htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Feature Requests:
First Suggestion... File Upload Support...

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

DarrylB
User

Jan 20, 2005, 12:32 PM

Post #1 of 9 (11598 views)
Shortcut
First Suggestion... File Upload Support... Can't Post

Hello,

I would like to be the first person to give a feature request... That would be File Upload Support.

I know many are in need of a good addon which will allow file uploads from both Linux/Windows.

This would also need a way to browse files so you can insert them into the HTML Wysiwyg editor.

I believe PHP would be an adequate language to do this in to start, as file upload support is not complicated in PHP (by itself).

Thanks a lot.

FxF
Novice

Jan 21, 2005, 2:38 AM

Post #2 of 9 (11567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DarrylB] First Suggestion... File Upload Support... [In reply to] Can't Post

The main reason (I think) why this hasn't been implemented is that file uploads require some sort of server side script to process the upload, and since there are many many different languages, this would be hard to do.

However, a basic tool could be developed where one could select and preview his/her image/file, and then the post data would be sent to any personally specified script, for example a PHP or ASP script. They could create the basics.

DarrylB
User

Jan 21, 2005, 5:02 AM

Post #3 of 9 (11555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FxF] First Suggestion... File Upload Support... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, yeah anything is better then nothing.

I think you only need two scripts. ASP/ PHP

The ASP will definately be more complicated, as PHP just uses the copy command to do it. I was playing with one
"generalized" upload script last week, that was only about 12 lines of code... and most of it had nothing to do with the
file upload, and more to do with verification.

But if both were made, and in a config file someone could just choose ASP or PHP, that would be great
Then of course, directories, upload directory location(s), etc (if necessary).

All i know is im in need of something like this.... and i know others are as well.

barc
New User

Jan 21, 2005, 6:43 AM

Post #4 of 9 (11551 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DarrylB] First Suggestion... File Upload Support... [In reply to] Can't Post

There is already an excellent file upload plugin (that uses php as the server side language). I have been using it on my site for months without any problems. It allows you to upload files, view and sort a list of uploaded files on the server, create new folders and move through them, preview files, and select a file so that a link to it is inserted in the text area (by default with an indication of the file size and a little gif indicating the file type). It's available at http://alrashid.klokan.sk/insFile/

Cheers,
Chris

DarrylB
User

Jan 21, 2005, 1:17 PM

Post #5 of 9 (11534 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barc] First Suggestion... File Upload Support... [In reply to] Can't Post

That is an excellent tool, but is missing one important feature. It cannot import a graphic into a document. Just a link.

That is a huge problem, as this is the main purpose for having file upload support (in my case)

cornernote
New User

Jan 22, 2005, 6:41 AM

Post #6 of 9 (11520 views)
Shortcut

You can put am image in. Just change $MY_LINK_FORMAT in the config file.

However if you do this you cannot use it for images. You could copy the module to another name. I think I will do that now.

DarrylB
User

Jan 23, 2005, 2:11 PM

Post #7 of 9 (11390 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cornernote] First Suggestion... File Upload Support... [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried to change the MY_LINK_FORMAT but without the document root it wont work. because it just comes up with /imagename.ext

Also, what do you mean you cannot use it for images?
Im only needing this for images. Actually the uploading tool is great by itself. I wish i had a file browser as well, to compliment this.

Also, have you tired to find a way to dynamically give it the locations of files? i.e. dynamically create the DOCUMENT_ROOT?

Tnx.

barc
New User

Jan 24, 2005, 12:47 AM

Post #8 of 9 (11358 views)
Shortcut

I use a different plugin for images - Image Manager by Wei. It's available at http://www.zhuo.org/htmlarea/docs/index.html. It works well and replaces the basic image manager provided within HTMLarea. It allows you to upload images, view thumbnails, create folders etc, insert images (as opposed to just inserting a link to the file - as with file manager) and edit images, too.
Cheers,
Chris

DarrylB
User

Jan 24, 2005, 5:56 AM

Post #9 of 9 (11344 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barc] First Suggestion... File Upload Support... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, thats a very nice addon, except it does not work on windows 2003 Web Edition... from what i could tell. (i spent a lot of time debugging too).

Search for (options)