htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Discussion:
source code formatting lost by switching plain/wysiwyg

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

penizillin
New User

Jan 5, 2005, 6:18 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2311 views)
Shortcut
source code formatting lost by switching plain/wysiwyg Can't Post

dear friends,

is there a way to stop htmlarea destroying my html source code formatting after switching plaintext/wysiwyg? i know the way htmlarea works, but is there probably a js solution / workaround for this?

i can't use html tidy due to the fact of using shared hosting, therefore no way to use the plugin.

thanks a lot,

peni

Hipikat
User

Jan 10, 2005, 3:13 AM

Post #2 of 3 (2248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penizillin] source code formatting lost by switching plain/wysiwyg [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm fairly sure, having dealt with it for a while now, that there's no way in hell to get htmlArea to preserve your source formatting in Internet Explorer.

Mozilla (etc) does basically preserve it, as long as you don't use HTMLTidy, which you say you can't. If it fails in strange ways, *shrug*, but...

As far you, personally, not being able to use HTMLTidy due to hosting restrictions... Well, you didn't hear it from me... but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to edit your html-tidy.js file, and instead of pointing it to the local html-tidy-logic.php file, point it at the html-tidy-logic.php file of anyone who does have a working, hosted, tidy install =)

Unless they check the referrer, which is in no way default behaviour, there's no reason I can think of it shouldn't work. The only problem is you'll be using their tidy configuration file too.

mharrisonline
Novice

Jan 10, 2005, 11:01 PM

Post #3 of 3 (2209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hipikat] source code formatting lost by switching plain/wysiwyg [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a workaround for this in

http://www.htmlarea.com/forum/htmlArea_3_(beta)_C4/htmlArea_v3.0_-_Beta_Release_F14/html_output_is_one_%2Areally%2A_long_line%21_P17404/

Search for (options)