htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Discussion:
TEXT::ASPELL w/ Win32

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bill@wemc.net
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 12:14 AM

Post #1 of 30 (4112 views)
Shortcut
TEXT::ASPELL w/ Win32 Can't Post

It's been a long road for me tonight. I had to install ActivePerl and get it running then I installed Aspell and the en dict. A lot of false starts but then I thought I had it.

Got to the TEXT::ASPELL makefile and realized I don't have a way to build this mod for my Win32 install. Got the makefile build (finaly) but can't go anyplace from there. I guess I still have a lot to learn.

Has anyone got the new spellchecker running in Win32 (w/ IIS)?

mlall
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 10:18 AM

Post #2 of 30 (4094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bill@wemc.net] TEXT::ASPELL w/ Win32 [In reply to] Can't Post

did you try with the strip down (for now) version in this thread?
http://www.interactivetools.com/iforum/Open_Source_C3/htmlArea_v3.0_-_Alpha_Release_F14/HTMLArea_3.0-Beta_PHP_SpellChecker_0.5_P15802/

This version use the command line version of aspell with php so there is no need to install any new module librairie to php. If you know perl you can also port it from php to perl.

This version has still some limits but it's a good start.
I have some problem to make it as the perl version.

Lyme
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 12:27 PM

Post #3 of 30 (4091 views)
Shortcut

*sigh* it's possible to get aspell working with win32 but it really is a royal pain is the ass.

Your going to need to have a c++ compiler installed be it cygwin or msvc7 (I used msvc7).

Download activestate perl and install it (I used 5.8.0).
Download the gnu aspell and a dictionary and install both of them.
Download the aspell-dev-0-50-3-3.zip file on the http://aspell.net/win32/ page, and add the include directory into your include path for the compiler. Add the lib directory into the lib path for your compiler.
Add the aspell/bin program directory into the path.

Then:
Perl Makefile.pl
(all libraries must be found)
nmake
(msvc7 make utility)
nmake test
(needs to pass)
nmake install
(finally perl will know aspell exists)

Then go into iis, being up properties on the main site, home directory tab, and hit configure. Add the .cgi extention with the perlis.dll as the program (in the perl bin directory), set it for GET,HEAD,POST.
Hit apply.

Assuming you have the rest of htmlarea 3.0 setup properly spelling should work. You can check it out by posting a comment on my personal web site.

http://planning.mine.nu/Jason

bill@wemc.net
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 1:16 PM

Post #4 of 30 (4086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lyme] TEXT::ASPELL w/ Win32 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the tips. I'll play with it tonight. I think I have about 1/3 of it done already.

Got activestate installed and working w/ IIS.
Installed the GNU stuff. Created the makefile... then started running into problems. The makefile util gave me warnings that several libraries could not be found. Will have to look into that. Need to dl the compiler and start that whole mess.

You are right, this is a pain but it will be worth it.

Lyme
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 2:29 PM

Post #5 of 30 (4083 views)
Shortcut

You'll want to know that activestate while it sets up iis to run perl programs, it does not configure iis to run perl files with the .cgi extention.

bill@wemc.net
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 2:50 PM

Post #6 of 30 (4082 views)
Shortcut

got that. Trying now to get the watcom compiler to work. Not having much luck. Where can I get the compiler you used. Don't see a download site for it.

bill@wemc.net
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 2:59 PM

Post #7 of 30 (4081 views)
Shortcut

Oh, I feel so stupid! MicroSoft Visual C 7.

duh! Don't have it. Watcom would not install the objects. I guess I can try w/ cywin. Will the steps be the same?

bill@wemc.net
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 3:31 PM

Post #8 of 30 (4079 views)
Shortcut

Okay, that was not the answer. Being a C know-nothing this if all greak to me. I guess I will have to wait until someone comes up w/ an idiot prof solution. Till then, thanks for all the hard work.

Lyme
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 4:28 PM

Post #9 of 30 (4078 views)
Shortcut

With cygwin steps should be the same. Basicly you want to download the cygwin setup program and have it install the gcc compiler.

I would normally make a package of what the compile made, however because of the way perl mods work it is extremely difficult to do.

(This post was edited by Lyme on Aug 14, 2003, 4:29 PM)

bill@wemc.net
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 4:41 PM

Post #10 of 30 (4076 views)
Shortcut

Thanks. My cygwin must not have included the gcc compiler. Make does not exist as an executable when I try $ MAKE

I think I'm going to play around w the PHP version for a while, but if you do build a package install that would be great.

bill@wemc.net
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 4:54 PM

Post #11 of 30 (4075 views)
Shortcut

I guess PHP was not the solution either. I guess until someone can create a solution that's as simple as a setup.exe I will spell-checker-less.

Thanks again.

Lyme
Novice

Aug 14, 2003, 9:07 PM

Post #12 of 30 (4070 views)
Shortcut

Sad to hear your giving up so easily. What you need to do with cygwin is during the setup process it will list a number of packages. Most packages when you expand the tree will have 'skip' next to them. You need to go down to the compiler group and choose the gcc and make utils.

weeezl
Novice

Aug 15, 2003, 1:18 AM

Post #13 of 30 (4064 views)
Shortcut

I'm having problems with this install as well. It seems that compiling through cygwin or using NMAKE doesn't make a difference. I still get a long list of missing libraries. Am I missing modules in cygwin or is there some other problem?

oldnames.lib
kernel32.lib
user32.lib
gdi32.lib
winspool.lib
comdlg.lib

ect, ect...

bill@wemc.net
Novice

Aug 15, 2003, 10:45 AM

Post #14 of 30 (4052 views)
Shortcut

ah, I see. When I did the install I thought everything was checked by default. I will try agian this weekend. However I was also having a number of libs not found when I ran the makefile.pl

mlall
Novice

Aug 15, 2003, 11:00 AM

Post #15 of 30 (4049 views)
Shortcut

The PHP version work I just tested it.
I tested it on windows 98 with Apache+PHP 4.2.1

Attached you can find the PHP version which use the Command line version of Aspell. So there is abolutely no need to install anything else than the aspell binaries found at this URL: http://aspell.net/win32/.

