your example doesn't display the button graphics properly....At least not from this end.

-------------
Travis Elkins
Chidera Software

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Sep 13, 2002, 3:21 PM

Post #4 of 23 (15964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chidera] htmlArea v2.0 (beta1) released! [In reply to] Can't Post

>I did notice that your example doesn't display the button graphics properly....At least not from this end.

Looks like I had "_editor_url" still set to the URL on my machine. I fixed it. When you install it just be sure to blank out (or change) "_editor_url" in example.html

interactivetools.com

chidera
Novice

Sep 13, 2002, 4:32 PM

Post #5 of 23 (15957 views)
Shortcut

Guys,

One thing that I've noticed that's a little annoying is that when the mouse hovers over a toolbar button, the button's width becomes slightly smaller....So the entire row of buttons to the right of the one that the mouse is over shifts a few pixels to the left. Then, when the mouse moves away and the button goes back to normal, all of the buttons move slightly to the right again.

This is definitely not a showstopper, but it's something that I found annoying. I'm guessing that with the right width, this would even pull a button up from the next row sometimes, and then push it back down again when finished.

And now....Back to work! :-)

-------------
Travis Elkins
Chidera Software

chidera
Novice

Sep 13, 2002, 4:48 PM

Post #6 of 23 (15953 views)
Shortcut

Another item I'd like to point out...When I press the "About this editor" button, after the new window appears I get an error. It is on line 727 and says, "Error: Class doesn't support automation."

I'm mentioning this because it MAY be a problem with the tool. However, I've had many problems on this particular machine with Java and automation. It works perfectly on a nearly identical machine that I use for development.

I'm running XP and using IE 6.0.2600. I did notice, though, that the one that's giving me issues doesn't appear to have any updates (Update Version in About Internet Explorer), but the machine where it works says 3283.

Anyway, I thought I'd point it out.

Also, the docs don't reflect the new version numbers.

-------------
Travis Elkins
Chidera Software

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Sep 13, 2002, 5:00 PM

Post #7 of 23 (15951 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the reports, I'm not able to reproduce any of these locally yet, on either 5.5 or 6.0, but I going to wait to hear feedback from other users and then see what we can do to track down any issues.

Do you have anything else on the page or are you just looking at the example.html file? Does the example file (or the one in my user folder) produce the same two errors (buttons moving over a pixel and error on about window popup?)

Which reminds me, when everybody posts, be sure to include your OS, browser and browser version! Thanks!

interactivetools.com

chidera
Novice

Sep 13, 2002, 5:12 PM

Post #8 of 23 (15949 views)
Shortcut

Dave,

Shifting toolbar phenomenon: This appears to work only in my own sample code. I have looked at your sample on both of my machines and there is absolutely no shift....which is how I'd like it. I'll try to look and see what the differences are in usage and see if I can't figure it out from this end.

Java Error: This appears in my sample code and with yours. But it's only on that one machine that I mentioned. If I had to bet on this one, I'd put my money on my system being at fault. However, I wanted to mention it just in case I was wrong. Yes, if you get more people complaining, then it may not be just my system. However, if no one else complains, then it's probably nothing to worry about.

Anyway, I'll continue to poke and prod and use this. First I'll look at finding out why my toolbar buttons shift.

Also, if you'd like to help me out, then perhaps you can point me in the right direction for the following problem: I'd like to tamper with your button classes so that I can adjust the background color of the buttons, but I'm not too familiar with CSS, which appears to be in use here. Any help will be welcome. (I want to easily override the default color selection so that it's possible to blend the toolbar better into the user's background. I'd also like to know how to make it transparent. Perhaps that would be easier.)

Thanks again.

-------------
Travis Elkins
Chidera Software

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Sep 13, 2002, 5:20 PM

Post #9 of 23 (15946 views)
Shortcut

For the button classes, just add "background-color: red;" (without the quotes) to change the background color. There's also a property called border which has a color of "buttonface", that changes the border color. Lastly, search for "buttonface" in the rest editor.js and there's two places where the table background is defined if you remove those (including bgcolor) it should be transparent.

Here's a good CSS site, just look up the properties you need:
http://www.w3schools.com/css/

interactivetools.com

chidera
Novice

Sep 13, 2002, 5:31 PM

Post #10 of 23 (15944 views)
Shortcut

Dave,

The shifting toolbar problem is because I used the javascript from step 4 in the readme.txt file. It includes style definitions for the buttons that differ from that in the editor.js file.

I arrived at this conclusion by first looking at the test page you have and immediately recognized the difference. Mine (from readme.txt) had SOMETHING to do with how the buttons were supposed to look/behave, where yours didn't. So, I made mine to look like yours and it worked perfectly. I added back the CSS stuff and got the shift again.

