htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Add-Ons:
Open htmlArea in a Dialog Window

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

njag
New User

Sep 9, 2004, 6:42 AM

Post #1 of 5 (5813 views)
Shortcut
Open htmlArea in a Dialog Window Can't Post

Hi,
I open a dialog window using javascript, in which htmlArea is embeded. But on load, it gives javascript runtime error as HtmlArea undefined

any suggestions on this please...

regards,
jag

nathanhoward
New User

Sep 9, 2004, 4:44 PM

Post #2 of 5 (5801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [njag] Open htmlArea in a Dialog Window [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have any suggestions but I am having the same problem and have been following the forums for an answer.

The error I get is 'HtmlArea not defined'. I do not even know what that error message means. This is with the 3.0-rc1. The editor flashes on for just a moment (less than a second) then I get the regular type in the text window and the HTMLArea not defined error. That is at home and I use IE 6.0.2 and Netscape 7.2

At work using IE 6.0.2 (different computer of course) I get the regular type in the text area and then after about 2 seconds the the editor comes up normal.

These results are using the examples as supplied in the download.

The only difference I can see is that at home I have a 24,6K connection and at work we have a T1.

Could the slower connection rate at home be causing something to time out before it can load?

Yes I am a newbie, and thanks to anyone who can shed light on this.

Nathan

weewillywinky
Novice

Sep 17, 2004, 11:45 PM

Post #3 of 5 (5732 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathanhoward] Open htmlArea in a Dialog Window [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a definite time factor involved, that seems to
depend on the browser used, and maybe other factors.

I have a pop-up window that uses the HTML body tag with an onload subtag:

Code
onload="initEditor(); setTimeout ('initLoad()', 1000);"

The initEditor function uses:

Code
setTimeout(function() { editor.generate(); }, 500);

right before the function exits to give things a 1/2 second time interval to be setup correctly before access.

The initLoad function is called after 1 second to give the editor time to initialize before being accessed. (this function uses editor.setHTML to set the HTML content value of the editor)

If these aren't your problems, then make sure you have the javascript _editor_url and _editor_lang variables set correctly at the top of your HTML document, like

Code
<script type="text/javascript"> 
_editor_url = "/htmlarea/";
_editor_lang = "en";
</script>

Other than those, I'm not sure what else it could be.
You would need to show some code for analysis.

----------
I am usually who I say I am, rarely where I believe I am,
and more often than not, not what you think I am.
But keep trying. One of these days the twain may meet.
And then I'm sure we will both be surprised. Until then,
please attempt to disregard my obvious "lack of a life".

nathanhoward
New User

Sep 20, 2004, 1:02 AM

Post #4 of 5 (5717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [weewillywinky] Open htmlArea in a Dialog Window [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks weewilly ... i will give it a try ... i had tried some time delays snips but being javascript illiterate i was unsuccessful ... and i was not sure where the timing problem was occuring ... will post if this is a fix ... nathan

wchris
New User

Sep 20, 2004, 9:39 AM

Post #5 of 5 (5703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [njag] Open htmlArea in a Dialog Window [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a novice to htmlArea, but....

I notice the error you quoted was 'HtmlArea undefined'. Is this a case issue. Have you referred to it as 'HtmlArea' when you should have referred to it as 'htmlArea'?

Search for (options)