htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Discussion:
IE doesnt always fully load HTMLArea

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

JSTijn
Novice

Jan 20, 2004, 10:23 AM

Post #1 of 10 (5594 views)
Shortcut
IE doesnt always fully load HTMLArea Can't Post

Suddenly i got strange errors with HTMLArea. The most common problem was that IE didn't fully load htmlarea. The editor loaded the toolbars and iframe, but not the toolbarimages. IE didn't respond to any then. I had to close my browser and open a new one to reload it. It happend very frequently, when i reloaded 4/6 items IE crashed for certain.

I was wondering why it happened. I looked in the code but couldn't find a thing. Then i removed the onload event in the body and used <script>initEditor();</script> for loading the editor. This helps and i dont get the errors anymore.

I dont know why this happens but i will do some more research. I think its IE bugginess. I tested with the examples from Mishoo. The same problem. But when little plugins are used, less the editor hangs.

Anyone with more information about this? Luckily you can bypass it very easily with <script></script>

Sponge
Novice

Jan 21, 2004, 2:28 AM

Post #2 of 10 (5570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JSTijn] IE doesnt always fully load HTMLArea [In reply to] Can't Post

Hm, I noticed more that if the editor is sent through IIS, eveyr now and then I'd get a error that the HTMLArea was not created, and one of the plugin languages couldn't be created either.

The only way I found how to fix this was using Try() and catch, to simply reload HTMLArea, and it worked. Ih took me a while to figure this out though.

Sometimes HTMLArea doesn't load completely, but I think this is more an issue of memory, it happens after x times. :)

mykidisgollum
Novice

Jan 22, 2004, 4:12 PM

Post #3 of 10 (5534 views)
Shortcut

I have the same problem.

Can you be a little more clear on your resolution? I'm using CVS version 1.52 and don't find initEditor() in it.

Thanks,

David Fields

mykidisgollum
Novice

Jan 22, 2004, 4:12 PM

Post #4 of 10 (5533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sponge] IE doesnt always fully load HTMLArea [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to know how you used try, catch here, specifically what script did you put your try,catch in?

Thanks,

DAvid Fields

Sponge
Novice

Jan 23, 2004, 1:45 AM

Post #5 of 10 (5524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mykidisgollum] IE doesnt always fully load HTMLArea [In reply to] Can't Post

Like JSTijn posted in my Div problem topic:

Code
  function initDocument() {  
var editor = new HTMLArea("content");
try {editor.generate(); }
catch(e) {initDocument();}
}

JSTijn
Novice

Jan 23, 2004, 2:27 AM

Post #6 of 10 (5521 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mykidisgollum] IE doesnt always fully load HTMLArea [In reply to] Can't Post

You can try something like this.

Code
  function initDocument() { 
var editor = new HTMLArea("content");
try {editor.generate(); }
catch(e) {initDocument();}
}

stanoo
New User

Apr 14, 2004, 2:29 AM

Post #7 of 10 (5221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sponge] IE doesnt always fully load HTMLArea [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hm, I noticed more that if the editor is sent through IIS, eveyr now and then I'd get a error that the htmlArea was not created, and one of the plugin languages couldn't be created either.

The only way I found how to fix this was using Try() and catch, to simply reload HTMLArea, and it worked. Ih took me a while to figure this out though.

Sometimes htmlArea doesn't load completely, but I think this is more an issue of memory, it happens after x times. :)

Hi,

I tried to remove onLoad handler and also tried to add "try{} catch(e)" to the init function, but I still suffered in this problem. I use two textareas in one page. After 3 or 4 accesses, the buttons disappears. Frown

However, I found something very interesting. the browser will respond again after several minutes, and it seems like the browser can not find the botton icon to load. I use proxy to test the same page, and the problem was gone! Shocked

My web server is in my LAN, Is it possible that IE just can not process those image file requests at once because the connection is "too fast"? Also, I think it maybe a timing issue of javascript objects, but not a issue related to the memory usage problem.

Ideas, please.

thank you

Stanoo

JonoB
Novice

Apr 14, 2004, 4:43 AM

Post #8 of 10 (5213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stanoo] IE doesnt always fully load HTMLArea [In reply to] Can't Post

I had the same problem.

I found a simple fix was to remove:

onload="initDocument()"

and on the last line under </html> have:

<script>
initEditor()
</script>

This seems to fix the problem for me.

schaolin
New User

May 7, 2004, 5:01 AM

Post #9 of 10 (5074 views)
Shortcut

<head>

<object data="http://home/htmlarea/images/ed_about.gif" width="0" height="0"></object>
<object data="http://home/htmlarea/images/ed_align_center.gif" width="0" height="0"></object>
<object data="http://home/htmlarea/images/ed_align_justify.gif" width="0" height="0"></object>
<object data="http://home/htmlarea/images/ed_align_left.gif" width="0" height="0"></object>

</head>

I just added all htmlArea toolbar icons as objects into the <head>-section and so all icons now get preloaded.

And it works on IE5+ and Mozilla . Try it out.

No problems at all with non-displaying toolbar icons and hanging browsers !

I know it looks very simple, but the simplest solutions are often the best Wink

Comments welcome.

(This post was edited by schaolin on May 7, 2004, 5:12 AM)

TripleTuned
Novice

Jan 20, 2005, 12:19 PM

Post #10 of 10 (4352 views)
Shortcut
Re: [schaolin] IE doesnt always fully load HTMLArea [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello

We had the same problem here. The solution with preloading images seems to work for us, too!

Greetings,
Triple Tuned Cool

Search for (options)