htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Discussion:
Mac OSX Safari

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

conviveon
New User

Jun 17, 2004, 10:32 PM

Post #1 of 8 (36458 views)
Shortcut
Mac OSX Safari Can't Post

Has anyone gotten the HTML area to work under Mac Safari? Everything almost works but the controls don;t show up. An error meesage pops up saying it would try but don't hold your breath

AdamH
Novice

Jun 22, 2004, 1:46 AM

Post #2 of 8 (36412 views)
Shortcut
Re: [conviveon] Mac OSX Safari [In reply to] Can't Post

No HTMLArea relies on a lot of editing features built in to the browser. IE for Windows and Mozilla based browsers on all platforms have these. Safari, Opera, and Konqueror to name a few do not.

However KHTML which I beleive Konqueror and Safari are based on will soon include a port (?) of Midas (the editing featuers used to make HTMLArea work in Mozilla?).

So hopefully HTMLArea might be working in Safari around the end of the year.

pollie
New User

Feb 10, 2005, 5:48 AM

Post #3 of 8 (35624 views)
Shortcut
News for KHTML (Safari & Konqueror) users [In reply to] Can't Post

There seems to be absolutely no progress in implementing the MIDAS rich edit features to KHTML (which is used by Konqueror and Safari). Some mails related to this topic are going round in several developer mailing lists since about two years(!), but there is still not a single line of code added to KHTML's source base. The discussion started somewhere between the release of KDE/Konqueror v3.0.x or v3.1. Heck, most of them haven't even heard anything about MIDAS.

Btw. I can say for sure that there will be no support for Midas in KHTML included with the upcoming v3.4 release of KDE due to feature freezes. If anyone can (including MacOS/Safari users) PLEASE VOTE FOR THIS BUG here:

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=99042

(This post was edited by pollie on Feb 10, 2005, 4:20 PM)

nikotto
User

Feb 14, 2005, 2:01 AM

Post #4 of 8 (35449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pollie] News for KHTML (Safari & Konqueror) users [In reply to] Can't Post

actually i think this is the right bug:
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=48302
please vote for this one :D

there has been done allrady dome work.... nut not since December 2004

pollie
New User

Feb 14, 2005, 3:31 AM

Post #5 of 8 (35440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nikotto] News for KHTML (Safari & Konqueror) users [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm. I've read the other bug reports, too. But I found that there was actually no wish or bug report which DEMANDS MIDAS TO BE IMPLEMENTED but several discussions about I.E. hacks, ActiveX extensions, and of course a couple of entrys about Midas...

I think it is VERY important to vote for a well described wish instead of one of those f%@*?ng discussions which are going round since more than 2 years. I wanted to make FACTS with this wish/bug report instead of supporting senseless discussions.

nikotto
User

Feb 14, 2005, 5:06 AM

Post #6 of 8 (35425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pollie] News for KHTML (Safari & Konqueror) users [In reply to] Can't Post

midas isn't a standard either!
and i think they never will write a 100% mozilla-compatible midas-support...

the bug-id i found here:
http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.4-features.html
KHTML: Implement designmode. See Bug 48302. Leo Savernik <l.savernik at aon dot at>

so i suppose this is what they are working on
(or will start working hopefully soon)

pollie
New User

Feb 14, 2005, 8:47 AM

Post #7 of 8 (35402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nikotto] News for KHTML (Safari & Konqueror) users [In reply to] Can't Post

> midas isn't a standard either!

THIS would explain a lot :-)))

> and i think they never will write a 100% mozilla-compatible midas-support...

Why do you think so?!?

> the bug-id i found here:
> [..]

I've found the same entries in the KDE Bugzilla system. Believe me, I've read everything I found in context before I made those "what's going on, dudes?!?" posts. But I wasn't quite sure if this designmode thing was 100% the same we're talking off here because on the MIDAS specification site (at mozilla.org) there were a lot more commands and/or functions described than ever mentioned in the Bugzilla, or even in the KHTML source code (...but I have to review this again because since your last post I am no more 100% aware of what MIDAS exactly is. D'oh!)

> so i suppose this is what they are working on
> (or will start working hopefully soon)

Currently, there is no progress and there will be no progress until KDE v3.4 is released. I think of asking Leo S. about the future of this MIDAS thing but I'm afraid this dude is involved in many other projects...

Biggy
New User

Feb 16, 2005, 4:57 PM

Post #8 of 8 (35290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [conviveon] Mac OSX Safari [In reply to] Can't Post

htmlarea works under Mac OS X with Mozilla Firefox ....

Search for (options)