A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 2: htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v2.0:
use this for editing an HTML page?

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

mjs
Novice

May 28, 2003, 3:37 PM

Post #1 of 21 (4939 views)
Shortcut
use this for editing an HTML page? Can't Post

K, I'm either really dense here or I'm trying to do something with htmlArea that is more than it is intended for. I have an HTML page based on a template, and I'd like a user to be able to edit this page without logging in to the site. Will htmlArea work for this (what would the form action be?), or is this used primarily for posting content onto a separate page?

ehammond
Novice

May 29, 2003, 6:57 AM

Post #2 of 21 (4898 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjs] use this for editing an HTML page? [In reply to] Can't Post

Could you be more specific about the scenario that you are working on? What are you trying to do? What do you mean by "without logging into the site"?

-- Eric H.

mjs
Novice

May 30, 2003, 9:44 AM

Post #3 of 21 (4871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ehammond] use this for editing an HTML page? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm currently using EditTag, a set of perl scripts, for giving some content editors the ability to edit their content via the browser. It works great; the page is changed on the server using an encrypted password embedded within the page. There is no data posting at all, so no form elements are needed. However, one of the limitations of EditTag is that the user either has to know HTML to change any text formatting, or else we restrict their ability to do so. When I first saw htmlArea, it appeared as though it would allow the same editing capabilities as EditTag, only with more formatting options. But without a form or any posting needed, can htmlArea do what I want it to do, which is allow editing of one page, rather than submitting data that would be added to a separate page?

I hope this is more clear; I would send you a URL but I'm working inside our firewall on a secure network.

ehammond
Novice

May 31, 2003, 1:06 AM

Post #4 of 21 (4843 views)
Shortcut

I think I understand. Well, in short htmlArea by itself will solve part of your problem, but not all.

htmlArea is essentially a "client side" or "browser based" form element that on the face of things to exposes the user to a microsoft word like wysiwyg interface, while in truth with every keystroke it is creating and holding the corresponding HTML.

By itself htmlArea does not do anything with that HTML, it requires another "server side" program to do that... just like your Perl scripts. You could also use Active Server Pages, PHP, JSP, Java Servlets, or ColdFusion (or others) in place of Perl, but the point is, you need something on the server side to capture and process the HTML input sent from a web page containing an htmlArea.

I tried out the EditTag Demo at:

http://www.thebilberry.com/greg/edittag/

... and it seems clear that EditTag could be modified to use htmlArea instead of those plain text boxes that EditTag normally exposes. With that you would achieve your goal of making editing more accessible to your content editors. You should take note that some people have had trouble with pages containing more than 10 htmlAreas, so you might want to consult the Forum for more advice if you need to exceed that number on an EditTag page.

Hope this helps.

-- Eric H.

DerekM
Novice

May 31, 2003, 6:59 AM

Post #5 of 21 (4832 views)
Shortcut

I use EditTag with HTMLArea daily, and it is a great combination.

I have a sample (not password-protected) at derekmacewen.com/htmlatest.html. Use the "edit page" link at the bottom left of the page to bring up the page in "edit" mode.

I have prepared an edittag Perl script with the necessary htmlarea mods. It was coded for version 1, but still works with version 2.x.
You can find the htmlarea version (drop-in replacement for the main EditTag Perl script) on the EditTag page, at the following link:
http://www.thebilberry.com/greg/edittag/dist/edittag_ww.pl

Feel free to email me at dmacewen@isn.net if you have any questions on the edittag/htmlarea script.

- Derek MacEwen

ehammond
Novice

May 31, 2003, 10:07 PM

Post #6 of 21 (4799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DerekM] use this for editing an HTML page? [In reply to] Can't Post

Congrats on your implementation. At I took a peek at the sample at "derekmacewen.com/htmlatest.html"...

It beats the pants off of plain EditTags!

-- Eric H.

DerekM
Novice

Jun 1, 2003, 8:09 AM

Post #7 of 21 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Thanks. I use EditTag for just about everything I do. Page Publisher from Interactivetools would appear to do much more than EditTag, for a reasonable price of $99, and also incorporates the HTMLArea editor "out of the box". In my case, I had so much work done with EditTag that making the (fairly minor) Perl code changes to incorporate HTMLArea was worth the trip.

I've also integrated HTMLArea with Newspro 3.8, a now-defunct news Article Manager (similar to Interactivetools' News Manager). The developer no longer supports the product (or its successor "Coranto"). I like it because it is free, has a number of add-ons to give it additional functionality, and I'm too busy to change to a new product. If anyone else is using Newspro 3.8 and wants to add the HTMLArea mods, they can contact me (dmacewen@isn.net).

