htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Add-Ons:
File Manager / MediaHandler

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

sulleleven
Novice

Sep 1, 2004, 12:51 AM

Post #1 of 6 (6221 views)
Shortcut
File Manager / MediaHandler Can't Post

Hello,
I have been sporatically enhancing the File Manager plugin to allow Media Handling options to be used.... meaning... if users want to insert files with customized embeds, my enhanced version of the File Manager will allow for it. Primarily, the focus is on embedding multimedia for htmlArea v3 since a plugin did not exist yet to do this except for V2. The MediaHandler is now an optional trigger to embed the inserted file using media player plguins dependent on the type of file it is.

I have demo and am keeping notes over at the test site here (demo/demo)

This is a very early experimental phase and I know there is much fine tuning and further enhancements needed

If interested, let's discuss in this thread and/or on the test site (though i have an unorganized Drupal CMS installed at the moment)

Oh, btw the most annoying thing to me right now and I spent 2 hours researching to no avail... is that in Mozilla (Firefox etc) the embedded multimedia players do not display in the htmlArea container, though once submitted, the proper media player plugin will display to users in the published page. It is annoying though and I hope to figure out if it is even possible for rich text editors in Mozilla web browsers to allow the display of embed tags (the closing embed tag keeps getting cleaned out while in editor). Anyone know why or how to workaround?

Thanks!

sull

Related to this thread:
http://www.interactivetools.com/iforum/Open_Source_C3/htmlArea_v3.0_-_Add-Ons_F23/how_to_add_flash_just_like_image_P32839/

novocaine
Novice

Sep 1, 2004, 6:29 AM

Post #2 of 6 (6204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sulleleven] File Manager / MediaHandler [In reply to] Can't Post

First off great work so far sull!

I actually don't know why Mozilla refuses to show the media but could imagine that it is because of DesignMode switched to on. Did you try (just for testing) to set DesignMode to off after inserting media?
However I must say, that IMO it isn't necessary to have the media shown while editing, actually I find it rather annoying as everytime I insert media in IE I have to wait until it loads and then have to stop the media player (either it's .swf, .mov, mp3 or mpeg).
So a placeholder would be much better as you have a preview window in the MediaHandler anyway.

Keep up the good work.

novocaine

sulleleven
Novice

Sep 1, 2004, 4:03 PM

Post #3 of 6 (6189 views)
Shortcut
Re: [novocaine] File Manager / MediaHandler [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks!

I did consider looking into the design mode as possble cause. i am going to experiment with that soon, so thanks for assuring me that it's a good place to look.

Good point about the embedded media in edit mode. I also was thinking of adding a placeholder graphic if I couldnt find solution for mozilla. But now that you said this, maybe I will add an option for user no matter what browser. For me, I like to see media in the container during editing but I understand it can be annoying too.

I'll be in touch with updates when/if I have any.

sull

sulleleven
Novice

Sep 3, 2004, 12:09 AM

Post #4 of 6 (6144 views)
Shortcut

turning off design mode for testing only prevented any access to htmlarea container.

it looks like the closing </embed> tag gets stripped and all that is left is />

not sure how i should approach this issue yet.

novocaine
Novice

Sep 3, 2004, 4:42 AM

Post #5 of 6 (6127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sulleleven] File Manager / MediaHandler [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll have to add the embed tag to the following function in htmlarea.js:

HTMLArea.needsClosingTag = function(el) {

I just tested it myself and it stripped the </embed> tag just as you said. After adding embed to the array of the needsClosingTag function Mozilla won't strip the tag anymore - far from it, it even adds the tag, if you forgot to Wink

Another thing I've came accross: you'll have to call editor.focusEditor(); before inserting the media as it sometime happens with IE that the media gets inserted somewhere else on the page but not in the editor area.

Hope this helps.

sulleleven
Novice

Sep 3, 2004, 12:18 PM

Post #6 of 6 (6094 views)
Shortcut

thanks for the tip on forcing the closing embed tag.. it adds it in there, but I guess that wasnt the reason for the media to not be displayed in htmlarea container as it still doesnt show. Maybe it has something to do with mozilla's user prefs file ?

the onfocus issue, i had already added that focus code but for some reason within my Drupal CMS environment, it doesnt work always.

I am going to think into this stuff today. Thanks for your help!

sull

Search for (options)