A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
need help setting up htmlarea on pages

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

yesmale
Novice

Nov 24, 2004, 11:53 AM

Post #1 of 10 (2815 views)
Shortcut
need help setting up htmlarea on pages Can't Post

I installed htmlarea to my site and the example seems to be working allright but I am not sure how to load script to an html page to get it to work.

I made a test page and pasted the scrpt between <head and </head>

I am not sure if I am to type an address into "" on

_editor_url = ""; // URL to htmlarea files

as the files are at

www.mysite.com/htmlarea/

Thanks

Yesmale

maggie
Novice

Nov 29, 2004, 8:10 AM

Post #2 of 10 (2713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yesmale] need help setting up htmlarea on pages [In reply to] Can't Post

You need to type the right path between the " ".

Like:

_editor_url = "/htmlarea/";

seems to me you just have a map named 'htmlarea' uploaded in the root of your site, so the line above should be right, I guess

good luck!

(This post was edited by maggie on Nov 29, 2004, 8:14 AM)

yesmale
Novice

Nov 29, 2004, 4:12 PM

Post #3 of 10 (2702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [maggie] need help setting up htmlarea on pages [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Maggie

I did as you mentioned

On step 2 of instructions it says -

For each <textarea> that you want to change, add the following code to the page. <script language="JavaScript1.2" defer>
editor_generate('fieldname');
</script>

Be sure to change "fieldname" to be the name (not id) of the textarea you want to change.

I am not sure of what to do there??

Should I type <textarea> or name of area like <product descriptions>

and then type ('product descriptions') in JavaScript.2 in place of ('fieldname') ??

I placed the above in a page that looks like this -

<td style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 100%;">
<product descriptions>
<script language="JavaScript1.2" defer>
editor_generate('product descriptions');
</script>
<b><font color="#ff0000"><span style="font-size: 14px;"><font title="1 column or mix all 4 styles - choice of colors and content - align left right or center - # of rows within reason"> 1 column or mix all 4 styles - choice of colors and content - align left right or center - # of rows within reason</font></span></font></b>
<br><br>
</td>

Nothing shows up on page accept the font for that part of the page it refers to.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Yesmale

maggie
Novice

Nov 29, 2004, 4:42 PM

Post #4 of 10 (2700 views)
Shortcut

In my form my I had 2 textareas, one named 'titel' and one named 'tekst'. You should look for the name of your textarea.

Code
 <TD><textarea name="tekst" cols="50" rows="20"><%=dbField(rs, "tekst")%></textarea></TD> 

so I copied the script and put it between the <head></head> like this:

Code
 <script language="Javascript1.2"><!-- // load htmlarea 
_editor_url = "../htmlarea/"; // URL to htmlarea files
var win_ie_ver = parseFloat(navigator.appVersion.split("MSIE")[1]);
if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Mac') >= 0) { win_ie_ver = 0; }
if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Windows CE') >= 0) { win_ie_ver = 0; }
if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Opera') >= 0) { win_ie_ver = 0; }
if (win_ie_ver >= 5.5) {
document.write('<scr' + 'ipt src="' +_editor_url+ 'editor.js"');
document.write(' language="Javascript1.2"></scr' + 'ipt>');
} else { document.write('<scr'+'ipt>function editor_generate() { return false; }</scr'+'ipt>'); }
// --></script>
<script language="JavaScript1.2" defer>
editor_generate('titel');
</script><script language="JavaScript1.2" defer>
editor_generate('tekst');
</script>

You should have something like a form or textarea on your page. See my code above... <textarea></textarea>
In my case, the data in the textarea is coming from a database field.
Then the script will replace the normal area with the WYSIWYG-editors...

yesmale
Novice

Nov 29, 2004, 6:50 PM

Post #5 of 10 (2688 views)
Shortcut

Yessssssssssssss

The form showed up, but it is plain?? I thought the edit bar would appear or is that another part of the instalation??

on your example, I put one of each in a page and they begin

<%=dbField(rs, "titel")%>

I guess that has something to do with your data base??

What do I do next to edit pages and get the edit bar to show up??

Thanks Maggie I really appreciate your help

It's not fun being dumb :-)

Yesmale

yesmale
Novice

Nov 30, 2004, 10:30 AM

Post #6 of 10 (2655 views)
Shortcut

I was able to get the toolbar in the page buy copping the one at the bottom of the example page onto my page :-)

It is working fine now but I can not find any directions or see any icons or anything else that saves the edited page to my site.

or anywere else, can I get some help on that??

Thanks

Yesmale

maggie
Novice

Nov 30, 2004, 12:30 PM

Post #7 of 10 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Oeff... that's a whole other topic. Before I installed HTMLarea, I allready had an editing-page in ASP-coding. But it was a simpel one, with no use of HTML tags. HTMLarea is only there to make plain textarea's into WYSIWYG-editors. So making a kind of Content Managing site, where you can edit and update your articles, is something else. I don't know if you have the possibilty of PHP or ASP with your provider. Maybe you should browse trough the forum to see if someone can help you with that. I'm not that technical that I can write ASP or PHP myself.

My ASP pages were setup by someone else (I took a course webmastering, so I had some lessons ASP coding. My teacher made some basic ASP pages that I can use for my sites). But I cannot write ASP or such myself.

I'm afraid someone else should helpe you with this.Crazy

yesmale
Novice

Nov 30, 2004, 1:11 PM

Post #8 of 10 (2647 views)
Shortcut

Oef

haha never heard that one before. I was afraid it was another subject :-(. Why would someone design a tool to edit a page and not have a way of saving the work is beyond me.

I have PHP with my server, but never heard of ASP so will read up on that and do not know anything about using php.

I am learning html code and cgi now and was hopping I would not need anything else.

I appreciate your help and time So thanks

Anyone else Know anyway I can save the work from the editor or were I can go look for information

Thanks

Yesmale

maggie
Novice

Nov 30, 2004, 5:25 PM

Post #9 of 10 (2636 views)
Shortcut

Oef = Dutch Wink

I save my edits and stories in a database (Access). So that is what you need. If I where you, I'd learn PHP. That is supposed to be easier than ASP and there's more info to it as it is open source. You can find much in all kinds of forums.
It seems to me that on this forum people are not so keen on replying stuff. Everybody posts a question, everybody reads, but no-one aswers.... it's a pity.

Good luck on your webbuilding!

yesmale
Novice

Nov 30, 2004, 6:43 PM

Post #10 of 10 (2635 views)
Shortcut

Hahaa on the Oeff = Dutch

I thought maybe English as the only other person I know named Maggie is from England.

I really appreciate all the time you have taken to try to help me. I will take your advice and read up on PHP, I did explore some ASP today but looked like to much for my mind.

I may have found a solution to my problem with a different script. I just got it installed and it looks like it might work for my purpose. It installed easy enough (good instructions) and it tells you it is configured right on all the files which is really nice, and if wrong it tells you were the problem is, after I set the configuration up it sent me to a page to work on and have not had the chance to try it out yet, but it is working :-)). I was looking for something were the business clients could edit their pages on my site, so as to save me time so if it does that I will happy, and it SAVES THE FILES Hahaa. If anyone is interested in looking at it the address is

http://www.chicodigital.com/

You are right on the lot of readers lack of responders, I looked through all the posts and people that posted months ago never got a response, so not sure why people read and do not respond, unless they do not have any answers??

Whch would mean the scripts are not understood by a lot more people then me.

Thanks again Maggie

It meant a lot to me :-))

Yesmale

Search for (options)