htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Add-Ons:
will pay for plugins!

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

gilad
New User

Jan 18, 2005, 9:55 AM

Post #1 of 4 (6021 views)
Shortcut
will pay for plugins! Can't Post

Hello plugin experts,
We're looking for a modification/addition/plugin to the htmlarea. I'm attaching the specs if anyone is interested. We have also opened bidding on rentacoder.com but will give preference to experienced plugin writer before others.
<br>
One of the main doubts we have is if an image in the WYSIWYG window can have actions like onDoubleClick tied to them.
<br>
For further questions please email:
gilad . buzi [at] concatel . com

Thanks,
/gilad
Attachments: TemplateWizardHTMLarea.zip (9.58 KB)

sleemanj
User

Jan 18, 2005, 10:43 AM

Post #2 of 4 (6018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gilad] will pay for plugins! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just skimming your document, your programmer will find it very difficult, maybe impossible to get HTMLArea to work properly with your custom tags.

The problem is that you can't insert any old tag into the DOM, only proper html tags. So if you can't do that them you hve to translate the custom tag into something that is valid html, you think that images (dreamweaver sheild type icons) are the best way, and I'd agree, except that you are nesting your custom tags in places that images (infact, most tags) can't go - between/around table rows and cells. The second you try and put an image in there, the editor will eat it.

To be honest, I think the best bet is maybe rendering those tags as comments rather than images (meaning they are invisible, and can be put anywhere). But I don't know how well the comments will survive the document being edited, not well I imagine, they are very likely to get moved, or removed.

Anyway, just some thoughts, I have my hands plenty full so its not for me ;) I'd love to know how you solve the problem in the end though, so keep us posted!

James Sleeman
PHP Programmer

gilad
New User

Jan 18, 2005, 1:40 PM

Post #3 of 4 (6006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sleemanj] will pay for plugins! [In reply to] Can't Post

James,
Thanks for your thoughts. I realize the task might be difficult. That's why we've divided it into phases. Anyways, do you really think it's impossible to disable the tag parsing feature in the editor? It seems like it's just a line of code to be commented (I'm probably being really ignorant here.)

Other than that, do you think it's possible to tie actions to the images in wysiwyg mode?

sleemanj
User

Jan 19, 2005, 1:54 AM

Post #4 of 4 (5993 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gilad] will pay for plugins! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Anyways, do you really think it's impossible to disable the tag parsing feature in the editor? It seems like it's just a line of code to be commented (I'm probably being really ignorant here.)

Yep, sorry it's not. The "editor" is mostly just the browser, we just give some html to the browser and tell it that the user is allowed to edit it. We say when the user wants to bold something, when they want to link something, insert a table etc, but the actual work is done by the browser.

Currently, neither browser really understands tags other than html, and as a result the results of using custom tags are unpredictable at best, and downright won't work at worst. Fixing that would really require editign the browser itself, wth Mozilla, sure that's possible, with IE, we'll you'd need a black catsuit, a crowbar, a flashlight and plenty of nights where you can clandestinly hack the IE code at Microsoft HQ.

I know (from trying just now) Mozilla will allow custom tags in the code (as long as they are well formed of course), but you can't rely on them to stay where you put them if Mozilla deems them to be in an invalid spot according to the HTML document type (I don't know if it takes the document type into consideration, if it does you could maybe make an XML DTD and use that with the editor, not sure).

EG I entered

<table><foo:bar><tr><td>Hello</td></tr></foo:bar></table>

Mozilla turned it into this

<table><foo:bar /><tbody><tr><td>Hello</td></tr></tbody></table>

I don't know about IE. Maybe it'd work, maybe not.

In Reply To
Other than that, do you think it's possible to tie actions to the images in wysiwyg mode?

Not sure.

James Sleeman
PHP Programmer

Search for (options)