htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Discussion:
Mishoo?

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

sleemanj
User

Dec 29, 2004, 7:37 AM

Post #1 of 16 (5190 views)
Shortcut
Mishoo? Can't Post

Does anybody know what the current status of htmlArea development is?

Going by a quick flick through the forums it seems that Mishoo has disappeared, no new posts from him in a couple of months, the CVS hasn't seen a lot of movement either last time I looked. Some (many?) of the bugfixes etc that I and others have made over the last year or two still aren't included in it either.

Just wondering if perhaps Mishoo has abandoned htmlArea and it might be time for somebody (or better, a group of us) to consider forking it now so that we can at least get the fixes etc into it.

Mishoo - you out there?

James Sleeman
PHP Programmer

elderban
User

Dec 30, 2004, 10:06 AM

Post #2 of 16 (5124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sleemanj] Mishoo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, his last post was on September 20. Did IT take the project over or something? Or is Mishoo still the project leader?

Bryan Gilchrist
PaintballChannel.Com
68Caliber.Com
Unreal Paintball and Gaming

DarrylB
User

Jan 4, 2005, 3:57 PM

Post #3 of 16 (5037 views)
Shortcut

Have you heard of anyone considering a fork?
I could really use some fixes for this product, seeing as its been nearly a year since beta RC1 was posted.....and it seems still, very buggy.

gdoumenc
Novice

Jan 5, 2005, 8:36 AM

Post #4 of 16 (5005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DarrylB] Mishoo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy new year for the list...

Right question.... What is going about he project???Unsure

Randyd
Novice

Jan 5, 2005, 7:45 PM

Post #5 of 16 (4956 views)
Shortcut

have you looked for him over at wordpress.org? Might be found there.

Chuck
Novice

Jan 7, 2005, 8:49 AM

Post #6 of 16 (4857 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Randyd] Mishoo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I'd be interested in using/contributing to a fork of this project as well. htmlArea is a great piece of code and I'd really hate to see it die or worse, become a closed-source only product...

Please keep us updated on the status of the project and the eventual/possible fork...

Hipikat
User

Jan 10, 2005, 2:49 AM

Post #7 of 16 (4791 views)
Shortcut

Well if a group does want to get together and drive htmlArea, I'd love to be a part of it (so long as I'm nowhere near the wheel).

I've been hacking htmlArea for over a year and a half now, and the main frustration has been the unresponsiveness of the project management forces above, to prodding.

blainegarrett
Novice

Jan 12, 2005, 1:35 AM

Post #8 of 16 (4731 views)
Shortcut

I'm in. I have already posted a couple hacks on the forums.
Blaine Garrett
Chief Web Applications Developer
JR Computer Associates INC
http://jrcorps.com
http://blainegarrett.com

nikotto
User

Jan 12, 2005, 2:36 AM

Post #9 of 16 (4728 views)
Shortcut

Shouldn't it be possible to open the CVS-Server for more developers?

Or should anybody open a new sourceforge-project like the "htmlArea Fork"
(for several developers) and continue developing from there?
...(thats the great thing about OpenSource :D)

sleemanj
User

Jan 12, 2005, 8:45 AM

Post #10 of 16 (4721 views)
Shortcut

I'll reply to you all..

Yeah, his last post was on September 20.

The last commit of htmlarea.js in the CVS trunk by mishoo was the 17th of September. That's almost 4 months ago. Nobody else has committed to cvs, I assume nobody else has permission to do so anyway. It could be that mishoo is working in a branch, but if he is he's being very quiet all the same.

Did IT take the project over or something?

IT always "owned" the project, they paid Mishoo for it's initial development I believe. I imagine they intended to use it in Article Manager, I'm not sure if they do yet, I don't think so. Perhaps IT decided that they don't wish to continue with it and so Mishoo doesn't ish to work on it any longer (without $, fair enough).

Have you heard of anyone considering a fork? /quote]

Only the posts in this thread.

.. the rest of the questions and comments re forking ..

As you'll be aware I have released my personal fork, which I have maintained for some time (as a CVS working copy with local changes).

I am pretty convinced that my fork is generally better than the existing CVS (rev 1.95), it is up to date with CVS, but quite divergant from it in some areas.

If the other developers here indicate they are in agreement here is what I propose.

1. I'll endeavour to contact Mishoo, and Interactive Tools to ask them if they still have interest in htmlArea.

2. If so, I'll clean up my fork a bit (reorganise some code, comment some stuff) and submit a patchset against the CVS to Mishoo/IT for consideration.