To try it don't forget to change in spell-check-ui.html the form action to spell-check-logic.php instead of spell-check-logic.cgi.

There is TWO PHP version one which call the aspell software directly and one which use the pspell library from PHP.
And change the $aspellcommand value to adapt to your configuration.
Attachments: spell-check-logic.php (3.88 KB)
  Windows 98.png (27.4 KB)

Lyme
Novice

Aug 15, 2003, 11:43 AM

Post #16 of 30 (4047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [weeezl] TEXT::ASPELL w/ Win32 [In reply to] Can't Post

The libs not being found is a problem with gcc not being configured in your enviroment properly. Depending on where you installed gcc and it's root folder name you'll need to do something like this:
SET include=c:\program files\gcc\include;c:\program files\gcc\include\sys;
SET lib=c:\program files\gcc\lib;

of course you'll have to add the include and lib directories of the source to aspell to those as well.

weeezl
Novice

Aug 15, 2003, 1:53 PM

Post #17 of 30 (4038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mlall] TEXT::ASPELL w/ Win32 [In reply to] Can't Post

Close but still not there...

I get this error trying to use the PHP file:

Warning: shell_exec(): Unable to execute 'type ./\spe14.tmp | c:\Aspell\bin\aspell -a --mode=none --add-filter=sgml --lang=en_US' in D:\Aurelius\admin\HTMLArea\plugins\SpellChecker\spell-check-logic.php on line 35

ideas?

mlall
Novice

Aug 15, 2003, 1:57 PM

Post #18 of 30 (4037 views)
Shortcut

can you try to change c:\Aspell\bin\aspell with c:\Aspell\bin\aspell.exe
and check that the aspell.exe file is really in c:\Aspell\bin\

weeezl
Novice

Aug 15, 2003, 2:39 PM

Post #19 of 30 (4032 views)
Shortcut

That's not it. The command line variable is fine. The script is reporting having problems with the $temptext variable and I can't figure out how this is being generated anyway...

mlall
Novice

Aug 15, 2003, 2:51 PM

Post #20 of 30 (4031 views)
Shortcut

this $temptext contain a temporary filename which will contain the HTMLArea content provided by the $_POST['content'] variable.

On line 23 to 32 I put this content in the temporary file.

after that I run the command line.

can you try to change the line with:
$temptext = tempnam('./', 'spell_');

to

$temptext = tempnam('', 'spell_');

bill@wemc.net
Novice

Aug 16, 2003, 11:09 AM

Post #21 of 30 (4005 views)
Shortcut

I am afraid I am having a similar issue w/ the PHP version. Getting this in the spellcheck frame:

PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in D:\wwwroot\htmlarea3\plugins\SpellChecker\spell-check-logic.php on line 98

bill@wemc.net
Novice

Aug 16, 2003, 11:34 AM

Post #22 of 30 (4004 views)
Shortcut

WhoHo! Got it. Let me fill others in w/ some of the bone head mistakes I made.

First. Make user the $aspellcommand = on line 12 matches your drive mapping

Second. Make sure anon users have add right in the temp dir. In my case I have a couple temp dirs and I was looking at the wrong one for this apps rights.

Figured this out by re-reading the posts again. I also added some debug prints to the text at lines 20:

print $temptext;
print $aspellcommand;

Thats how I figured out I had it wrong.

DrClaw
Novice

Sep 5, 2003, 11:11 AM

Post #23 of 30 (3893 views)
Shortcut

I Keep geting this error:

Warning: shell_exec(): Unable to execute 'type C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\spe14.tmp | c:\Aspell\bin\aspell -a --mode=none --add-filter=sgml --lang=en_US' in D:\Aurelius\admin\HTMLArea\plugins\SpellChecker\spell-check-logic.php on line 35

I have tried everything. i know they path to aspell is correct, and i know i have given write access to everyone (for testing only) to the temp directory. I just downloaded the binary aspell file posted above and installed it, and changed the .cgi to .php in the spell-check-ui.html file, and made sure i had the access for the anon user. what am i missing? I am trying this on IIS 6 WIN 2003. please help.

mlall
Novice

Sep 5, 2003, 10:46 PM

Post #24 of 30 (3857 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DrClaw] TEXT::ASPELL w/ Win32 [In reply to] Can't Post

can you try to run the command line:
type C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\spe14.tmp | c:\Aspell\bin\aspell -a --mode=none --add-filter=sgml --lang=en_US

with of course a file which contain some text in C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\spe14.tmp

does the aspell.exe file has the right to be executed by the user which run the web server IIS6?

Same question for the "type" command?

Try to make a simple PHP script which you call directly and run the command to see if there is still an error. It's sometimes easier to find the error with making a simple script with the part which is having problem.

Let me know.

DrClaw
Novice

Sep 8, 2003, 11:34 AM

Post #25 of 30 (3832 views)
Shortcut

thanks for the quick reply!
i get this error when i try to run the script against a file with text in it:

C:\Aspell\bin>c:\aspell\bin\spell_635.txt | c:\Aspell\bin\a
--add-filter=sgml --lang=en_US
Error: No word lists can be found for the language "en_US".

i'm not sure if i'm just missing something, or i didn't install something that i was supposed to.
-Doc

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options)