- Derek MacEwen

Tzvook
Novice

Jun 1, 2003, 4:39 PM

Post #8 of 21 (4757 views)
Shortcut

Hi all, I just tryed to use edittag, but has some problems around the </TEXTAREA> tag - it don't get htmlraea so good out there - it has problems with the $name ...........

What was your solution to it ?

======
Tzvook
======

DerekM
Novice

Jun 1, 2003, 6:38 PM

Post #9 of 21 (4750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tzvook] use this for editing an HTML page? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure what your problem is.
I would recommend that you get EditTag working completely without the modifications, and then apply the modified version of edittag.pl.

As the one on Greg's website is a little outdated, I have attached the version I am running at the moment.

If this version doesn't work, please give me the url of your test files, and I will see if I can figure it out.

- Derek MacEwen

(This post was edited by DerekM on Jun 1, 2003, 6:40 PM)
Attachments: edittag.pl (18.4 KB)

Tzvook
Novice

Jun 2, 2003, 6:52 AM

Post #10 of 21 (4717 views)
Shortcut

10x man....... my edittag version was so........... old :-)
the whole code was different

======
Tzvook
======

mjs
Novice

Jun 2, 2003, 9:36 AM

Post #11 of 21 (4705 views)
Shortcut

Thank you, Eric. For now I have convinced the users to stick to one font style and color, which makes EditTag perfect as it is, but since you said it can work in conjunction with htmlArea, I'll work on that when I get time. I appreciate your help!

Mary Jo

Catherine
Novice

Jun 5, 2003, 12:22 AM

Post #12 of 21 (4632 views)
Shortcut

Is EditTag still available? I'd love to implement what y'all are talking about here, but I keep gettin a page cannot be displayed area when I click on the links to get EditTag.
Thanks!

mjs
Novice

Jun 5, 2003, 11:31 AM

Post #13 of 21 (4608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Catherine] use this for editing an HTML page? [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right -- I can't find EditTag on the Web any more, don't know what happened to author Billock. I've been using v1.1 successfully for a couple of years now so I haven't needed his support. I can help you out with it if you want, or you can check other online resources for other edit tools; I've seen lots of other scripts that work similarly, just haven't tried them.

Mary Jo

mjs
Novice

Jun 5, 2003, 11:36 AM

Post #14 of 21 (4605 views)
Shortcut

K, I'm now seeing all the posts here (duh) ... Derek, do you still have your test site working? (derekmacewen.com/htmlatest.html) I tried to edit the page to see how you have EditTag and htmlArea working together but got "page cannot be found" error.

MJ

Catherine
Novice

Jun 5, 2003, 1:32 PM

Post #15 of 21 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Any suggestions you have would be very much appreciated. And I played with Derek's test page last night and it worked beautifully.

DerekM
Novice

Jun 5, 2003, 2:49 PM

Post #16 of 21 (4590 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Catherine] use this for editing an HTML page? [In reply to] Can't Post

The 'bilberry.com' site seems to be inoperable at the moment. It's happened before. I'm sure it will be back.

You can also download it here:

http://www.webdesignwisdom.com/xyz/edittagfiles.zip

The guy at Webdesignwisdom also has info on using EditTag, HTMLArea, and another product to "Manage Your Website Content In Real Time Using Only Your Browser"

Goto:

http://www.active-ebuilder.com/111202.html

- Derek MacEwen

(This post was edited by DerekM on Jun 5, 2003, 2:56 PM)

DerekM
Novice

Jun 5, 2003, 2:52 PM

Post #17 of 21 (4589 views)
Shortcut

Site's still working

More direct link: http://www.isn.net/~derekm/htmlatest.html

- Derek

mjs
Novice

Jun 5, 2003, 2:56 PM

Post #18 of 21 (4585 views)
Shortcut

Thanks, Derek, I went to another machine outside our firewall and it worked fine!

MJ

Catherine
Novice

Jun 5, 2003, 7:49 PM

Post #19 of 21 (4573 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the links Derek!

esek
New User

Jun 9, 2003, 10:50 PM

Post #20 of 21 (4501 views)
Shortcut

Derek,

Does your scripts support Windows 2000 server or it is just for UNIX/LINUX server only.

I have problem when i run the scripts on Windows platform. When i try to save the changes i made, this error comes out :Parse script could not open file ../../wwwroot/edittag/test.html.

Please help.

Thanks.

DerekM
Novice

Jun 11, 2003, 5:21 AM

Post #21 of 21 (4439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [esek] use this for editing an HTML page? [In reply to] Can't Post

My mods to EditTag are to the edittag.pl script only. I have made no changes to the parsescript.pl script. You could obtain support from the script's author, Greg Billock. A supported version is $50.

As far as I know, the script should work on a Windows 2000 server without any problems. You would have to change the directory path to comply with Windows 2000 conventions.

Search for (options)