3. If not, then I will try to obtain the blessing of Mishoo & IT to take the lead on htmlArea (unless anybody else wants it, please :)) using my (cleaned up) fork as a patchset.

4. If IT/Mishoo doesn't want to develop it themself, or relinquish htmlArea lead to myself or some other developer then I will formerly fork htmlArea, give it a new name, new website & Subversion (SVN) repository (I prefer SVN over CVS). I'll consider patches submitted by other developers, and probably give SVN commit access on a case by case basis to developers who submit significant improvements to the htmlArea core.

My preference is to get Mishoo and IT back on board and just have my improvements incorporated into the official htmlArea. But like everybody else here I don't want to see htmlArea languish longer so I'll step forward and take it on if they are tired of the job.

It should be noted that while my fork is quite divergent in it's code, it is compatible with htmlArea 3 rev 1.95 (latest CVS version). But as with anything, don't just throw it on a production system without testing first!

So, everybody, let me know what you think; I don't want to do anything unless I have some indication of approval from this community.

FYI: Currently in my fork I'm working on a new link creator/editor plugin (to allow browsing for files, creating mailto: templates and popup windows), a new localization method (to make it cope with out-of-date l10ns gracefully, instead of simply not working), a new inside-editor dialog functionality (like the way my SuperClean plugin works, only abstracted) which means we can ditch nasty and slow popups eventually, and left, top and bottom panel availability for plugin developers.

James Sleeman
PHP Programmer

mmcw
User

Jan 12, 2005, 12:30 PM

Post #11 of 16 (4705 views)
Shortcut

I agree that a nice product like HTMLArea has to continued!!
If Mishoo does not have the time or interrest anymore it would be VERY nice if someone else is continuing the product.

So Sleeman if you want please try to continu the HTMLArea product!

(This post was edited by mmcw on Jan 13, 2005, 11:29 AM)

nikotto
User

Jan 13, 2005, 6:02 AM

Post #12 of 16 (4667 views)
Shortcut

i would be very happy if you would continue this great product!
(of course only if IT and/or Mishoo don't)

gdoumenc
Novice

Jan 14, 2005, 12:38 AM

Post #13 of 16 (4573 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nikotto] Mishoo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Great, I think you've taken the write road..

So Sleeman I will follow you, but I think that Mishoo should give its opinion quite quickly on that...

Theo
Project Manager / Moderator

Jan 18, 2005, 1:17 PM

Post #14 of 16 (4375 views)
Shortcut

Thanks to everyone who's been asking about the status of htmlArea. It's a bit fuzzy for sure - we just haven't had the resources to give htmlArea our attention. We've recently been talking about different ideas for moving forward with the the project.

We're interested in seeing a stable, cross-browser version of htmlArea as much as anyone. Right now, we're thinking about ways to open the project wider, so that more people can contribute, and finding some core developers to assist with managing and directing the project.

What form this is going to take is unknown right now, but I just wanted to let everyone know that we haven't fallen off the edge of the world, and that htmlArea is still in our hearts and minds.

Big thanks to James for sharing his work with the community - hopefully well-conceived forks like James' will help serve your needs in the interim.

Let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions!

Theo Wiersma
Project Manager

interactivetools.com, inc.
Tel: (604)689-3347 - Fax: (604)689-3342 - Toll Free: 1(800)752-0455
Software for your Website - http://www.interactivetools.com/

yermo
Novice

Jan 18, 2005, 5:35 PM

Post #15 of 16 (4363 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
But like everybody else here I don't want to see htmlArea languish longer so I'll step forward and take it on if they are tired of the job.

<snip>

So, everybody, let me know what you think; I don't want to do anything unless I have some indication of approval from this community.

From my perspective producing a plugin-compatible fork of HTMLarea managed under subversion and activitly maintained would be a very good thing. From Theo's post, it does not sound like IT has any kind of real plan yet and won't for a while, if ever.

I would say clean it up and fork it. If at some later date IT decides to start maintaining it, they can always merge your improvements back in.

nikotto
User

Jan 19, 2005, 5:18 AM

Post #16 of 16 (4325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Theo] Mishoo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Theo,

Actually it would nice to start this "opening the project wider" right now!

So do you have a time-shedule when this will happen?

If not (and nothing will happen for another half year) someone will create a fork!
...and if IT is still interested in htmlarea it would be better for all of us if there is only one version!

so do something bevore it is too late :D

Search for (options)