My guess is that the readme.txt settings override the editor.js settings....? I'm not too familiar with CSS, like I said, but I think I'm at least in the right ballpark. :-)

Anyway.....Issue resolved! :-)

-------------
Travis Elkins
Chidera Software

chidera
Novice

Sep 13, 2002, 5:37 PM

Post #11 of 23 (15943 views)
Shortcut

One more thing....

Thanks for the CSS tips/info....

-------------
Travis Elkins
Chidera Software

petermcdonald
Novice

Sep 14, 2002, 6:37 PM

Post #12 of 23 (15899 views)
Shortcut

A small bug.... in the "Insert Image" dialogue box, it appears that the window isn't wide enough.

The words "Image URL:", "Alternate Text:", and "Alignment:" don't display. And the words "Border Thickness:" are partially cut off. Neither the "Ok" or "Cancel" buttons are displayed either.

Peter

rico
New User

Sep 18, 2002, 9:29 PM

Post #13 of 23 (15787 views)
Shortcut

Could you please add me to the beta tester list.
Thanx
ric@fullnet.com

MalaK_3araby
User

Sep 19, 2002, 9:13 AM

Post #14 of 23 (15767 views)
Shortcut

reporting:
all is okay here.

--------------
Sure you can spell it, but do you get it?

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Sep 19, 2002, 1:16 PM

Post #15 of 23 (15754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rico] htmlArea v2.0 (beta1) released! [In reply to] Can't Post

Rico, sure, just keep an eye on the forums, I'll post any betas here.

interactivetools.com

fbridge9
Novice

Sep 20, 2002, 9:20 AM

Post #16 of 23 (15727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [petermcdonald] htmlArea v2.0 (beta1) released! [In reply to] Can't Post

Look at the start of insert_image.html and change the corresponding line to this:

<HTML id=dlgImage STYLE="width: 432px; height: 194px; ">

Frank

richardx
New User

Sep 21, 2002, 10:38 AM

Post #17 of 23 (15677 views)
Shortcut

I realize you're already in beta, but I have two suggestions - one a coding issue and one a format issue.

Coding issue:
I have modified _editor_generate to take a forth parameter that allows me to shut off different button blocks (table with set of buttons). While all the features are nice, sometimes, I wanted to be able to shut off a block for a particular instance (like the strike-through block and the insert image block).

I gave each block a short name and passed the ones I don't want to show as a delimited string in the fourth parameter. It's pretty simple, and you could probably do something better, but it would be a nice feature.

Format Issue:
As the editor.js file grows, the size of the file becomes an issue. As you might imagine, in a form editing context, there are usually other JavaScript libraries that are typically being used.

In the distribution release, perhaps you could provide a 'compressed' js file with all the comments and most of the white space removed. That would save on bandwidth for both the site and the browser.

Thanks for considering this.

Richard

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Sep 21, 2002, 11:20 AM

Post #18 of 23 (15673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fbridge9] htmlArea v2.0 (beta1) released! [In reply to] Can't Post

>Look at the start of insert_image.html and change the corresponding line to this:

Thanks for that!

interactivetools.com

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Sep 21, 2002, 11:26 AM

Post #19 of 23 (15672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richardx] htmlArea v2.0 (beta1) released! [In reply to] Can't Post

Richard,

Thanks for your comments, are you using v2.00 that lets you control which buttons are displayed? I ask because it only takes 2 args by default. The beta of v2.0 is attached to this thread (at the top), the older version is downloaded on the website. If you haven't already, try version 2.0.

>In the distribution release, perhaps you could provide a 'compressed' js file ...

I agree, that's a great idea.

Thanks!

interactivetools.com

Denver Dave
User

Sep 24, 2002, 11:12 AM

Post #20 of 23 (15595 views)
Shortcut

Is the v2.0 (beta1) available for download? If so where do we do this? I ran the example

Thanks.

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Sep 24, 2002, 11:48 AM

Post #21 of 23 (15592 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Denver Dave] htmlArea v2.0 (beta1) released! [In reply to] Can't Post

At the top of this thread, it's attached to my message. : )

interactivetools.com

Denver Dave
User

Sep 24, 2002, 3:11 PM

Post #22 of 23 (15582 views)
Shortcut

Blush Ah - attachments to forum postings - great concept ! - Thanks.

fraser_itools
Staff

Oct 3, 2002, 3:46 PM

Post #23 of 23 (15446 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Denver Dave] htmlArea v2.0 (beta1) released! [In reply to] Can't Post

bump... just in case people were looking for this.
Fraser Cain - Product Manager

interactivetools.com, inc.
Tel: (604)689-3347 - Fax: (604)689-3342 - Toll Free: 1(800)752-0455
Software for your Website - http://www.interactivetools.com/

Search for (options)